Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service disconnect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ViperDoc

Roadster 1305
Jun 24, 2011
Vermont
My Roadster suddenly won’t charge, and I need to pull the service disconnect due battery down to 33 miles and the car won’t charge. I am advised it might be a bad cell in a battery sheet, but in the meantime, I want to pull the service disconnect so I don’t let the thing brick. I have seen photos of the plug, but I can’t find a discussion in the forums of just where it is other than for someone with thin arms it is accessible from the trunk.

Can someone please advise me just where it is?

I was also told to pull the fuse on the 12v battery or disconnect it. I have changed my 12v battery, and I don’t really have the time to get into that compartment again if I have to do the other things. Where is the fuse for the 12v battery? Is that more accessible?

Thank you,

David

whats the error code happening preventing it from charge?

If you pop the trunk it's on the left hand side through small gap of the left side of the pem; your arm can kinda fit through towards the charge port; look through the peek of the back of the car into where the charge port is; the handle is below that.

The car might have to be in inhibit state first.

Or you can access it easier by removing the left rear wheel, the wheel plastic protector and then reach in and access.

wow surprised I found it; go to 19:20 for the service plug

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: drewski
Here you can see the plug in the ESS photographed from the left rear wheel arch after the arch liner has been removed (5 bolts).
service_disconnect_plug_location.jpg

@jason.tv is right that you should inhibit the APS first. At least that is what I have been told. The APS is not the 12-V battery. It is a separate 12-V supply from the ESS. It can be inhibited through a menu choice on the VDS. See other postings for that.

The fuse for the 12-V battery is located in the front beneath the bonnet near the 400-V controller. It is in a rubber enclosure on a harness stub with yellow tape on. Here you can see it with the rubber enclosure opened.
service_disconnect_fuse_aux_battery.jpg

Again, this is different from the APS, but It is probably wise to pull the fuse so that the 12-V battery isn't drained either.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: drewski and markwj