Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service due to update corruption?...Help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Tesla S owners, been a stalker of this forum for a while and want to run this past you guys to see if others have had similar circumstances. Any recommendations would be appreciated. This will be long so hang with me, I want you to have the full back story.

I put in a reservation for a Cybertruck on launch day and have, what is believed to be, a very low reservation for a tri-motor. Until that bad boy is delivered, I did not want to dump money into my '14 Silverado pickup which was due for some significant maintenance approaching 100k Miles. Instead, at the end of July bought a 2013 Model S 85 with about 90k miles with the plan of driving it until the truck comes, then trading it in or selling it (side note, still on MCU1 and 3G for data). My thought is that it would hold value better, be cheaper to run and have lower maintenance costs until that day comes. I have loved the car so far, it has truly been life changing and makes me want to get my Cybertruck that much faster.

Sunday night I got a notification I had a new software update, which I installed when I got home. Went to leave the next morning and the install was stuck at 80% center console unresponsive, but 'on' with a tesla logo. Through a number of reboots, I was able to get the vehicle back to a drivable state, but there was an error that I needed to see service about the software config. Called service and they tried pushing an OTA update while I was at work Tuesday. the car remained home and on wifi all day. Get home Tuesday and things still are not right and service says they keep dropping connectivity to vehicle which is why they cant get the software working. It is drivable they say, so I plug in and go to bed with a mobile service visit scheduled for 2 weeks out. Next morning, plug is green, but get in the car and it hadn't charged, at all. Call service on my way to work and they say to get to a service center right away to avoid a tow.

Fast forward the 1.5 hr drive to the service center, they spend all day side loading the software (as the say it was definitely corrupted) and running a cleaning script, but still cannot get connectivity back. 3G card replacement is apparently no longer an option to replace my fried one and told that $500 LTE upgrade is only option. Gave me a loaner for the night, going to pick car up this evening. Work happened this morning with no other options presented. As you can understand, Im slightly aggravated, but do understand I bought a used Tesla, not certified by Tesla, so there is inherent risk there.

Now for the questions....
1. Anyone had ANYTHING REMOTELY similar happen?
2. Lets say the MCU goes, am I out another 1500? Can LTE portion be reclaimed/reused? Is it $1000 then?
3. Does the LTE upgrade do anything to protect me from the MCU going?
4. Anything Im missing or should be asking service when I get there?