Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service plan con

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi When I took delivery of my Tesla Model X back in February 2017 I also took out the 4 year service plan.
In September 2017 some nice chap drove out of a side stop road and wrote my tesla off.
I ordered a new Tesla model X which I take deliver of this February.
Here is the sting. As I had not used the service plan and the car had not been in for any services I though id get a full credit which I could use for my new car. BUT Tesla service say NO as the car is now 6 months old you can only get 3 years and 6 months credit not a full credit. Saying the service plan erodes every month from when you take it out even though its not been in for a service. As you have a year to take out the service plan why would anyone take it out earlier with this decision? I thought id take it out when I purchased the car to help Tesla's cash flow but if they are going to be this unreasonable when I did not plan to write off the car why should I re new my service plan when I take delivery next month of my new car. I will wait a year and take it out then. I find this attitude very narrow minded.

Hmmm, it seems like you should be able to get your first year service back also since you have not used it, unless you have already passed the 12 months period or 12500 miles. This is from the US Tesla site. Maybe UK is prorated refund?

Can I cancel my Tesla Maintenance Plan?
Yes, you can request to cancel your Maintenance Plan at any time and receive a refund for the remaining unused annual service inspection intervals, excluding any forfeited inspection intervals.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Hi When I took delivery of my Tesla Model X back in February 2017 I also took out the 4 year service plan.
In September 2017 some nice chap drove out of a side stop road and wrote my tesla off.
Here is the sting. As I had not used the service plan and the car had not been in for any services I though id get a full credit which I could use for my new car. BUT Tesla service say NO as the car is now 6 months old you can only get 3 years and 6 months credit not a full credit. Saying the service plan erodes every month from when you take it out even though its not been in for a service. As you have a year to take out the service plan why would anyone take it out earlier with this decision? I thought id take it out when I purchased the car to help Tesla's cash flow but if they are going to be this unreasonable when I did not plan to write off the car why should I re new my service plan when I take delivery next month of my new car. I will wait a year and take it out then. I find this attitude very narrow minded.

That is pretty typical of any warranty or service plan not just at Tesla. They will always prorate plans. Just be glad they actually do credit you back because there are many that wouldn't.

My problem is it’s not extended warentee which does errode per month and I have no issue with this. It’s advanced payment for service only.
As there T&Cs state a refund of all remaining service not used. As I had not used any they should follow their terms and refund all not used.
As a share holder I was trying to help their cash flow but this approach does not encourage anyone to take out the service plan early. If I had waited until the car was due it’s first service, I could have taken it out then and would not be out of pocket now.
I did approach my insurer who used the same argument after reading Tesla’s T&C and said “ this plan was for advanced service costs only and not warentee. As none had been used due to the age being 6 months and mileage 4000, we suggest you revert back to the seller of the service plan”

Seriously dude! Suppose you buy and iPhone with 2 year warranty, don't make any claim and drop it after a year - would you new phone get a 2 year warranty?

Seriously, what world do some people live in!

Seriously dude! Suppose you buy and iPhone with 2 year warranty, don't make any claim and drop it after a year - would you new phone get a 2 year warranty?

So true.....same world where a Santa Clara, Cal. woman brought back a used Christmas tree post holiday looking for a refund. Society free loaders are part of today's marketplace. Woman got refund after Christmas tree died, fellow shopper says

The OP is not talking about an extended warranty plan.
He prepaid for 4 years of annual service.
Since he has not had the first year service performed, is he entitled to a full refund?

The OP is not talking about an extended warranty plan.
He prepaid for 4 years of annual service.
Since he has not had the first year service performed, is he entitled to a full refund?

My reading of the plan, in the US, is that IF the first year service was not performance AND not forfeited (the car has not exceeded he 12,500 miles or 12 months), then it is refundable.

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl and AxeBro
Seriously guys I cant believe how many people don’t understand the difference between a warentee which erodes per day and an advanced payment for a service plan. Seriously what world do some of you live in.
Warentee means whatever you pay erodes every day over the time you take it out for the time period.
Paying advanced for something before you use it means that it’s paying in advance.
If you pay a year in advance for a hotel room and after 6 months cancel the room reservation they don’t say we can only give you half the cost back because it’s been 6 months since you booked it even though it’s another 6 months before you want to stay.
Seriously how difficult is it to explain what the difference is between paying for something in advance and a warentee.

Ok up date for you all.
Tesla have now reviewed the desision and agree we should have received a full credit.
The original desision was made locally at dealership level and as we know Tesla is very young and still learning and growing. Tesla corporate have agreed it’s a service plan advance payment and as we had not used any due to very unfortunate circumstances we should have had a full credit.
Well done Tesla for reviewing this and making a quick desision.
when i take delivery next week of my new model X i will now be taking out another full service package. Tesla is such a forward thinking company going through native growth they sometimes obviously make lucas decisions which need reviewing. well done Tesla corp for updating your desision.

Seriously guys I cant believe how many people don’t understand the difference between a warentee which erodes per day and an advanced payment for a service plan. Seriously what world do some of you live in.
Warentee means whatever you pay erodes every day over the time you take it out for the time period.
Paying advanced for something before you use it means that it’s paying in advance.
If you pay a year in advance for a hotel room and after 6 months cancel the room reservation they don’t say we can only give you half the cost back because it’s been 6 months since you booked it even though it’s another 6 months before you want to stay.
Seriously how difficult is it to explain what the difference is between paying for something in advance and a warentee.
In all fairness this confusion is understandable given Tesla’s Terminology and the OPs first post.

“Hi When I took delivery of my Tesla Model X back in February 2017 I also took out the 4 year service plan.”

Tesla 4 year Extended Warranty is actually called:
4-Year Extended Service Agreement

What the OP is referring to is what Tesla calls:
4-Year Maintenance Plan
(Advanced payment of annual service inspections)

My experience was different. When I traded in one one year old Model X I had used only the 12,500 mile service. It took about 2 months but I got a full refund on both the unused maintenance plan and the 4 year extended service agreement I had purchased. They will NOT let you apply it to a new car.
I believe all these policies are dependent on when you entered into the agreement. A bit of a moving target.