Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service in Houston besides the SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to get some brake work (warped rotors) and an alignment done on my 2017 S. I know I can go to the service center, but they are outrageously expensive, so I wanted to ask if anyone has used an independent mechanic or shop that is familiar with Tesla's around Houston. Most places that I call immediately say no once I mention it is a Tesla.

Side question regarding the warped brake rotors, do I need to replace the pads at the same time? I have about 50K miles, but hardly use the brakes, so I assume the pads are in good condition.

Thanks.

First question: What is the issue(s) you are experiencing that leads you to the conclusion of rotors being warped? At 50k miles and "hardly using brakes", would be a bit unusual for rotors to be warped.

But to answer your question, Tesla brakes are no different from any other car. Pads, rotors, calipers.

First question: What is the issue(s) you are experiencing that leads you to the conclusion of rotors being warped? At 50k miles and "hardly using brakes", would be a bit unusual for rotors to be warped.

But to answer your question, Tesla brakes are no different from any other car. Pads, rotors, calipers.
The whole car vibrates when slowing down from 60 if I need to use the brakes. It is hard for me to tell whether it is the front or rear rotors, although I think it may be rear because I had the fronts turned by Brake Check about 1 year ago. Yes, the steering wheel shakes as well, which tells me it could be the front rotors, which is why I asked about the pads needing to be replaced or not when turning or replacing the rotors. As long as I don't need the brakes, there is no shaking.

Brakes are pretty much an off the shelf Brembo setup. At least on my '15 it was. I bought the pads from Brembo's site and rotors from Tirerack and then took it to my local mechanic to do the work for me. It think parts and labor was a little less than $500 for just the fronts. I just had to call a few shops to line everything up beforehand. But I bet your old go to mechanic (if you had one) might be willing to do the work.

Brakes are pretty much an off the shelf Brembo setup. At least on my '15 it was. I bought the pads from Brembo's site and rotors from Tirerack and then took it to my local mechanic to do the work for me. It think parts and labor was a little less than $500 for just the fronts. I just had to call a few shops to line everything up beforehand. But I bet your old go to mechanic (if you had one) might be willing to do the work.
Great suggestion on TireRack for the parts. I had no idea they sold brakes. Now, for the trusty mechanic...I don't have one...and the few referrals that I have called will not work on Tesla.

I had to explain that the rotor/pad replacement was the same as a Cadillac CTS-V with Brembo brakes. They had to look it up before saying yes to the job. I'm just not sure if there has been a design change in the brakes between '15 and '17.

I need to get some brake work (warped rotors) and an alignment done on my 2017 S. I know I can go to the service center, but they are outrageously expensive, so I wanted to ask if anyone has used an independent mechanic or shop that is familiar with Tesla's around Houston. Most places that I call immediately say no once I mention it is a Tesla.

Side question regarding the warped brake rotors, do I need to replace the pads at the same time? I have about 50K miles, but hardly use the brakes, so I assume the pads are in good condition.

Thanks.
Did you ever find a Houston area mechanic that works on Teslas?

Did you ever find a Houston area mechanic that works on Teslas?

Take it to ABR Houston - they have a former Tesla Tech on staff.

I've taken my car there for suspension / brake maintenance and alignments.

Their labor rate is probably on par with the Service Center, but they're much more transparent about what they are doing, and they do a great job.

For stuff like brakes, if you have youtube, a basic socket set, and a torx bit set, you can save a lot of money replacing your own pads and calipers. Or a place like Pep Boys can re-surface your rotors without removing them from the car.