Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center won't/can't fix car [suspension - aftermarket suspension installed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I noticed my front right lateral link was loose, which is a relatively common issue on Model 3 (tow truck driver even said "i had the same yesterday") and there was even a recall for it previously, and reached out to Tesla to get some help. I initially asked if they could send someone to quickly tighten it since it was a pretty simple problem, but they said that it required a shop visit since it was on the suspension and thus a tow. They told me to call roadside and they would be able to help me out, so i did.

PXL_20220415_175726415.jpg

After towing the car to the service center, they noticed that i have aftermarket coilovers installed which is true and i offered to pay for these repairs since i understand my coilovers impact the warranty - even though this problem is seemingly common on M3. They then said they needed to keep the car for a while and after a few days told me they were waiting on a replacement part, sounds good.

PXL_20220505_182228000.jpg

Well 2 weeks after initially calling them they finally call me and say "we can't fix this" which was fairly surprising. I even asked if they could install the stock components (coilovers, sway bar etc) while doing the work so NOTHING was aftermarket and they said no.

They suggested I call a collision center or other shop to work on the car and said they wouldn't work on it further. I'm now working with Unplugged Performance who is located a bit further away from me, but can hopefully address this problem since they are fairly capable and this should be fairly straightforward.

Morale of the story: Be very careful if you have aftermarket items installed on the car and do NOT expect Tesla service to bail you out in a jam. This is particularly scary for me since I am wondering what i would do if on a road trip and not near LA with a second vehicle available to drive. Previously i assumed i would just pay more and be OK, but it seems a flat out refusal to perform service is quite possible. I am heavily considering selling my car since my warranty period is almost up and I'm getting concerned with both reliability of the car and service's ability to be at all useful.