Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service cost compared to other premium EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just playing around with the configurator for the new Audi EV and I noticed the service cost. They provide the initial service to you free of charge and they offer the Audi Care option that provides 4 additional services for $999. This essentially means that you get 5 years of services for $999 and each service costing about $200.

Reserve > Audi e-tron® reservation platform > 2019 > Audi Cars: Sedans - SUVs - Coupes - Convertibles

Do we know the service cost for the upcoming Porsche or Jaguar EVs for comparison?

• Informative
Reactions: Inside
What's odd is we Europeans do not have a "configurator" page yet for this new e-tron, even though Audi is a European brand.
Also, we need to pay 2000 euros to pre-order it, instead of $1000 in the US. o_O

More on-topic: $999 for the Audi care seems really cheap considering Audi isn't really cheap when it comes to maintenance and service. Now, does that price include potential spare parts?

Also, what's the warranty for that new Audi btw?

Honestly, I'm not an Audi fan (even if I owned an A7 before my MS) but that new one is interesting.

(just for the sake of it: "etron" in french means "turd". I guess the guys from Germany didn't speak french.)

This essentially means that you get 5 years of services for $999 and each service costing about $200.
Or does it mean you get 50K miles of service - very different. The first is 10K or 12 months, so I am guessing a 10K interval - in my case way that would be a 2.5 year service cover. That all said, the price is certainly right!

Read-door airbags are extra - guess if you do not have kids it's one less thing to deploy and need repair in a crash - but seems a strange saving (all of $400 in $80K).

Or does it mean you get 50K miles of service - very different. The first is 10K or 12 months, so I am guessing a 10K interval - in my case way that would be a 2.5 year service cover. That all said, the price is certainly right!

Read-door airbags are extra - guess if you do not have kids it's one less thing to deploy and need repair in a crash - but seems a strange saving (all of $400 in $80K).

Yeah I thought the rear door air bag option was a bit crazy. :eek:

The cost of service really seemed fair though because lower cost of service is supposed to be a a benefit for an EV and we haven't quite seen that with the model S service costs. The Audi service package for 4 services for $999 with the first annual service included seems really reasonable and I wonder if Porsche will follow a similar cost structure.

An EV should cost less to service than a comparable ICE monstrosity and the Audi EV service costs seems on line with that premise.

Reactions: MIT_S60
An EV should cost less to service than a comparable ICE monstrosity and the Audi EV service costs seems on line with that premise.

Totally agree - MS costs are outrageous for what they actually have to do - of course monopoly supplier. When Elon says service is not a profit center - I believe him, overall, but I think 'annual' and 'mileage-based' services are subsidizing some of the other things they are losing money on at those facilities.

It's quite common here in Europe to have those as extra. I think the main reason is if your kids are in a child-specific seat (which protects them from side impacts as well), rear-door airbags may actually be dangerous in case of an impact.

That's funny. Many years ago, Chevy finally figured out why the Nova wasn't popular in Mexico. Same Idea...

There's a lot of those I guess. The french brand Renault is producing a car named "Koleos", which means "balls" in greek.

Google translate says otherwise - vagina.

It's interesting, I actually found both while searching for more info after your comment. According to some websites, "couille" (french word for "balls") is coming from "Koleos" or "Kaleos" in greek, while other websites are translating Koleos to Vagina. Well, we're a bit off-topic but that's rather funny. :D

In the US, I'm pretty sure the dealers can set their own price for these annual maintenance events. Individual Tesla Service Centers cannot.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Audi dealers charge $100 or more on top of the reported rate just because they can.

That said, as a former owner of an A4 that was a total and complete disaster of a car that I should have lemon-lawed, I'd get any kind of vehicle warranty I could if I was to purchase the new Audi turd.

It's interesting, I actually found both while searching for more info after your comment. According to some websites, "couille" (french word for "balls") is coming from "Koleos" or "Kaleos" in greek, while other websites are translating Koleos to Vagina. Well, we're a bit off-topic but that's rather funny. :D

Apparently “Fitta” means something similar in Swedish which is why we have Honda Jazz in Europe and Fit in U.S.

• Funny
Reactions: Axael
In the US, I'm pretty sure the dealers can set their own price for these annual maintenance events. Individual Tesla Service Centers cannot.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Audi dealers charge $100 or more on top of the reported rate just because they can.

That said, as a former owner of an A4 that was a total and complete disaster of a car that I should have lemon-lawed, I'd get any kind of vehicle warranty I could if I was to purchase the new Audi turd.

This would not happen, as you can always buy the 4 service packages on the Audi Web site for $999.

Also in my area, dealer competition actually REDUCES service costs. All the time I receive "Service coupons" from area dealers and they all "match" each other's service specials. Our remaining premium ice costs less to service than our Tesla, especially when accounting to the 20% off service specials that we always receive.

Audi or Tesla, IMHO it is a silly risk to own these cars without an extended warranty so I absolutely agree with you on always having warranty coverage.