Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center wont honor repeater warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As soon as they added the feature of the repeater cams showing what's in the blind spot when the turn signal is on (which is a nice feature), we noticed this blinding at night. I can't perceive it at all during daytime.

I was at the Palo Alto, CA SC last week for some other things, and thought to ask the service advisor about this. I was surprised by two parts of the response:
  1. She had never heard of the problem.
  2. She went and discussed it with a tech and reported back. It's a known problem, she said. Yep. And here's the surprising part: it'll be fixed in a forthcoming firmware update.
Huh. It's an optical/mechanical problem. Addressing it with software was unexpected and got my BS detector going. But just maybe it's true. There could be two approaches:
  1. The computer takes a freeze frame of the last frame before the light blinks on, and holds that frame on the display until the light goes off again and live video resumes. This would obviously yield a stuttering video, but it might not be too bad.
  2. If (and I don't know this to be true) the light is not continuous, but rather a high-speed stroboscopic pulse, the video frames could be timed between the pulses. This may sound nuts at first, but my bike headlight is like this. It seems like continuous light to the eye, but is in fact pulsing very fast (maybe 60 Hz?), which is evident in rain, for example. The bike light is an LED.
Anyway, I'm skeptical of the notion of a software fix for this problem, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

I do think there's a valid argument for warranty repair, though. Even though our car is out of warranty, we had no way during the warranty period of detecting this defect since the software didn't yet give us a way to detect it. It seems unfair for warranty to expire on a part that was not fully used yet.

Of course now wasn’t there news that Tesla signed a deal with Samsung (or someone else) to start providing 4K cameras. If and when this gets rolled out who knows and will 4K be used for all cameras or just select ones. Will they be swapping out cameras for FSD purchasers. Again who knows.