Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Fee for Possible Warranty Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driver door is creaking fairly loudly when opening and closing, so I scheduled a service visit to check it out. While I was scheduling I asked them to check hood L/R alignment. I was give estimates of approx $90 for each issue to diagnose. Curious if anyone knows what the odds of them correcting either problem under warranty and waiving the diagnosis fee are. I don't feel bad expecting either issue to be corrected on a car less than 1 year old, but don't want to pay $180 to be told both issues are normal. Regarding the hood, there is a 2.8mm gap on left side and 4mm on the other. It sounds small, but is pretty obvious looking at the car from the front. Does anyone know what Tesla considers allowable?

Driver door is creaking fairly loudly when opening and closing, so I scheduled a service visit to check it out. While I was scheduling I asked them to check hood L/R alignment. I was give estimates of approx $90 for each issue to diagnose. Curious if anyone knows what the odds of them correcting either problem under warranty and waiving the diagnosis fee are. I don't feel bad expecting either issue to be corrected on a car less than 1 year old, but don't want to pay $180 to be told both issues are normal. Regarding the hood, there is a 2.8mm gap on left side and 4mm on the other. It sounds small, but is pretty obvious looking at the car from the front. Does anyone know what Tesla considers allowable?
I am sorry to say but less than 3mm tolerance side by side is acceptable in the automobile industry.

• Informative
Reactions: SlimJim
Thanks for the replies. I took the measurements by sliding printer paper in the gap and measuring the stacks with calipers. When I see the numbers I feel silly for bringing it up, but it is pretty obvious just looking at the hood. Our minivan is dead centered. I might just take my chances with the door creak and formally decline the hood 'diagnosis' from the tech, but ask if they think it would be worth having it looked at. :rolleyes:

Reactions: not4antoher
Thanks for the replies. I took the measurements by sliding printer paper in the gap and measuring the stacks with calipers. When I see the numbers I feel silly for bringing it up, but it is pretty obvious just looking at the hood. Our minivan is dead centered. I might just take my chances with the door creak and formally decline the hood 'diagnosis' from the tech, but ask if they think it would be worth having it looked at. :rolleyes:
Sometimes, they charge for those issue.
Please, make sure they won’t charge for that.

Pics of the hood alignment...

front.png
left and right.png