TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Service Plan question

Discussion in 'Model S' started by thegruf, Apr 10, 2015.

1. thegruf

thegruf Member

"Tesla Service for four years
    Up to 50,000 miles"

• Annual inspection (or every 12,500 miles
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]£1800[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]So if I do 25K Miles/yr looks like I have to have it serviced every 6 months![/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cost £900/yr[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]Not cheap at all. My last Audi RS5 cost less than that.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]And the sales chap says dont worry about it, you are paying for 4 services and you can have them done when you like, eg yearly. Tesla do not mandate a mileage schedule.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]Who do I believe.
    [/FONT]Sales chap - only to find out afterwards it is sales b/s?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]Anyone doing >12,500 miles/yr [/FONT]have experience of this Service plan?

2. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Tesla HQ told me that annual inspection is recommended but not mandatory. Your warranty is not affected by failure to do annual inspections. I plan to do the first inspection at least to be sure all is well, then maybe biennially.

Also, surprising to me was that a brake job, pads and rotors, if needed, would be done during inspection without additional charge; worth about $600 US.

3. thegruf

thegruf Member

I thought that too about the brakes but of course regen means the brakes will last massively longer than ICEs. Possibly bigger problem will be sticking due to under use!

4. cwave1

cwave1 Member

I have had my car for 16 months and it has about 42,000 kms on it. I have not gone for a paid service once yet. I take it in about every 4 months for Tesla to fix small defects and they seem to do other work that would be included in a service for free. With the brakes I have had 2 issues:
    1. When they get wet there is sticking and a grating sound until worn in a bit after driving - this is normal for these brakes.
    2. Due to lack of use, the rotors rust. Over time this causes them to warp and vibrate. Tesla has already replaced one set of rotors (free) and I'm about to take it in again for the same issue again.

With the way Tesla deals with these issues, I have no complaints and I haven't paid a penny yet for service.

5. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Costa Mesa service told me that rotors were a problem that Tesla solved in later production by replacing rotors with better quality Brembo.

6. TheDane

TheDane Member

Same thing is quoted here: What Goes Into a Tesla Model S Annual Service? - TESLARATI.com

7. cwave1

cwave1 Member

Mississauga service told me the same when they replaced mine last summer but they're now vibrating again. I'll see what they say/do shortly when I bring it in.