Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

talkingevs

GO AVS! 2022 CHAMPS!
Jan 28, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
So I took my model 3 in for a dash pad replacement due to a previously discussed issue with bumps and divets in the pad. They said they had the part ordered and had arrived. When I got there I added in a tire rotation, fixing the transmission lever that kept coming up, and replacing the driver side metal peice that covers the autopilot camera. I dropped it off on Friday and was told it would probably be done the next day or Monday at the latest.

Those days all obviously came and went and I called them Tuesday morning. They stated the dash peice they had ordered to install had a warped plug and had to order another. They said it would be there in the afternoon and the car would be done by the evening. Now it is Wednesday, still no word. I called again and they said they texted me in the morning the status, but I never received any text. They stated they replaced the steering wheel module and were still waiting on the new dash to come in. When asked when I would get my car back, they said they can't give a date/time but would call me when it's ready.

1) Why is the steering wheel module broke and replaced when nothing was wrong with it when I gave it to them.

2) How long am I going to be without my car? This is absolutely ridiculous and unheard of with any other car manufacturer.

I want to love Tesla and I love the car but this experience has honestly turned me against them a little bit. I didn't pay $57000 on a car to not have it and be in the shop. Shouldn't they have examined the dash peiece they ordered to verify it was good when I made the appointment? I purposely had them order the peice so that it could take only 1-2 days only to fix it. Not a week plus however long additional now.

What are my recourses? Anyone else have this happen?

So I took my model 3 in for a dash pad replacement due to a previously discussed issue with bumps and divets in the pad. They said they had the part ordered and had arrived. When I got there I added in a tire rotation, fixing the transmission lever that kept coming up, and replacing the driver side metal peice that covers the autopilot camera. I dropped it off on Friday and was told it would probably be done the next day or Monday at the latest.

Those days all obviously came and went and I called them Tuesday morning. They stated the dash peice they had ordered to install had a warped plug and had to order another. They said it would be there in the afternoon and the car would be done by the evening. Now it is Wednesday, still no word. I called again and they said they texted me in the morning the status, but I never received any text. They stated they replaced the steering wheel module and were still waiting on the new dash to come in. When asked when I would get my car back, they said they can't give a date/time but would call me when it's ready.

1) Why is the steering wheel module broke and replaced when nothing was wrong with it when I gave it to them.

2) How long am I going to be without my car? This is absolutely ridiculous and unheard of with any other car manufacturer.

I want to love Tesla and I love the car but this experience has honestly turned me against them a little bit. I didn't pay $57000 on a car to not have it and be in the shop. Shouldn't they have examined the dash peiece they ordered to verify it was good when I made the appointment? I purposely had them order the peice so that it could take only 1-2 days only to fix it. Not a week plus however long additional now.

What are my recourses? Anyone else have this happen?
Did you have a problem with the Left Turn Blinker (you can find several posts on TMC about it) by any chance?

I called the SC and reported my Blinker issue and they told me they would need to order a replacement Steering Wheel Module, so they could be doing it proactively or possibly received an internal bulletin to look for it.

However, I completely agree with you that keeping the customer informed, especially when there’s bad news or a delay, tends to soften the frustration, but certainly no communication only increases the temperature (sound familiar?!?) and I hope Tesla gets this missing piece of the puzzle worked out...SOON!

Reactions: C141medic
I can't complain because i got an awesome loaner and the people were super nice but:

1. take car in to get back windshield replaced which had a small crack in it when delivered. text soon after dropping it off saying they actually got the wrong part in and woudl have to order my back window

2. take care in to get headlight replaced - they text soon after saying the part they got in stock for me has a big scratch in it and will have to order another headlight.

in the end it turned out fine, but they could definitely check and make sure the parts they get in are correct before having you come in for service.

I'm wondering if they don't actually have the parts and order them once you drop your car off. Maybe they have a policy that they can't request them until they have the car on site..? If that is true, it's unfortunate they lie to us. Just seems odd you've had it twice and I've had it happen as well

Frustrating for sure, but not "unheard of with any other car manufacturer". The amount you paid does not correlate to the issues you are venting about. It is all about service process, which every car manufacturer suffers with (even when it is a profit center, rather than warranty work).

Also, I have found that attitude has a lot to do with how we are treated by anyone doing service on our 'things'. Go back to the service center, and treat them with a level of courtesy that humans should give each other. Ask questions, don't demand, and you will probably understand the service issues better. Also one service center's issues are not necessarily an indicator of the manufacturer as a whole, or even an indicator of that service center's overall ability to fix your car.