Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

walla2

Jul 15, 2012
I just drove my Tesla in for multiple small service issues and had a great experience and wanted to report on that.

I arranged service in Portland weeks ahead, made the drive, and then dropped off the car for 2.5 days. The service was for all non-critical issues.

The team there did a excellent job. I now have my entire due list complete, got 29 things done all at once, and the car has never looked better than when I picked it up yesterday. I talked to the manager, front staff, and the mechanic with the last thing being really impressive. The mechanic went over every single thing that was done bullet by bullet, his method and thinking, and his suggestions for the future should things arise. He even went on a short drive with me to confirm things had been addressed. What other company does this? Short list of things done:

Requested:
1. Spoiler placed
2. Parcel shelf fixed
3. Headlight fixed (one led has been out)
4. Rear light moisture issue sealed
5. Chrome trim aligned on one door
6. Pano roof track cleaned and fixed
7. Pano roof front seal fixed
8. Rear passenger window re-aligned to spec
9. Bad dash rattle present since day 1 fixed
... (Tiny nitpicky things)

Unexpected:
1. Upgraded to 4.5
2. Firmware updates to multiple components
3. Lug nuts updated
4. New J1772 adapter
5. Rear floor mat provided
6. Replaced old front mats

The thing I've noticed with 4.5 and the firmware updates is there is much better sound with less static in the mid/mid-low range that many have noticed. I was told there was interference from the DC to DC components at least partially causing the unwanted noise.

The car again looks and drives better than ever. This service experience went better than I could have imagined, and I really enjoyed their person to person approach. If they can ramp up service further to improve availability, I see no reason why Tesla can't claim best car and best service.

I have to get my car in for a few little things (some of which were on your list too). I've already bought nice Lloyd's front and rear mats. Wonder if I should take them out and just leave the crappy Tesla front mats in and see what happens...

dropped by Springfield NJ distribution center this week, no notice, since I got a Tire Pressure System warning while driving, and I was close by. Tech got right on the case, no paperwork involved, just a quick interview. Took the car into the service area and fifteen minutes later I had it back. The tech said he was going to order a part and have me bring it back in when the part arrived. Very low key experience, friendly prompt and courteous.

On the other hand, my wife took her MS to Fremont today to get the Paint Armor that was skipped during production (delivered Apr 29 at Fremont) and a few other minor problems tended to.
Although we have the full service plan, she offered to take the car to them (they want it for the at least the weekend) - 80 mile trip to Fremont and she will pickup a loaner.

Well, she reported to me that while she set up for 10:30 drop off, she had to wait over an hour to get a ride to the rental car (Enterprise - set up by Tesla). The rental was a KIA, reeked of cigarettes and after she was a mile away, she happened to notice the tank on empty.
Surprise no Tesla loaner.

And bad for Tesla, her work companion on the jaunt is a reservation holder about to finalize.

Beginning to wonder what the car will be like when she gets it back.

Hopefully, she will get a letter of apology from someone at Tesla (made her late to work and an important meeting).

On the other hand, my wife took her MS to Fremont today to get the Paint Armor that was skipped during production (delivered Apr 29 at Fremont) and a few other minor problems tended to.
Although we have the full service plan, she offered to take the car to them (they want it for the at least the weekend) - 80 mile trip to Fremont and she will pickup a loaner.

Well, she reported to me that while she set up for 10:30 drop off, she had to wait over an hour to get a ride to the rental car (Enterprise - set up by Tesla). The rental was a KIA, reeked of cigarettes and after she was a mile away, she happened to notice the tank on empty.
Surprise no Tesla loaner.

And bad for Tesla, her work companion on the jaunt is a reservation holder about to finalize.

Beginning to wonder what the car will be like when she gets it back.

Hopefully, she will get a letter of apology from someone at Tesla (made her late to work and an important meeting).

Sounds like she mostly needs an apology from the car rental place.

I have to get my car in for a few little things (some of which were on your list too). I've already bought nice Lloyd's front and rear mats. Wonder if I should take them out and just leave the crappy Tesla front mats in and see what happens...

mknox, if you decide to do that can you post what happens please? I have my first full service appointment in the middle of June, and was thinking of doing the same thing once I read the original post. Thanks.

I just drove my Tesla in for multiple small service issues and had a great experience and wanted to report on that.

I arranged service in Portland weeks ahead, made the drive, and then dropped off the car for 2.5 days. The service was for all non-critical issues.

The team there did a excellent job. I now have my entire due list complete, got 29 things done all at once, and the car has never looked better than when I picked it up yesterday. I talked to the manager, front staff, and the mechanic with the last thing being really impressive. The mechanic went over every single thing that was done bullet by bullet, his method and thinking, and his suggestions for the future should things arise. He even went on a short drive with me to confirm things had been addressed. What other company does this? Short list of things done:

Requested:
1. Spoiler placed
2. Parcel shelf fixed
3. Headlight fixed (one led has been out)
4. Rear light moisture issue sealed
5. Chrome trim aligned on one door
6. Pano roof track cleaned and fixed
7. Pano roof front seal fixed
8. Rear passenger window re-aligned to spec
9. Bad dash rattle present since day 1 fixed
... (Tiny nitpicky things)

Unexpected:
1. Upgraded to 4.5
2. Firmware updates to multiple components
3. Lug nuts updated
4. New J1772 adapter
5. Rear floor mat provided
6. Replaced old front mats

The thing I've noticed with 4.5 and the firmware updates is there is much better sound with less static in the mid/mid-low range that many have noticed. I was told there was interference from the DC to DC components at least partially causing the unwanted noise.

The car again looks and drives better than ever. This service experience went better than I could have imagined, and I really enjoyed their person to person approach. If they can ramp up service further to improve availability, I see no reason why Tesla can't claim best car and best service.

We had a great experience at the Portland service center as well. Blew out a rear tire, got towed back to Portland (60 miles), replaced two tires at my expense, fixed four other items while the car charged for an hour under warranty. Super guys!

We also dropped by the service center, this time Watertown MA, to have a strange noise investigated. While we are on the road to resolving that, the most astonishing and cheerful part is getting to drop in, with only an hour warning from us, have it looked at right away, be told they'll send the logs CA to investigate, and be sent on our way... no paperwork, no stress. "It's a noise that shouldn't be there, we'll get to the bottom of it and get back to you."

So different from the Subaru dealer for my other car. "That'll be 80 bucks to look at it. If there's nothing wrong, you're out 80 bucks." If they can sustain this service model while ramping up, people won't care what the car is... they'll buy for the service!

You guys in Watertown are doing a tremendous job.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way Walla2, just curious - how many miles on your MS at this point?

Seems ironic that folks in Calif. seem to have the most choppy overall service experience - long lead times to get an appointment even for critical issues like non-functioning door handles (the best I got was 16 days), rarely an MS loaner and almost always a crappy ICE - while less busy service centers elsewhere are seemingly able to do better.

My first visit to the Fremont SC is next Friday to get a door handle and probably a touchscreen cooling fan replaced. I've already been warned on the phone that there's little chance of an MS loaner. Would absolutely hate to drive a Kia for the weekend. Hoping for a Leaf. The actual service work itself should be fine, I'd imagine.

Wallace 2. LUG NUTS UPDATED.... please confirm what was done... Do all ms need update?

Sorry, just black lugs instead of chrome. Nothing else different.

Why did they replace your J1772 adapter?

I had the original all black J1772 adapter. It had problems fitting into the car and some J1772 sources. It was a tight squeeze using it once before but it worked. I didn't request the change. It just happened. I can confirm the new J1772 works better and attaches easier.

Picked up my S85 from the Rockville MD service center yesterday... Everybody courteous and professional. Zander, the person giving me my S walkthru, had only been on the job a week, but was very competent.

The asst mgr was even kind enough to pick me up at the metro station a couple of miles away...

I just had a pretty poor service experience in California. They had the car for three days and didn't resolve the door handle issue (presenting without unlocking), but they did fix the buzzing by resetting a fuse. They finally decided to return the car until the handle part arrived so I wouldn't stay stranded. I expected the car to come back trailered, as it had left. Instead, it arrived with only 30 miles of range on it driven by some service guy. A bit of a WTF moment for me. Especially bad because my 240 outlet is out of service waiting for a second power meter. If they had let me know ahead of time, we could have worked out something better, like having them leave the car at the Supercharger 5 miles from me and picking me up in the companion pickup truck.

Every time I talked to them, it seemed like it was for the first time - no continuity of issues that had already been described. Both services I have had done have been like that, actually. Even after listing the issues to five different people, the final service requests end up with a subset of them. They are working on upgrading their ticketing backend, but these issues happen even when I list the issues in person right before the service.

They also asked me for my address before returning car. They called en route and had the wrong one. When they arrived, they gave me the keys no questions asked when I met them outside. Seems like pretty lax security for such a pricey car. Could have been anyone walking down the street.

I've tried two service centers so far. Can't say I am impressed with either :(

They may want to be world class for service, but they have a ways to go.

I just had a pretty poor service experience in California. They had the car for three days and didn't resolve the door handle issue (presenting without unlocking), but they did fix the buzzing by resetting a fuse. They finally decided to return the car until the handle part arrived so I wouldn't stay stranded. I expected the car to come back trailered, as it had left. Instead, it arrived with only 30 miles of range on it driven by some service guy. A bit of a WTF moment for me. Especially bad because my 240 outlet is out of service waiting for a second power meter. If they had let me know ahead of time, we could have worked out something better, like having them leave the car at the Supercharger 5 miles from me and picking me up in the companion pickup truck.

Every time I talked to them, it seemed like it was for the first time - no continuity of issues that had already been described. Both services I have had done have been like that, actually. Even after listing the issues to five different people, the final service requests end up with a subset of them. They are working on upgrading their ticketing backend, but these issues happen even when I list the issues in person right before the service.

They also asked me for my address before returning car. They called en route and had the wrong one. When they arrived, they gave me the keys no questions asked when I met them outside. Seems like pretty lax security for such a pricey car. Could have been anyone walking down the street.

I've tried two service centers so far. Can't say I am impressed with either :(

They may want to be world class for service, but they have a ways to go.

Take it higher. They can't improve if the powers-to-be don't know what's going on.