Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Delays - 4 weeks and counting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Wondering if my experience is unique or a general problem with Tesla service centres.

Firstly, to get it out of the way, I love my M3 LR, so this isn't about having a go. However :) my car went in to the SC in Milton Keynes at the end of July and no sign of it coming back.

The fault is apparently with the computer, so they need a new one. I do appreciate the shortages on silicon but they haven't given me any idea on when they expect the part, all I get when I reach out to them (as they have not contacted me) is that the part is on backorder and they will tell me when it is in.

As I assume they are still making M3s, so there are computers out there but they must be prioritising new cars over looking after existing customers; the only conclusion I can make.

Has anyone else experienced something similar, what is the record for having your car away waiting for a part?

For me, this is the kind of experience which would turn me away from Tesla, post sales support, as with anything is what drives customer satisfaction. The 'no maintenance' value proposition goes out the window, when they can't provide one of the few parts a car is likely to need.

Hi All,

Wondering if my experience is unique or a general problem with Tesla service centres.

Firstly, to get it out of the way, I love my M3 LR, so this isn't about having a go. However :) my car went in to the SC in Milton Keynes at the end of July and no sign of it coming back.

The fault is apparently with the computer, so they need a new one. I do appreciate the shortages on silicon but they haven't given me any idea on when they expect the part, all I get when I reach out to them (as they have not contacted me) is that the part is on backorder and they will tell me when it is in.

As I assume they are still making M3s, so there are computers out there but they must be prioritising new cars over looking after existing customers; the only conclusion I can make.

Has anyone else experienced something similar, what is the record for having your car away waiting for a part?

For me, this is the kind of experience which would turn me away from Tesla, post sales support, as with anything is what drives customer satisfaction. The 'no maintenance' value proposition goes out the window, when they can't provide one of the few parts a car is likely to need.
Have they provided you with another car? If so is it a similar spec? I would expect them to limit your inconvenience and then maybe offer some free supercharging as a gesture…..

I waited a month for a radiator hose.....

BUT, they did give me a Model S with free supercharging that I ragged the living daylights out of during that time, so I was willing to be more patient than perhaps they deserved.

Anything electronic right now is going to be a major PITA to get unfortunately and yes, they will be prioritising new cars over repairs, but don't think for a second that any other car manufacturer is better.

Reactions: Ahveeta
So long as they provide you with an equivalent (or better) car, I think that’s good customer service. Yes it’s frustrating if you’re waiting on parts but if you’re enjoying wearing out their car, does it really matter?

If parts are in short supply (and we know that's an industry wide problem), then putting it in a new car gets them £50k. Putting it in a faulty car gets them £0.

I’m also waiting on a replacement Car Computer, but the fault just means the car never sleeps so it’s drivable and I still have it, just burns through around 6% of the battery sat doing nothing all day so having to charge more often than maybe I would otherwise …

I’m also waiting on a replacement Car Computer, but the fault just means the car never sleeps so it’s drivable and I still have it, just burns through around 6% of the battery sat doing nothing all day so having to charge more often than maybe I would otherwise …
If they take too long getting it replaced, once its done let them know you will be requiring a new battery pack now due to excessive wear and tear ;)

Reactions: Kietrax
I get the points made. I have a Model S 75D and Supercharging which is all good, but still miss my own car. It has given me the chance to test our FSD, although not sold on that, had more phantom braking on the S in a few weeks than I had on my Model 3 in 18 months. It is more the lack of feedback around timelines which I find frustrating and me being the one to chase, with no explanation. It could be 6 weeks, 8 weeks, no idea at all.

Hopefully you will have heard something by now but we have ended up in the same boat with a replacement "car computer", which I assume is the MCU 2, ordered with expected next day delivery. Fingers crossed...

So they are out there right now and available for quick delivery.

To be fair, Tesla ought to have some forecast date for parts. Parts don't travel the world on their own, transport needs planning in advance. So some timeline is always known in advance. Even with the difficulties, there must be a date on the system that someone is aiming for and that can change of course. That change just needs to trigger a courtesy call/message to the customer, it's not rocket science. There is a plan, the customer is kept informed, plans can change, repeat.

If they don't have any ETA's within their planning system - then I can already see what their problem is. People need dates to work to, otherwise things often don't progress.

Hopefully these are all resolved by now. I don't know if it was just lucky timing, but our replacement 'car computer' aka MCU2 was indeed delivered and fitted next day after diagnostics found a fault with the original.

Part replaced was . TLA,HW3.0.CAR.COMP,RHD, eCall- PROVISIONED (1462554-S5-H)

Even better was that our original profile was able to be backed up and restored to new computer, so we lost no settings including our lifetime trip settings.

Hopefully you will have heard something by now but we have ended up in the same boat with a replacement "car computer", which I assume is the MCU 2, ordered with expected next day delivery. Fingers crossed...

• Informative
Reactions: Drew57
My car is ready, so will pick up tomorrow, which will be exactly 7 weeks since I dropped it off. I will be glad to get it back, but clearly dissappointed with how long it has taken and the lack fo communication. Been told there is no cleaning service either, so will see how if looks after being sat for nearly two months. I am on a later software version which is nice.

I do like the car, but do miss the service level of the prestige brands.

Reactions: Beady3647
My car is ready, so will pick up tomorrow, which will be exactly 7 weeks since I dropped it off.

Do you have the part info that was replaced - it will be on the invoice. I wonder why your car computer took so long to source, when 'Guildford' got ours next day - maybe we were 'lucky' with the timing, or something else going on. Certainly availability of parts seems to be a bit of an Achilles heel for Tesla and we had a piece of wiring loom from a different visit that took a couple of weeks to obtain (car was usable so they rescheduled another appointment), but in this case, Guildford got the replacement computer quicker than a Fiat/Alfa main dealer managed to get me a set of wiper blades that they needed for a service/MOT. So I think Tesla is not alone in seemingly keeping part stock levels low.

Mine is still not resolved, but I have been assuming they will contact me when the part comes in to book an appointment since I still have my car. Should have been ordered 5 weeks ago … Maybe time For another call to see what’s going on.