Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service during COVID19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is always a lot of grousing on the forums about service experiences, but in five years of ownership I really don't have much to complain about.

My 2015 S85D had the MCU die a little over a week ago. The car was drivable, but without any of the MCU functions, such as HVAC.

I scheduled an appointment through the app, and got a very quick response by text. The appointment was 3 business days out, and I asked if they could move it sooner since the car wasn't super useful without AC. They were able to move me up to the second business day early in the morning.

They asked that I leave the key in the car, and they remote started the loaner in the parking lot after I arrived. No direct human contact other than a wave through the window from 50 feet away.

I took them a couple of days to replace the MCU, program it, and replace a borderline window regulator on on of the rear windows.

I got the car back clean, with a little note on the dash saying they had sanitized it. Paid my ESA deductible online.

I really don't see how it could have been much more efficient. I know there are a lot of complaints, and I suspect that some service centers in high density areas are overwhelmed, but I really can't complain at all.

My door handle broke and a mobile service was scheduled to arrive within a week. Technician arrived monday morning and replaced the entire module within 90 minutes. Where we are we communicated about 10 meters apart. No more hot coffee or drinks for them due to fear of contact.

I had a mobile service tech here 3/30 for 4 hours+ to replace my IC. It wouldn't boot, firmware update nada. This is MCU1 and I'm under warranty. Poor guy had to sit in my driveway trying to make it work for 4 hours only to me now have to drop off my car at SC on 4/2 for the IC replacement.

I may ask if they can do the IC2 and MCU2 swap for money and if they can/will sell me the radio unit; I'd pay to regain the lost XM/FM radio.
258F3DCC-0B17-42A3-A68D-9D7174006B9C.jpeg

If not, I'll take the IC update and leave my MCU1 in while under warranty another year.

edit: my IC has a bubble migrating around it on the display about 1/2 the size of a dime

My service to date has been good. Recent disappointment though...my MCU1 -> MCU2 Plano, TX service center appointment for today was ‘postponed’ due to COVID precautions. Better safe than sorry. I probably would have had it replaced before now if their original email about the upgrade availability had a tad more clarity.