Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Plan: Mileage Requirement Reinstated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect a couple of reasons: 1. Leaving the contract as is, protects them from abusers. 2. It costs money to change the contract--even with in-house lawyers. A tweet from Elon is a lot cheaper.

That's a fine theory but they haven't even done that. There's no public blog post, no tweet from Elon, as far as I can tell no public facing communication.

I have the prepaid service plan and am not loosing sleep over the mileage requirements. At the Rockville service center the earliest appointment I received for an annual service was six weeks out. Mileage is going to be what it is then. Chill

Here is the email I received from Jerome. I have removed his email address and direct contact information so he doesn't get flooded with inquiries. I'm sure he is already busy enough. The added emphasis in the email is my own.

Dear Mr. Shrivastava:

Any customer who has paid for a 4-year service plan is entitled to 4 “annual service” visits. The customer can elect to bring the car whenever they desire: we recommend every year or every 12,500 miles (whichever comes first), but the customer are free to do whatever they essentially desire. They can bring the car every 18 months or every 6 months. In the end, they will receive the 4 “annual service” they have paid for. I hope this clarifies the situation.

Many thanks for your continued support. Best regards,

Jerome Guillen | VP, WW sales and service | 45500 Fremont boulevard, Fremont CA 94538 | tel XXX.XXX.XXXX | mobile XXX.XXX.XXXX or XXX.XXX.XXXX
Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles

It seems that what is a requirement in the pre-paid service contract is now just a recommendation per the above email, and that the owners can choose how they want to space out those four visits.

Last edited:
That's a fine theory but they haven't even done that. There's no public blog post, no tweet from Elon, as far as I can tell no public facing communication.

No mileage restriction originally came from Elon. I just don't recall whether it was in a tweet or in one of the quarterly meetings.

I don't think the two Tesla quotes the OP cited are contradictory. Note that the latter one said the mileage INTERVAL limitations have been lifted. That's different from the absolute limit of 100,000 miles within which you have to make your 8 visits. They used to require that your 8 visits would have to be every 12,500 miles, but now people can do those 8 visits with any frequency they desire up until EITHER 8 years or 100,000 miles total driving have passed.

In other words, you could go 50,000 miles with no visits, and then do a visit every 6,250 miles for the next 50,000 miles if you'd prefer. They recommend going once a year so people who don't drive much per year will get their 8 visits in before 8 years pass, and they recommend every 12,500 miles so people who are driving more will get their 8 visits in before the 100,000 miles have passed.

Well, I suggest you read this text again:

"a 4+4 pre-paid service plan is free of any type of mileage limitation but 8 instances must be used in the span of 8 years"

To me that categorically states that there is no limitation whether it be 12,500 miles or 200,000 miles. You only have 8 years to use your plan regardless of miles, which is how it should be, IMO. At any rate, it appears Jerome has agreed with this interpretation.

"a 4+4 pre-paid service plan is free of any type of mileage limitation but 8 instances must be used in the span of 8 years"

To me that categorically states that there is no limitation whether it be 12,500 miles or 200,000 miles. You only have 8 years to use your plan regardless of miles, which is how it should be, IMO. At any rate, it appears Jerome has agreed with this interpretation.

But from Jerome's email, it would seems that you can still use the plan after the 8 years given that he said you can go in every 18 months if you want to.

That makes the most sense to me. I hope it is what they go with (and ideally put in the writing somewhere).