Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service maintenance: fully charged and car washed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Believe they will do their best to have your car charged when you are scheduled to pick it up, but often there are not enough chargers available for everyone. Best to ask, and let them know it is important to you, especially if you have a long distance to go after picking up.

If you are just driving home, where you could easily plug in yourself, then the courtesy becomes just that.

I've gone to three service centers in the SF Bay Area...in almost all cases the car was washed and in some cases it was charged as well. One exception was where I came in for a quick repair and we skipped all that just to get me back on the road ASAP.

I don't have a strong preference one way or the other. I guess if it were totally up to me I'd want a charge more than a wash (silver hides both dirt and paint imperfections).

Bruce.

I go to the service center every 5k miles to have the tires rotated, but recently had the annual maintenance. My car is never charged up to the 90% limit and until recently, they did not wash your car. Now I have to ask them not to wash it because it looks worse compared to my hand wash and detail I give it every weekend. I am starting to believe that the Orlando Service center sucks in comparison to what I read from others around the country. Most of the people I have met there seem right out of college and their customer service doesn't even compare to the BMW or Infiniti dealerships that I brought my previous cars to. Very surprising.

Florida Gary, I was in Orlando to see friends, they wanted to go shopping. I looked down and need charge, I was mile from service centre, I could not find charger, I go in and ask where is charger? Quote, we only charge our customers cars inside. Excuse me, I am a customers of corporation, this a corporation SC. She asked where i lifed, i said saint Augustine, she took it in and gave me just enough to get home.
Yes it sucks, I was in salt lake city last week. 8 chargers at showroom, 4 at service centre. First words were, plug your car in sir.
I was in fort worth showroom, Sir do you need charging? I will move a car.
Yes Orlando service centre sucks.
Oh Jacksonville said county would not let them install a supercharger. Yes, sure.

Just visited a service center (San Diego) for the first time since ownership. I experienced a de-laminated screen and needed the tires rotated. I made a call 3 days prior to leaving on a business trip to PHX for a couple days. The service center scheduled me to drop the car off at 7:30am on Tuesday and surprisngly had an UBER waiting. They even PAID for my UBER ride (~$34.00) to the airport. I returned a couple days later to a vehicle with the tires rotated, new screen, firmware update, washed, vacuumed, and fully charged. I rolled out of the service center with no out of pocket expense and VERY happy with the completed work.

P.S. Firmware update included a much improved GPS map update. The car also seemed faster....is that possible?

Florida Gary, I was in Orlando to see friends, they wanted to go shopping. I looked down and need charge, I was mile from service centre, I could not find charger, I go in and ask where is charger? Quote, we only charge our customers cars inside. Excuse me, I am a customers of corporation, this a corporation SC. She asked where i lifed, i said saint Augustine, she took it in and gave me just enough to get home.
Yes it sucks, I was in salt lake city last week. 8 chargers at showroom, 4 at service centre. First words were, plug your car in sir.
I was in fort worth showroom, Sir do you need charging? I will move a car.
Yes Orlando service centre sucks.
Oh Jacksonville said county would not let them install a supercharger. Yes, sure.

Sorry to hear about your experience at the Orlando Service Center. For those of us who have lived in Orlando for years, we see this type of customer "no" service across all industries. Like I said before, their service is far from what I received at Infiniti and BMW for cars that cost
1/2 as much as the Model S.

My car has had several visits to the Dedham, MA service center, and they always offer to wash it. I have usually accepted and am happy with the wash job. I do not recall being asked about charging and I don't think the car was charged, but it could have been without my necessarily remembering. Dedham has 8 supercharger stalls. Frankly, though, since Dedham's superchargers are very busy, I would prefer not to have my local car tie up a supercharger stall unnecessarily since I live only a short distance away and can easily get home.

I did notice that the new text messages they are using to notify us of service progress did say that they would charge my car and then wash it, as the last step on my recent visit. The car was ready a few minutes later and washing took some time, so little if any charging could have occurred. Must have been a canned message.

We picked up our 2015 MS P85D for its annual / 30,000 miles service and it was beautifully washed... but not re-charged... which was fine with us since we live just 10 miles from the Service Center. We also "paid it forward" by re-charging the brand new 2017 MS 75 loaner to 90% overnight before returning it to the Service Center so the next Tesla owner would have ~ 205 rated miles when they picked it up.

Interesting that the Tesla Service Center uses Enterprise Rent-A-Car to sign out the loaners. I even received an email from Tesla showing the $100.84 Enterprise charge for 1-day "rental" which Tesla paid.