Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service manual and wiring diagrams

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, not sure I understand. The fact that you paid a third party (not Tesla) to get the service manuals shows that they are publicly available.

Sort of. We don't know how the ebay sellers, etc are obtaining the information. The only "official" way to get them right now is to be a resident of Massachusetts and subscribe to get access. That is just given as temporary access, not in CD form.

Maybe there are legit ways to get the data in CD form, I don't know. The service centers wouldn't be using CDs since they all have the computer network. The only other way there might be CD of the data is for the Tesla certified body shops.

Either way, I wouldn't consider it publicly available if its being done in a way that isn't sanctioned by Tesla.

Sorry, not sure I understand. The fact that you paid a third party (not Tesla) to get the service manuals shows that they are publicly available.

99.999% probability the 3rd party is not legally allowed to sell the manuals. The seller I saw was located in eastern Europe. Probably messy enough for Tesla to go after them that they won't bother.

I've been holding off getting the "bootleg" manual because I really want to give Tesla the $49 instead.

@zwede - Agree that these sources are unauthorized. I was just making the point that since anyone can go on and pay $49 that this is publicly available. I doubt Tesla would view it any different if someone hosted this info for free or for a fee. Either way they aren't getting a cut.

Telsa would have a hard time going after the Eastern European folks, however, I would think that they wouldn't have a problem going after a US citizen that posted this stuff on the web. Probably not worth the hassle. Pay the $49. I would have gladly paid it to Tesla if they offered it, but $30 an hour online access is absurd.

I disagree ... the information should have been made available to the general public long ago.
Once I have the manual, I would be glad to provide to anyone who would like to host the file :cool:

I can host it. Just let me know if anyone has it. If not, I'd be interested in going in on making a group buy and sharing the cost. I actually need the pre-refresh MS and also the MX