Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service nightmare!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If what you are saying is true, why is Tesla charging ~$2200 + labor to replace MCU1 units out of warranty? If these refurbished MCU1 units are so cheap then they must be ripping people off, especially since they are keeping the original unit so they can refurbish that one.

You answered the question yourself. Almost every failure of the MCU1 is due to the failure of the relatively inexpensive eMMC chip that Tesla uses.

If an MCU1 only costs $5 + 1 hour labor to refurbish, shouldn't they be charging ~$100 + labor to replace broken MCU1s out of warranty? Why are they charging $2,200 + labor if they are as cheap to refurbish as you suggest? Tesla claims the Service Centers are not intended to be profitable, but you are suggesting they have been marking up re-manufactured MCU1s by as much as 2000% for people outside of warranty.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
If an MCU1 only costs $5 + 1 hour labor to refurbish, shouldn't they be charging ~$100 + labor to replace broken MCU1s out of warranty? Why are they charging $2,200 + labor if they are as cheap to refurbish as you suggest? Tesla claims the Service Centers are not intended to be profitable, but you are suggesting they have been marking up re-manufactured MCU1s by as much as 2000% for people outside of warranty.
Well if Elon Musk says so then it must be true!
But also not making a profit off service centers doesn’t mean they sell you the part at cost + labor fee, because there are other operational expenses that need to be covered.

If what you are saying is true, why is Tesla charging ~$2200 + labor to replace MCU1 units out of warranty? If these refurbished MCU1 units are so cheap then they must be ripping people off, especially since they are keeping the original unit so they can refurbish that one.

Well the price on MCU1s keeps dropping.. Last I heard it was like $1,600 plus labor/tax. As far as why so much? The costs cover more than just the part/refurbish price. If the core MCU still has 3G I think the refurb also includes other things like replacing the 3G module with a LTE module.

Your assumption that refurbishing an MCU1 only costs ~$5 plus an hour of labor is just that, an assumption.

I never said that is what it cost. In fact I said it likely includes a new screen too. And last I heard Tesla charged $1,200 + labor for the screen. So then you are left with ~$400 for the rest of the MCU/refurb/logisitcs.

Not to mention that a refurb MCU1 comes with a 4-year warranty, so you have to add the cost of that warranty to the cost.

According to this post it was $1,631 to replace MCU1 with no screen replacement, including credit for the old MCU1 unit. The MCU1 alone was $1,300. Add the cost of 2 weeks of loaner/rental car due to lack of MCU1 supply and it seems the MCU2 upgrade would likely have cost Tesla about the same. At a minimum, why wouldn't they allow you to pay any cost difference to upgrade if your MCU1 fails under warranty?

MCU died out of warranty. Heres info on my experience

Add the cost of 2 weeks of loaner/rental car due to lack of MCU1 supply and it seems the MCU2 upgrade would likely have cost Tesla about the same.

What makes you think the there is a significant stock of MCU2s sitting around? The wait could be even longer for one of them, especially with people champing at the bit to pay $2,500 to get one.

At a minimum, why wouldn't they allow you to pay any cost difference to upgrade if your MCU1 fails under warranty?

Because that encourages some people to abuse their MCU to get it to fail sooner. People would also expect to get the full 4-year warranty with the "upgrade" charge rather than just keeping the remaining portion of their warranty.