Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Estimate pitfall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just 'cos it's listed on the service estimate does not mean it will happen. My upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 with tuner and 2.0 to HW3.0 for MS (I have FSD) was scheduled for late November but changed because of lockdown to Dec 3. Over the phone to the SC a couple of days beforehand, it was difficult to get a clear statement that the upgrades and parts would be available. However, the service estimate seemed clear.

It had taken me a while to spot that the estimate details with part numbers are visible (and exportable as a pdf) via a series of inconspicuous dark blue links in the app under Services, View (in blue), Appointment, View Estimate (in blue), Cost Estimate, (Estimate Details (in blue). It included:

Correction: Infotainment Upgrade From Tegra MCU and Autopilot 2.0 To
Intel MCU And Autopilot 3.0 (Model S With SIM Extender)

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE- TegraAP2.0- EU-AP (9874562-03-A) 1.0

SIM CARD, 2G,3G M2M(1037335-00-A) 1.0

NUT,HEX-FLNG,M5X.8,STL,ZNC,NYLOCK(1012845-00-A) 1.0

I assumed that this listing on the estimate dated the day before the appointment meant that the HW3.0 upgrade (if that is what it means) was available. Not so. On the afternoon before the appointment, I was told that the HW3 upgrade has not yet been released for my VIN (June 2017 build). I went anyway, leaving the car until the next day for the MCU1 to MCU2 and radio tuner upgrade. Next day I was told that the wrong radio part had been supplied and no upgrades had been done. I needed the car back, so rather a waste of time. Clearer communication could have avoided some hassle.

On the bright side, they did install a Ground Service Bracket (SERVICE BRACKET, GROUND, MS, RHD(1485757-00-A). I had no idea that it was missing/broken/needed, or what it does.