Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center won't/can't fix car [suspension - aftermarket suspension installed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I noticed my front right lateral link was loose, which is a relatively common issue on Model 3 (tow truck driver even said "i had the same yesterday") and there was even a recall for it previously, and reached out to Tesla to get some help. I initially asked if they could send someone to quickly tighten it since it was a pretty simple problem, but they said that it required a shop visit since it was on the suspension and thus a tow. They told me to call roadside and they would be able to help me out, so i did.

PXL_20220415_175726415.jpg

After towing the car to the service center, they noticed that i have aftermarket coilovers installed which is true and i offered to pay for these repairs since i understand my coilovers impact the warranty - even though this problem is seemingly common on M3. They then said they needed to keep the car for a while and after a few days told me they were waiting on a replacement part, sounds good.

PXL_20220505_182228000.jpg

Well 2 weeks after initially calling them they finally call me and say "we can't fix this" which was fairly surprising. I even asked if they could install the stock components (coilovers, sway bar etc) while doing the work so NOTHING was aftermarket and they said no.

They suggested I call a collision center or other shop to work on the car and said they wouldn't work on it further. I'm now working with Unplugged Performance who is located a bit further away from me, but can hopefully address this problem since they are fairly capable and this should be fairly straightforward.

Morale of the story: Be very careful if you have aftermarket items installed on the car and do NOT expect Tesla service to bail you out in a jam. This is particularly scary for me since I am wondering what i would do if on a road trip and not near LA with a second vehicle available to drive. Previously i assumed i would just pay more and be OK, but it seems a flat out refusal to perform service is quite possible. I am heavily considering selling my car since my warranty period is almost up and I'm getting concerned with both reliability of the car and service's ability to be at all useful.

tesla will go out of their ****ing way to deny warranty claims if they even sense they can blame it on something you did with aftermarket parts. They didn't even want to fix my horns not working because I installed a light in the frunk. They said I had to return my wiring to stock. I even filed a complaint with the attorney general and Tesla pulled some warranty sh i t out of their ass trying to relate my light install to the horn issue. Well, I rescheduled a mobile tech to come out and fix it this week. he didn't know what he was doing and pulled the frunk out, pulled the bumper half off because he didn't know where the horns were. But when he finally did get to the horns he found the factory didn't install the connector to the horn all the way. What do you know, now they work. I would have done it myself had I know it was just a connector issue. Had NOTHING to do with the light I installed.

tesla will go out of their ****ing way to deny warranty claims if they even sense they can blame it on something you did with aftermarket parts.

What gets me is that I explicitly offered to pay for this since i realized they have a decent point about voiding warranty. While this problem seems to be pretty common on Model 3, i did change the coilovers so I was willing to pay for a repair. The fact they flat out decline to help and leave me with few alternatives is scary, many shops wont even touch Tesla's so this could leave someone in quite a pickle.

Seems they are so overloaded these days (heard them calling multiple people to push back service dates) that they go out of their way to just deny doing anything. Remember how Tesla got rid of all that preventive maintenance and claimed the cars didn't need it? Hmm

Reactions: DiyEvRepair
I guess I’m confused as to what needs fixed? Retorque the bolts to 100ftlbs and move on.

Also I see a pic of the car on track in your profile pic, those bolts should be checked after every track day if not every session if not using the MPP Solid FLCA Bearings

I know right, i'm surprised they can't do this. I no longer have the equipment to safely lift the vehicle so I couldn't do this myself. Believe me i considered asking around for some quick-jacks to do this myself and never thought it would be such a headache going through service.

Thanks for the (possibly backhanded) tip on torqueing the suspension, that's been done after every track day and this car hasn't seen a track in at least 2 years.

I know right, i'm surprised they can't do this. I no longer have the equipment to safely lift the vehicle so I couldn't do this myself. Believe me i considered asking around for some quick-jacks to do this myself and never thought it would be such a headache going through service.

Thanks for the (possibly backhanded) tip on torqueing the suspension, that's been done after every track day and this car hasn't seen a track in at least 2 years.
Not intended to be backhanded at all, mine would loosen after 4-5 Autocross events so I kept a pretty close eye on them until I changed them out for the MPP bearings

There’s a reason I no longer install any aftermarket parts, or at least during the warranty period. That reason is in the first point. Don’t install aftermarket parts on your car unless you’re willing to void part of your warranty and be forced to get related things only repaired at your cost at a non factory shop.

But even ignoring the warranty since i offered to pay and/or go back to stock components, this is essentially Tesla refusing to touch a Tesla component (not aftermarket) where it attaches to the cars subframe. I guess I can see their point of view, but when we have very few other alternative shops it can leave people in a tough spot which is the main reason I want people to be aware of this.

Last edited:
Not intended to be backhanded at all, mine would loosen after 4-5 Autocross events so I kept a pretty close eye on them until I changed them out for the MPP bearings

I should have upgraded mine, i've seen people use stabilizing inserts that also seem like a good idea. This is extra frustrating since i explicitly remember torqueing the suspension after my last track day for a while, but in hindsight should have used all new hardware and/or ensured the fasteners had ample locktite on them.

But even ignoring the warranty since i offered to pay, this is essentially Tesla refusing to touch a Tesla component (not aftermarket). I can see the point of view, but when we have very few other alternative shops it can leave people in a tough spot which is the main reason I want people to be aware of this.

I’ve swapped out factory parts with upgraded factory parts for the same made and model only to be told they wont work on it, even to put it back. Usually it’s along the lines of it didn’t come on your VIN so not going to happen.

Third party shops don’t want to deal with it after they put in it, or only to point. I’ve had shops complain about doing the work because it’s taking too long or it’s too complicated, and how they’d rather be doing this job or that job that takes minutes instead of hours even if they make far less. But you offer the service, accepted the job, and you can’t get enough of the simple / high profit work to keep you busy all day / every day. Then you can’t get the factory or the third party to help you.

As you mentioned, people need to be aware they may get no support from factory or even some third party shops. Either that or the third party might not have enough experience.

I’ve swapped out computers, cameras, stereos, wiring harness and all sorts of more mechanical stuff. Usually from a later year car or an updated model. Always using factory parts. Still it’s always a problem either getting it in and running or getting support from dealer or shops after the fact.

Yes, people need to be aware.

Tesla has refused warranty on blown window motors because people spliced in door lights or just even swapping for third party bulbs. Doesn’t take much.

Reactions: kbecks13
Tesla has refused warranty on blown window motors because people spliced in door lights or just even swapping for third party bulbs. Doesn’t take much.

But would you expect them to refuse to work on it altogether even for a charge? That's the clear differentiator i'm seeing here, Tesla not wanting to touch a Tesla component because of an adjacent modification. Appreciate the comment and discussion though!

This is one of those "negatives" in the manufacturer being the one selling the car and providing service, imo. There are some positives, but this is one of the clear negatives.

If this was an ICE vehicle, you would be able to get a dealer to do whatever you wanted, if you were willing to pay for it. Since tesla is the manufacturer and servicer, this is what happens in these cases, at least until there are more 3rd party type shops.

But would you expect them to refuse to work on it altogether even for a charge? That's the clear differentiator i'm seeing here, Tesla not wanting to touch a Tesla component because of an adjacent modification. Appreciate the comment and discussion though!

I swapped out a backup camera with a different one from same make, but different model. They refused to calibrate the camera afterwards as it was not shipped on car and not the approved part number for my vin. They had the software to calibrate. I wasn’t claiming warranty and offered to pay whatever their rate was. They wouldn’t put it back to original. Nor would they calibrate their own part (from a different car). Had to go to third party who was a pain to work with.

This has been my numerous experiences with various luxury brands. Dealers seem to have a strict policy.

Oddly enough I remember my Toyota dealer had no problem working on my Lexus back in the day; as long as the work wasn’t too specialized. They weren’t a Lexus dealer and offered to get the parts for me as well. They charged me Toyota rates on the Lexus as well. They also had no problems with my aftermarket mods; so long as it wasn’t warranty related.

Tesla, Audi, Porsche, Lexus, and Mercedes dealers have shown to be strict every time so I had to find multiple third party shops since no one does everything a dealer would.

These hassles aren’t worth it anymore. I only do it if it’s something I can swap out before taking in and it’s something that doesn’t leave a system log or require back door programming.

If this was an ICE vehicle, you would be able to get a dealer to do whatever you wanted, if you were willing to pay for it. Since tesla is the manufacturer and servicer, this is what happens in these cases, at least until there are more 3rd party type shops.

I’ve quite the opposite experiences with dealers of ICE cars. If it’s not original or directly placement factory part they won’t touch it regardless of payment.

I do agree that the current problem with EV’s is the drastically low 3rd party options for EV work. And many are specialized for only cartoon types of work. Even in major metro areas of places like Los Angeles I’m states like California where EV sales are high compared to many other states the options for 3rd party shops are still thin and prob will continue for the “near” future.

They had me sign a waiver due to having an aftermarket PPF wrap, that they would not be responsible for any damage to it. I presume it's the same concern for not wanting to work on it (or did they already have you sign such a paper)? It could also be because they are unusually swamped right now, I read another thread that some SCs are now charging a $300 diagnosis fee now for collision related repairs because they don't want to deal with those (instead want people to go to third party authorized body shops).

They had me sign a waiver due to having an aftermarket PPF wrap, that they would not be responsible for any damage to it.

I signed something similar in the past when they noticed i had aftermarket components, basically waiving all liability and claims against them and i'm totally cool with doing so. This time it seems they really just didn't want to help out and im sure being super busy was part of it.

So I noticed my front right lateral link was loose, which is a relatively common issue on Model 3 (tow truck driver even said "i had the same yesterday") and there was even a recall for it previously, and reached out to Tesla to get some help. [...]
After towing the car to the service center, they noticed that i have aftermarket coilovers installed which is true and i offered to pay for these repairs since i understand my coilovers impact the warranty - even though this problem is seemingly common on M3. [...]
Well 2 weeks after initially calling them they finally call me and say "we can't fix this" which was fairly surprising.

While clearly disappointing (and a bit assholish), this response is not entirely surprising. Upgrading parts on a car always runs the risk of warranty complications.
Tesla is known for lousy and inconsistent customer service. If you take your car to another SC, you might get a different answer.

This is also a direct outcome of dealer-less retail model - there is NO-ONE at the SC who benefits from advocating for customer-favoring outcomes in marginal situations. It is in Tesla's interest to deny warranty claims as it saves Elon money. Every time.

They suggested I call a collision center or other shop to work on the car and said they wouldn't work on it further. I'm now working with Unplugged Performance who is located a bit further away from me, but can hopefully address this problem since they are fairly capable and this should be fairly straightforward.

That is not an unreasonable approach - installing and servicing aftermarket suspension come in one package. If you do the former, you should be prepared to pay for the letter.

But even ignoring the warranty since i offered to pay and/or go back to stock components, this is essentially Tesla refusing to touch a Tesla component (not aftermarket) where it attaches to the cars subframe. I guess I can see their point of view, but when we have very few other alternative shops it can leave people in a tough spot which is the main reason I want people to be aware of this.

Fair point, and this is the consideration I referred to with my "a bit assholish" comment.
Tightening that bolt would take less time then it took to put the car on a lift, or write-up an explanation as to why they refused to do the work.
If an SC wanted to do "right by the customer", they would have torqued the bolt to spec and been done with it.

They didn't care.
So they didn't do it.
And being the OEM and the service center all in one, there not much you can do about this outcome, outside of kick-starting a legal challenge.

a

There’s a reason I no longer install any aftermarket parts, or at least during the warranty period. That reason is in the first point. Don’t install aftermarket parts on your car unless you’re willing to void part of your warranty and be forced to get related things only repaired at your cost at a non factory shop.

This 100%. As someone that owns 2 jeeps I speak from experience although I've never been denied a repair.

Not sure why OP wouldn't just pay the shop that installed the aftermarket coilover to tighten the bolt...related or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeremymc7
I’ve quite the opposite experiences with dealers of ICE cars. If it’s not original or directly placement factory part they won’t touch it regardless of payment.

Not at all my experience.
With traditional dealers, service centers run their own P&L. They make money off the work you bring them, and they want to stay in business.
I've had BMW dealers in 3 states work on my aftermarket suspensions, perform track inspections, align wheels to my preferred track spec using adjustable (aftermarket) camber plates, etc, etc. I had warranty work authorized on the OEM E36 M3 shocks that were transferred to my wife's (non-M) car as part of wholesale suspension swap on that car.

When you have a relationship with a dealer and know the service guys who work on your car by name (and leave their favorite beer inside the car for them when you bring a car for service), positive things can and do happen.

When you drop the car off at a nameless service center owned by an OEM, which refuses to pick-up the calls from you, then you get exactly what is being described.

I do agree that the current problem with EV’s is the drastically low 3rd party options for EV work. And many are specialized for only cartoon types of work. Even in major metro areas of places like Los Angeles I’m states like California where EV sales are high compared to many other states the options for 3rd party shops are still thin and prob will continue for the “near” future.

Another aspect of the problem is that Tesla is very stingy with releasing technical specs and procedures to work on their cars. To either independent shops or the owners. If an independent 3rd party shop can't reliably and readily get torque specs on Tesla suspension bolts, why would you want to touch that brand's cars?

Tesla has made minimal efforts to build or support a healthy 3rd party ecosystem of independent body and repair shops for its brand.
They prefer to maintain a monopoly on parts, service, warranty approvals, and support.

It may be good for Tesla (arguably in the short term only, and bad for the long term).
But it's bad for the owners.
We all have implicitly accepted this trade-off when we bought a Tesla.

Reactions: kbecks13
Not sure why OP wouldn't just pay the shop that installed the aftermarket coilover to tighten the bolt...related or not.

They are located further away and this started with me asking Tesla if they could just send a mobile tech to do it since i've read many others had that done, but yes i'm doing that now.

Another aspect of the problem is that Tesla is very stingy with releasing technical specs and procedures to work on their cars. To either independent shops or the owners. If an independent 3rd party shop can't reliably and readily get torque specs on Tesla suspension bolts, why would you want to touch that brand's cars?

Tesla has made minimal efforts to build or support a healthy 3rd party ecosystem of independent body and repair shops for its brand.
They prefer to maintain a monopoly on parts, service, warranty approvals, and support.

It may be good for Tesla (arguably in the short term only, and bad for the long term).
But it's bad for the owners.
We all have implicitly accepted this trade-off when we bought a Tesla.

Well said and agreed