Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service now blaming MCU failure on aftermarket stereo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my MCU replaced in Feb of this year and the replacement refurb unit is now exhibiting the same steering wheel control failure, extreme lag and frequent reboots. SA hinted to me today when i dropped car off if maybe the aftermarket stereo was the culprit for the first MCU failure, and now the current issues. after signing the obligatory "blackmail" waiver to repair because i have "modified" the car. I explained that the place that installed the stereo has done quite a few teslas with no issues and then asked if he knew what the Magnuson-Moss warranty act was (he didnt!). I asked why he felt that tapping into the 12V battery and the front high level speaker outputs could damage the MCU (or anything else for that matter) and he shrugged his shoulders. Clearly he had been told to take this tack with customers.

I suppose I should expect this from tesla service but it is still super annoying. I had way more massive mods on my BMW M3 and BMW service was always more curious than suspicious. If the tesla is that fragile then maybe they should do a better job in engineering it.

so...word of warning for all you folks thinking of audio upgrades....

Try to take it back to the place where you had the stereo work done, and see if they will stand behind there work, just because they have installed stereos on other Tesla, doesn't mean they didn't do this one wrong. Did the MCU work ok, before you had the aftermarket work done? I don't think Tesla will fix your MCU twice, for free. I had something like this happen to me on a Audi I had. Audi wouldn't fix it. I took it back to where I had the work done, and they took care of it

Last edited:
Try to take it back to the place where you had the stereo work done, and see if they will stand behind there work, just because they have installed stereos on other Tesla, doesn't mean they didn't do this one wrong. Did the MCU work ok, before you had the aftermarket work done? I don't think Tesla will fix your MCU twice, for free. I had something like this happen to me on a Audi I had. Audi wouldn't fix it. I took it back to where I had the work done, and they took care of it

They didn't fix it the first time for free it was $1800, car has been out of warranty for 25K miles and the original failed MCU had the reboot issues and failed steering controls for a year before the stereo was installed. All the symptoms last time and this time were classic eMMC memory rewrite issue failure symptoms.

When the symptoms got too many, (crashes, and fail to boot up) they confirmed that it was due to file system corruption, and uploaded all firmware.
And they tried to blame me on my OBD2 diagnostic device (a read only CAN bus listener)

It was pathetic, a few weeks later it would not boot again, and they replaced the daughter board under warranty.

• Helpful
Reactions: Altes