TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Service maintenance: fully charged and car washed?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Winnie168, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Winnie168

Winnie168 Member

When your Tesla goes in for service, whether if it's annual check up or warranty work, do you get the car back fully charged and washed?

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Washed, but not fully charged. They're not going to be charging it while working on it, so why would you think it would be fully charged (which could take hours)? The charging they have is usually being used for loaners.

3. Winnie168

Winnie168 Member

My service center has 8 superchargers. Wondering if it's a courtesy for them to plug it in and return it fully charged.

4. Tesmotorfaqcom

I had gone to the one in Burbank, the service adviser do ask do you want car wash and charge.

5. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

My service center always offers a wash and it is always charged to my specified limit when I return to pick it up.

6. Macbest

Macbest Member

Fremont factory where I take my car is always beautifully detailed and charged to my limit. As you would expect for a $100k+ car.

7. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

Believe they will do their best to have your car charged when you are scheduled to pick it up, but often there are not enough chargers available for everyone. Best to ask, and let them know it is important to you, especially if you have a long distance to go after picking up.

If you are just driving home, where you could easily plug in yourself, then the courtesy becomes just that.

8. zackmilo

zackmilo No chrome for me!

Not always charged but ask them not to wash it. Sometimes they can swirl up your car.

• Like x 1
  9. kdday

kdday Member

In my one only visit to the Tempe, AZ service center, I was not asked for either but my car was charged to fill but not washed.

10. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

I leave a sign in the car stating "No wash" to prevent them from adding more paint swirls in my Solid Black Paint.

11. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

I've gone to three service centers in the SF Bay Area...in almost all cases the car was washed and in some cases it was charged as well. One exception was where I came in for a quick repair and we skipped all that just to get me back on the road ASAP.

I don't have a strong preference one way or the other. I guess if it were totally up to me I'd want a charge more than a wash (silver hides both dirt and paint imperfections).

Bruce.

12. FloridaGary

FloridaGary Member

I go to the service center every 5k miles to have the tires rotated, but recently had the annual maintenance. My car is never charged up to the 90% limit and until recently, they did not wash your car. Now I have to ask them not to wash it because it looks worse compared to my hand wash and detail I give it every weekend. I am starting to believe that the Orlando Service center sucks in comparison to what I read from others around the country. Most of the people I have met there seem right out of college and their customer service doesn't even compare to the BMW or Infiniti dealerships that I brought my previous cars to. Very surprising.

13. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

Florida Gary, I was in Orlando to see friends, they wanted to go shopping. I looked down and need charge, I was mile from service centre, I could not find charger, I go in and ask where is charger? Quote, we only charge our customers cars inside. Excuse me, I am a customers of corporation, this a corporation SC. She asked where i lifed, i said saint Augustine, she took it in and gave me just enough to get home.
    Yes it sucks, I was in salt lake city last week. 8 chargers at showroom, 4 at service centre. First words were, plug your car in sir.
    I was in fort worth showroom, Sir do you need charging? I will move a car.
    Yes Orlando service centre sucks.
    Oh Jacksonville said county would not let them install a supercharger. Yes, sure.

14. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

My first several service appointments, Tesla had a template with a Tesla T that they put on the carpets and once vacuumed over left a neat logo there when the service was completed. Neat touch!!

15. T Dawg

T Dawg Member

Just visited a service center (San Diego) for the first time since ownership. I experienced a de-laminated screen and needed the tires rotated. I made a call 3 days prior to leaving on a business trip to PHX for a couple days. The service center scheduled me to drop the car off at 7:30am on Tuesday and surprisngly had an UBER waiting. They even PAID for my UBER ride (~$34.00) to the airport. I returned a couple days later to a vehicle with the tires rotated, new screen, firmware update, washed, vacuumed, and fully charged. I rolled out of the service center with no out of pocket expense and VERY happy with the completed work.

P.S. Firmware update included a much improved GPS map update. The car also seemed faster....is that possible?

16. FloridaGary

FloridaGary Member

Sorry to hear about your experience at the Orlando Service Center. For those of us who have lived in Orlando for years, we see this type of customer "no" service across all industries. Like I said before, their service is far from what I received at Infiniti and BMW for cars that cost
    1/2 as much as the Model S.

17. David29

David29 Member

My car has had several visits to the Dedham, MA service center, and they always offer to wash it. I have usually accepted and am happy with the wash job. I do not recall being asked about charging and I don't think the car was charged, but it could have been without my necessarily remembering. Dedham has 8 supercharger stalls. Frankly, though, since Dedham's superchargers are very busy, I would prefer not to have my local car tie up a supercharger stall unnecessarily since I live only a short distance away and can easily get home.

I did notice that the new text messages they are using to notify us of service progress did say that they would charge my car and then wash it, as the last step on my recent visit. The car was ready a few minutes later and washing took some time, so little if any charging could have occurred. Must have been a canned message.

18. gabeincal

gabeincal Enjoying Napa life the electric way

Alright. Just one more time.

NEVER LET TESLA WASH YOUR CAR.

• Like x 2
  19. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

We picked up our 2015 MS P85D for its annual / 30,000 miles service and it was beautifully washed... but not re-charged... which was fine with us since we live just 10 miles from the Service Center. We also "paid it forward" by re-charging the brand new 2017 MS 75 loaner to 90% overnight before returning it to the Service Center so the next Tesla owner would have ~ 205 rated miles when they picked it up.

Interesting that the Tesla Service Center uses Enterprise Rent-A-Car to sign out the loaners. I even received an email from Tesla showing the $100.84 Enterprise charge for 1-day "rental" which Tesla paid.

20. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

I have "Do Not Wash Cars" in my service profile and I remind them anyway, everytime I visit.
    I've never noticed the charge level materially diffferent one way or the other, nor does it matter to me.