Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Centre broke my juddering display but would not replace under warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Write to Tesla in the UK and see what they say. If they decline, I’d probably try a small claim in the UK- you don’t have much to lose. Just do your homework on who your taking to court (and why). Tesla will probably either settle in advance or just no show.

Legal jurisdiction hard to say without your repair quote/invoice/car purchase paperwork.

There is a Tesla Spain (Tesla Spain, S.L.U., Calle de la Metalurgia 38-42, 08038, Barcelona) assuming this is a separate legal entity.

You probably bought your car from Tesla Motors Ltd or a finance company did in the UK.

The warranty is with Tesla Motors Netherlands B.V.

Probably all wholly owned subsidiaries of Tesla Inc.

One line of thought: You booked the appointment with your UK app - did Tesla effectively contract the repair to a different subsidiary. Think principal contractor. They could have said ‘no’, you’ll need to get the car towed back to the Uk under breakdown.
All good pointers. It shall all be done. As well as a bit of social media palaver ;-)

Sorry if this has already been covered, but do you have in writing somewhere that you were paying for the repair under duress, and intended to seek a full refund due to your travel situation and the evidence you have that shows the damage was caused in their care? This may mean nothing to the service centre staff, but will to someone who can escalate or deal with the complaint at a high enough level. Don't bother with anything legal until you've exhausted all efforts with Tesla management. If you show you mean business and present all of the images and the above info I don't think you'll find it too hard to get your money back. Make sure you don't scrub the metadata from the images.

I don't think it's uncommon generally, but this is a really bad example of a garage trying to use your situation as leverage to achieve an outcome preferable to them. Just a terrible thing to do, but I bet they've done it before and if 2 or 3 customers out of 4 just cave under pressure, they'll continue to.

The thing about employee wages is bunkum, not your fault. They will have insurance for this kind of thing or an internal policy for writing off the broken screen as a loss. I highly doubt the breakage is coming out of anyones pay, but maybe some other kind of HR action would take place. Long story short, someone messed up and they just didn't want to own up to their mistake.

So frustrating when you put your car in the care of a supposedly reputable repairer and it comes back worse or devalued in some way - been there. Especially stressful when you're hundreds of miles from home unless you have an endless pot of gold.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cardo and M3noob
I’m glad that I installed the garage opener. Doesn’t help OP in this case and I’ll be super annoyed if this happened to me. I’m sure Tesla is on a cost saving drive and with parts shortages it’s made the issue worse at SC’s. Why supply a new screen under warranty when they can build a car with it and sell for £60k.

Reactions: Rooster6655
The door openner was the reddest of red herrings. It would not pass the giggle test in any open mike comedy performance.

I suspect that the display "ordered for another customer" that they used to let me drive back on the road was, in fact, taken from another car awaiting delivery (perhaps undeliverable for another reason?)

Given the elastic delivery dates reported passim this is a real possibility. I have no proof - but it was nice that they thought laterally to my benefit.

But I still want my money back!