Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service centers and the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that Tesla is going to have to drastically increase the number of service centers. The Model S is a great car, but it's really not very reliable as witness Consumer Reports and from personal experience. I can't imagine that the Model 3, at least in the first few years, won't be the same or worse. If the word on the street is that owners are waiting 4-6 weeks for service, it's going to be a huge negative.

Setting up that many service centers, in addition to the Superchargers they'll need, may well be doable, but it's going to take a very large chunk of capital.

Tesla is already adding second shifts at some service centers. Check out the job postings to see the details. As an auto tech I can tell you all the negatives of you working a second shift at any other job as far as family time and social life and stuff exist working on cars at night. I think the issue now is they announced service center and supercharger expansion, but they werent prepared for 50% of the first week demand for the model 3. I think second shifts and center expansion will be ramped up beyond even what they initially planned. As someone with both a Model 3 reservation and an interest to work for Tesla in service eventually thats a good thing. The capital involved in opening even a service only center is pretty intensive. You have to look at property cost, large amounts of equipment cost (an alignment machine is 10K+, nice lifts are north of 2-3k), as well as technician training and other needs such as trucks and trailers. It will come, just depends how much money they want to have to borrow on how fast

I'm not worried. My experience with Tesla service so far has been exceptional. I managed to damage our Model S by driving through water (the rear underside cover came loose and was damaged, rendering the vehicle undrivable). From the moment I contacted roadside assistance until my car was repaired (less than 24 hours later, and at a cost less than half of what I had guessed it might cost) the entire process surprised me in a good way.

People who expect problems probably do not understand that dealing with Tesla Service is fundamentally different from anything they've ever experienced related to car repair shops. I was communicated with in a timely way via phone, E-mail, and text message (whichever was most appropriate). I was given frequent updates and accurate estimates for time and cost. It was clear that repairing the car quickly was a priority to Tesla, even though the damage was my own fault.

I'm pretty sure that they'll plan for and execute whatever expansion and staffing is needed in order to accommodate demand. Those who continue to doubt that Tesla will be able to accomplish what needs to be done may be have a hard time imagining that it's possible because they assume that Tesla will do things the way that "it's always been done" by other car companies!

I was told that there is a "roving Tesla Service Mechanic" stations in my home town. He can come to the car and perform any service issues. For major ones, he then calls for Loaner and hauls to a bigger service center. Further, I hear that a new service center is on the fast track for being built.

OK, that covers the worries I had- Otherwise my SC was a 150 mile one-way trip. Cant say what happens in other markets, but at the cost of hiring a mechanic and giving some Tesla training, they can build up a fleet of folks to take care of you fairly quickly. I have a buddy that was such a Factory Rep for Delorean that had a trunkful of gull wing springs. and tried to keep customers happy all over the SW US. Will Tesla hire a similar staff? My bet is Yes.

In Australia there is a city (Perth) of about 1.2 million people, which is 2500 km from the next major city and 3400 km from the nearest Tesla service centre. I understand Tesla flies someone out there to spend 2-3 weeks doing any maintenance/service that is required for Perth based customers.

Australia is a similar size to the contiguous United States, but a much smaller population. Your "flyover states" are metropolises in comparison to our desert!

My guess is that TM will have to first expand its service offerings by increasing the number of service locations and adding 10 to 15 more Techs per location. TM will have to add more Service Advisors and Services Managers. TM may also ramp up it's at home service for the S and X owners and lastly more loaner cars per location.

OK, that covers the worries I had- Otherwise my SC was a 150 mile one-way trip.
Lucky you, being so close to a service center. Try 230 miles each way. It's actually not possible to do the trip in winter without charging.

I've mentioned this before but Tesla needs an upstate NY service center -- preferably Syracuse NY -- and they need it about a year ago.

Maritime Canada is also in dire need of a service center.

As for Australia, obviously Tesla will need a service center in Perth in order to sell significant numbers of cars there.

Despite this, Tesla is rather thoughtlessly expanding to new countries rather than building service centers in the countries it's already selling cars in...

Autonomous cars are at least 5-8 years off in the US but probably sooner in Europe. Roads in the US are poorly and inconsistently marked. It will take a lot of work at the state level to make this happen. Only several states even have laws which address this.

I am 62 miles each way to my service center and with the launch of the Model X they are burried. The problem is there are no current plans to add another service center near me. They also don't have enough loaner cars to handle the demand do there are times you can't get a loaner when having work done.

I am also 70 miles from closest supercharger.

That's a lot to assume when it comes to Tesla. Have they even solved the 12v battery issue yet? I guess I can get a ride up to Orileys everytime that happens though.
If we assume for a moment they still have that issue and you preemptively replace it at every service visit, you'd be fine and still have one visit a year.

I do hope there's a more permanent fix in the Model 3 for that issue.

I cringe thinking about this. Still only one service center around me. Unless another one opens up by the end of the year I will cancel the reservation.
It's enlightening to have people that don't own a Tesla discuss with great confidence the Tesla ownership experience. I own a Tesla in a state that has banned the sale and service of Teslas. The nearest service center is 200 miles away in Chicago. The ownership and service experience has been excellent. This is anecdotal, but most large surveys support the quality of the Tesla buying and ownership experience. Car Brands Ranked by Owner Satisfaction

But don't listen to me or the overwhelming majority of others that have real world experience, listen to those that have opinions that are only supported by their own certainty. Cancel away, many more will take your place. Legions.

It's enlightening to have people that don't own a Tesla discuss with great confidence the Tesla ownership experience. I own a Tesla in a state that has banned the sale and service of Teslas. The nearest service center is 200 miles away in Chicago. The ownership and service experience has been excellent. This is anecdotal, but most large surveys support the quality of the Tesla buying and ownership experience. Car Brands Ranked by Owner Satisfaction

But don't listen to me or the overwhelming majority of others that have real world experience, listen to those that have opinions that are only supported by their own certainty. Cancel away, many more will take your place. Legions.

I think @hockeythug's point is that the service experience will only decline with hundreds of thousands of more Tesla vehicles on the roads and Tesla, up to this point, has been unable to open new service centers at a comparable pace.

I think it's a pretty reasonable concern.

Reactions: Troy and hockeythug