TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Service plan if on 3-year lease?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by davesm, Apr 19, 2016.

1. davesm

davesm Member

We got our 70D 57 days ago (so 3 days left to decide whether to get a service plan!) and am planning to replace it at the end of our 3-year lease. By my simple math, since we won't need the year-3 service appt, the service plan isn't worth it, since we would only spend $400 + $700 for the 2 annual inspections we would get (and can rotate the tires for ~$30 at a tire place).

Anything I'm missing? Any reason to get the service plan even though it seems that it would end up costing more than we'd spend otherwise?

Thanks for any/all advice!

2. byan1232

byan1232 Member

From what I heard, there is no need to service the MS every year. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

3. ChadFeldheimer

I'm in the same boat and had a similar thought process. I did not end up buying a service plan. This decision was easier because at the time, only the 4 year service plan was available - obviously a poor value for a 3 year lease where the 3rd and 4th services may not be in play.

After I did the first annual service (about $550 with an alignment), I felt it was relatively poor value. The comprehensive inspection did not uncover any items to be remedied, and the service center did not resolve the handful of minor annoyances I pointed out.

So I don't plan on taking it in for subsequent service. I'll change the fob batteries, cabin filter, and wipers as needed. The loaner was fun, but not $400 fun.

• Informative x 1
  4. Soundchasr

Soundchasr Member

Thanks for the info ChadF. I wondered if any of the service was really worth it.

5. tstafford

tstafford Member

I'm approaching my year anniversary (sort of). Does the car complain at you (like most others) that it's time to do the maintenance? I'm leasing and honestly can't see why I'd do it.

6. davesm

davesm Member

Anybody out there on a 3-year lease who is happy to have gotten a service plan (or wished they did if they didn't)?

I had thought that most folks got the service plan, but apparently not?

7. Soundchasr

Soundchasr Member

I'm not sure you're going to find anyone "happy" to have gotten the service plan. Service plans are generally a better deal for the car company than they are the consumer.

8. Jamil

Jamil Member

I was debating whether to get the service plan. The work performed seems very basic. Any local shop should be able to it. I might get the 4th year service done by Tesla.