Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Centers...how do you communicate w/them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my MS for about 2 months, it is a 2013 but luckily for me has the 4-year Extended Service Agreement intact.

Poking around various threads on this forum I see people mentioning reaching out to SC's and getting quotes about various upgrades or replacements, or asking them questions about issues here or there.

I tried emailing my service center's email several times to try to ask them about some upgrade options or get info about pricing...never got a response. I've tried calling their number and leaving voicemails, never gotten a response. The only way I've been able to talk to anyone was to make an appointment (3 weeks out) and then have someone call me 2 days before the appointment. Even at that time I tried to ask some other questions and the guy pretty much only would talk about the one issue I had written down in my service appointment request.

Technically I do still have this guy's number and email, but I don't feel like it's right to just start badgering him with questions about "how much would it cost to upgrade _____?" or "does my car qualify for a new ______?". That said, I don't know what other way I can even check these things without just booking an appointment and waiting.

Is there a better way to do this?

The trick i learned is that after having one service, they send you that text message status. Turns out if you keep that in your phone and text back to the number, a pop up goes on all the SC employees screens and the first one to answer will get back to you. I also have the email group fro the SC i go to. You can ask them for it.

Technically I do still have this guy's number and email, but I don't feel like it's right to just start badgering him with questions about "how much would it cost to upgrade _____?" or "does my car qualify for a new ______?". That said, I don't know what other way I can even check these things without just booking an appointment and waiting.

For questions about available upgrades and their prices you should be able to see that in your online Tesla account, or if they are accessory type things you are adding there is a shopping page that lists the installed prices of things requiring service center installation and you can purchase them and then schedule it.

For questions about available upgrades and their prices you should be able to see that in your online Tesla account, or if they are accessory type things you are adding there is a shopping page that lists the installed prices of things requiring service center installation and you can purchase them and then schedule it.

I guess I was thinking of things like 3G -> LTE modem upgrade, or installation of parking sensors. I haven't been able to find any concrete info on how much things like that cost and heard that it can vary by service station. I haven't been able to find those online, but are they listed on Tesla's site anywhere?

That only applies to software upgrades or add on accessories. There is info on much for new tires, or for DU fluid change, or other services.

I live in Maryland and I find it best to call them. Especially if you want the earliest possible appointment time. The app usually gives me an appointment 2 or 3 days later. I also got a text message when I dropped my car off the first time. I sometime use that to communicate with them as well.

That is strange they did not respond. I sent an email to the Orlando Service center, and almost immediately got a response.
They texted my phone when the tech would arrive at my work, and when he arrived, I received a text saying arrived.
The tech was very friendly, and answered a few questions of mine. I did not want to load him down with questions, but he answered the few I had, and even confirmed the 3G to LTE upgrade was in the area of $500. That will be my next upgrade, when I have an extra $500.

Reactions: shirosan
I live in Maryland and I find it best to call them. Especially if you want the earliest possible appointment time. The app usually gives me an appointment 2 or 3 days later.

That is strange they did not respond. I sent an email to the Orlando Service center, and almost immediately got a response.

Hmm...maybe San Diego's service center is just significantly busier than others. I called and emailed several times, and whenever I want to make an appointment, the soonest one is usually 3 weeks away :/

I have had my MS for about 2 months, it is a 2013 but luckily for me has the 4-year Extended Service Agreement intact.

Poking around various threads on this forum I see people mentioning reaching out to SC's and getting quotes about various upgrades or replacements, or asking them questions about issues here or there.

I tried emailing my service center's email several times to try to ask them about some upgrade options or get info about pricing...never got a response. I've tried calling their number and leaving voicemails, never gotten a response. The only way I've been able to talk to anyone was to make an appointment (3 weeks out) and then have someone call me 2 days before the appointment. Even at that time I tried to ask some other questions and the guy pretty much only would talk about the one issue I had written down in my service appointment request.

Have you tried communicating with a box of donuts? :p