Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Manual Subscriptions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm. How does a ranger access the screens if the car is outside cell reception?

I would be very surprised if Tesla released these codes to any third party.

You wouldn't necessarily need connectivity to a server to get the code as long as the software on their laptop has the algorithm needed to generate the code. Would be similar to the way SecureID / SafeWord generate time-restricted one time use passwords.

I'd also be surprised if they released the codes, but maybe as part of the service, access to those menus is required, so they'd be forced to by applicable laws. Maybe you need to use the subscription to generate the code as-needed. I'm just guessing here.

From the french site terms and conditions :

"L’UTILISATION DE CE SITE OU DES INFORMATIONS À DES FINS DE MARKETING EST STRICTEMENT INTERDITE. TOUT TÉLÉCHARGEMENT NON AUTORISÉ EST INTERDIT. S’IL EST
DÉMONTRÉ QUE VOTRE COMPTE AFFICHE UN TRAFIC EXCESSIF, IL SE PEUT QU’IL SOIT DÉSACTIVÉ AUTOMATIQUEMENT ET DE MANIÈRE PERMANENTE PAR TESLA SANS NOTIFICATION PRÉALABLE."

"Using this site for marketing purposes is stricly forbidden. Any unauthorized download is forbidden. If it is proven that your account uses an excessive bandwidth, it could be disabled automatically and permanently by Tesla without notice."

Edit :
On the upper-right corner you can choose region.
US terms and conditions state the same conditions :
"USE OF THIS SITE OR OF THE INFORMATION FOR MARKETING PURPOSES IS STRICTLY
PROHIBITED. UNAUTHORIZED DOWNLOADING IS PROHIBITED. IF YOUR ACCOUNT USAGE
DEMONSTRATES EXCESSIVE TRAFFIC, YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE AUTOMATICALLY AND
PERMANENTLY DISABLED BY TESLA WITHOUT NOTICE TO YOU. "

Last edited:
From the french site terms and conditions :

"L’UTILISATION DE CE SITE OU DES INFORMATIONS À DES FINS DE MARKETING EST STRICTEMENT INTERDITE. TOUT TÉLÉCHARGEMENT NON AUTORISÉ EST INTERDIT. S’IL EST
DÉMONTRÉ QUE VOTRE COMPTE AFFICHE UN TRAFIC EXCESSIF, IL SE PEUT QU’IL SOIT DÉSACTIVÉ AUTOMATIQUEMENT ET DE MANIÈRE PERMANENTE PAR TESLA SANS NOTIFICATION PRÉALABLE."

"Using this site for marketing purposes is stricly forbidden. Any unauthorized download is forbidden. If it is proven that your account uses an excessive bandwidth, it could be disabled automatically and permanently by Tesla without notice."

Edit :
On the upper-right corner you can choose region.
US terms and conditions state the same conditions :
"USE OF THIS SITE OR OF THE INFORMATION FOR MARKETING PURPOSES IS STRICTLY
PROHIBITED. UNAUTHORIZED DOWNLOADING IS PROHIBITED. IF YOUR ACCOUNT USAGE
DEMONSTRATES EXCESSIVE TRAFFIC, YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE AUTOMATICALLY AND
PERMANENTLY DISABLED BY TESLA WITHOUT NOTICE TO YOU. "

I read the U.S. Terms (there's a link at the bottom of the page) and they say the same thing. Obviously they don't want one person creating an account and sharing it with the world.

I still wish I could buy the service manual for my car. The subscription model makes sense for shops, but not for owners. Owners just need the stuff that directly applies to their own vehicle. I have service manuals for all of my vehicles save the Tesla, and they're usually less than $500. Hopefully they offer something like that eventually, perhaps once warranties start timing out.

Of course the point is moot because I can't get either version here in CA.

There's no need for Tesla to invent whole new protection schemes to access the material.

Just put it up as links in documentation folder on MyTesla, you have to login first to get at it. Done.

They then know WHO and WHAT VIN you are getting the material for. They could even customize the material and filter it by that VIN car type (e.g. not include "D" specific stuff if you don't have a D).

Was it the Hyundai Equus that included the user documentation on an iPad that was found in the glove box upon delivery? I remember ooging over that class act.

Tesla could do A WHOLE SERVICE PORTAL that is tailored your service history and specific TSB's, recall, etc..
They could change the way the auto industry does service, and put that on its ear.
That will be the next most major competitive advantage of Tesla. "Open Service"
Want to really blow the industry's collective mind!? Make the portal contents follow the re-sale of a used Tesla. Next person has full, continuous, records...

:)
yep, Tesla could do it much better..... The only hole I see in the above is what happens when one of us damages a car under warranty, hurts ourselves (getting shocked) or creates an unsafe condition for the car that reflects badly on Tesla? I believe there are enough positives associated with doing this to merit finding solutions for the negatives.

I can tell you that one of my first tasks will be understanding battery communication sufficiently well enough that I can one day use the MS battery pack exactly as designed with all safeties in place as stationary home storage. It is a lovely, well designed quality solution that, given the number of cars being scrapped, just begs to be used. How does Tesla permit me access to documentation knowing this is one of my interests?

It appears they may be restricting access. I foe one think we need to push back on this. We should be able to maintain our car if we want and I have purchased service manuals for my other cars without issue.

"Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors Technical Support. Unfortunately the North America Service Manuals are only available to Tesla Certified Collision Centers as well as residents in Massachusetts under the 'Right to Repair Act'. Residents of other states will not be able to access this information. I apologize for any inconvenience."

yep, Tesla could do it much better..... The only hole I see in the above is what happens when one of us damages a car under warranty, hurts ourselves (getting shocked) or creates an unsafe condition for the car that reflects badly on Tesla? I believe there are enough positives associated with doing this to merit finding solutions for the negatives.

It has to be a PR move, and a PR move alone. There are dozens of ways for me to kill or severely injure myself with a plain old ICE, including zapping myself with the low-tech 12V battery, and that doesn't prevent other manufacturers from providing full access to their shop manuals. There's no legitimate liability there, IMO. Indeed, it's likely that someone with the shop manual is less likely to injure themselves than someone performing the same task without one. They only reason for preventing access is that they don't want "Tesla owner kills self by doing something stupid" as today's headline. I get that, but at some point people are going to be working on these with or without the manual and that position will become counter-productive.

If Tesla is so liability adverse, I'd suggest they stop running an automotive company. There are a lot bigger liability risks than this that they are incurring. I don't think this has anything to do with liability and everything to do with trade secrets.

If Tesla is so liability adverse, I'd suggest they stop running an automotive company. There are a lot bigger liability risks than this that they are incurring. I don't think this has anything to do with liability and everything to do with trade secrets.
I don't even know if it's that. Until maybe the last two weeks or so, the core components that Tesla wanted to protect as trade secrets weren't even serviceable components. Battery issue? Replace battery. Drivetrain/inverter issue? Replace drivetrain. That doesn't leave a whole lot that Tesla does that every other automaker doesn't do, and severely limits the amount of sensitive data in the service manual.

Further, the limited access itself doesn't do anything to protect those trade secrets. They're required by law to provide the manual in MA. It's trivially easy for a competitor to simply have a resident in MA look at the service manual legally. Restrictions on the service manual do absolutely nothing to protect your trade secrets if you put them in the service manual and the manual is available to everyone that lives in a state.

I wonder if we could convince dealers that fighting Tesla on things like this would be more productive than trying to force them into franchising agreements they don't want. Let's get "Right to Repair" laws passed in every state! Dealers: you make more money off service than sales anyway, so just think of the cash you could make servicing Teslas if such a law were in place?

I wonder if we could convince dealers that fighting Tesla on things like this would be more productive than trying to force them into franchising agreements they don't want. Let's get "Right to Repair" laws passed in every state! Dealers: you make more money off service than sales anyway, so just think of the cash you could make servicing Teslas if such a law were in place?

Aren't dealers usually the side against right to repair? (Hey, further evidence that Tesla is wrong on this!) Dealers would rather not compete with independent shops.

Aren't dealers usually the side against right to repair? (Hey, further evidence that Tesla is wrong on this!) Dealers would rather not compete with independent shops.

They are, Right's To Repair law took quite a fight before becoming one, I hope MA sets the example and other states follow. It's nice to see that Tesla actually is complying with the law, I was left with the impression they are under the radar and aren't releasing this information yet.

I wonder what happens if someone downloads the information and shares it with the world.

There are dozens of ways for me to kill or severely injure myself with a plain old ICE, including zapping myself with the low-tech 12V battery

No... Just no.

You can heat up a piece of metal with your car battery and burn yourself, but you can't "zap" yourself with a 12V car battery anymore than you can "zap" yourself with a 12v remote control battery.