TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Service Manual or Schematics for the Roadster?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by wiztecy, May 30, 2012.

1. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Curious if there's a service manual or schematics of the Roadster. I'd like to become familiar with the cooling runs/plumbing as well as where all the major components are located in case any issue arises.

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Rotfl!

3. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

My friend has the Chevy Volt and he found all that stuff, tech details and such.... guess not for Tesla.

Possibly from everyone's observations we could sum some of this up. For example, I'm curious about the battery cooling.... Does it run through the front radiator and if so do the lines run on the right side, left side or both? Also about the AC condenser, is that up front where the radiator is or is that the condenser?

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Sorry for that response. A disadvantage for the tinkerer is that Tesla service is a closed loop. No separate dealer repair network. No powertrain repair shops to need manuals. Until someone defects the company and publishes a Chilton type manual (for all 5 versions of 2,500 hand built cars) we just have observations of dissembled cars, some talkative rangers and advice from those who have done their own wrenching.

With 3 and 4 year warranties expiring this year and next there may a rise in warranty-voiding home repairs. Who knows? Tesla might put something out but frankly I think a company that builds no-maintenance electric car will want to keep the precious little repair business in house as much as possible. Plus, the first owner-caused 400 Volt electrocution will probably see a bricking press reprise.

5. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

That's fine about the silly comment, I got a laugh out of it too. I did see pictures of battery swaps and other technical discussions floating around. Possibly one day we can consolidate it in one place. Luckally we don't need all that much maintenance but knowing where things are and how they're routed can be very helpful, especially if a cooling hose begins leaking or any other potential symptom that may lead to bigger issues before the checkup at Tesla is done. Appreciate the feedback.

6. strider

strider Active Member

This forum was one of the reasons I felt comfortable buying my Roadster. Following the work that Tom Saxton, HSharp, rich, and on and on were doing with modifications, reverse engineering the log files, etc I felt confident that if Tesla were to go under that the group here would be able to keep the cars on the road for quite awhile (and maybe even improve them). I expect more tinkering to happen once the cars are out of warranty.