Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Plans etc. (Canada)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive decided not to buy a 4 YR plan as I dont expect much wear and tear in the first couple of years on pads and wipers. I asked the SC and they said even without annual service i get the 24/7 support so I'll probally just bring in the car after a couple of years when my pads needs changing.

Hi, just bought the 4 YR no ranger Service plan but I have remorse. I'm reading everywhere that it's not mandatory anymore to buy it (4 YR or the annual $650 version). What did I just buy? Should I ask for a refund? I thought that the warranty would be void and updates would not be available...

From what I understand, I will get tire changed twice a year included. Over 4 year if my brakes are not replaced nor my wipers. what do I buy this for?

You also get a yearly wheel alignment that may save you lot of money in tires, especially in Quebec.

I've bought the 4+4 unltd Ranger service but not the 4 year extended warranty. I've asked about what happens when the warranty is up but my service plan is still valid, but no response yet. I don't think they even know - Elon is making this up as he goes along and Tesla is trying to catch up with him.

I imagine that some places (like Ottawa, Winnipeg, and hey, maybe even Regina) will get service centres in the next 4 years, so I don't know that I'd get the extra 4 if I lived in a major city. But I'm far enough away that it will be worth it even for the twice/year tire swaps, and I believe the service plan covers squeaks and software updates (the warranty doesn't as far as I can tell). If I have warranty issues in the first 4 years I might upgrade to an extra 4, but otherwise I'm not sure what could go wrong that would actually be covered by warranty after 4 years (since wear & tear isn't covered). I'd imagine any factory issues would appear before that point, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and remote monitoring is also part of the service plan. That's worth something to me.

I am on the fence of whether to get a 4 year service plan. Understanding that it will cost me $650/year or 20,000km....is it really worth it? I have never been the type to pre-pay or purchase extended warranty. Has everyone here purchased the 4 year plan or more? If so why?

I was talking to the Service Advisor at the Toronto SC, and he advised on getting it.

Can you provide the reasoning for getting it?

thanks,
E4

I got the full 8 year extended plan. Basically I shouldn't have to pay for anything else other than electricity, tires, and the occasional washer fluid (and they even topped THAT up at the last service). Time will tell if it's a good deal, but I think it's a good bet.

I am on the fence of whether to get a 4 year service plan. Understanding that it will cost me $650/year or 20,000km....is it really worth it? I have never been the type to pre-pay or purchase extended warranty. Has everyone here purchased the 4 year plan or more? If so why?

I purchased the 4+4 mostly for hardware upgrades. I'd wait to see how TM handles the 90 kw supercharging limitation on older cars before purchasing your service plan.

See this for more info: Older Tesla's limited to 90kwh super charging

I was talking to the Service Advisor at the Toronto SC, and he advised on getting it.

Can you provide the reasoning for getting it?

thanks,
E4

I got the 4-year plan for now -- I think the first 4 years are a no-brainer, if you've got the cash on hand. Tying up an extra $1,900 for four years to save $500 is a pretty good ROI. (And really, you'd be spending $600 at the end of the first year, so you're really only tying up an extra $1,200 after year one.) That also locks in the $475/year price tag -- since the cost of annual service may go up in the next few years. (I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that the annual service will include the data plan and/or non-trivial hardware upgrades -- not sure how else they can really justify the $600/year price tag for such a low-maintenance vehicle.)

I haven't yet prepaid for years 5-8 - but that's more for reasons of current cash flow than anything else. ;)

I purchased the 4+4 as well. Right now there isn't a lot of difference but I don't expect that to be true in the future. The Service Centre has a sign posted. $175 for Model S diagnostics, $175/hr Model S labour. I take that to mean that if you don't have the plan every visit is $350 minimum (not counting warranty work). Doesn't take too many of those to pay for the plan.

Service Plans etc.

I purchased the 4+4 as well. Right now there isn't a lot of difference but I don't expect that to be true in the future. The Service Centre has a sign posted. $175 for Model S diagnostics, $175/hr Model S labour. I take that to mean that if you don't have the plan every visit is $350 minimum (not counting warranty work). Doesn't take too many of those to pay for the plan.

I didn't get the service plans at all but got the +4 Extended Service Agreement (aka extended warranty) before the price went up from $2,500 to $4,000.

My logic was that, if I really need to go to a Tesla service center, it'd usually be for warranty work and I'm now covered for 8 years there (granted the ESA has a long list of things excepted).

I'll cough up the $600 + tax every 20,000-24,000 miles or 18 months or so for the "annual" visit. I'm speculating that the price will atleast hold given that Gen 3 buyers would not take kindly to something stiff(er).

The only thing that I need to get done every 7,000 miles or so is tire rotation. That costs $65 or thereabouts at Tesla, I believe. I don't want to entrust the car to any old tire shop though.

To be clear, I'm not trying to penny-pinch or anything like that with such an expensive car. It's just this philosophical thing IMO that an EV should not cost something on the order of the price of an unlocked smartphone to "maintain" on an annual basis; it's one of the principal facets of the car's TCO.

Wow, so it appears that a lot of people have gotten the service plan.

I guess it's not like conventional ICE service where, if something is wrong, service will look at it under warranty. They charge labour and diagnostic for each visit.

Hmm...I have 10 days to make a decision....makes me wonder info should go for the 8 year plan, since I'd imagine that there "might" be more servicing as the car ages; as well as protect from price increase.

Ugh!! Decisions....decisions.

I jumped on it when I heard the price was going up. Nothing to stop the service costs from increasing further over time, too...

Wait, are the "prepaid service plans" (not the extended warranty/extended service agreement) going up in price, too? (I also purchased the extended service agreement, before they raised it from $2,500 to $4,000).

How much are they charging for the prepaid service plans now? In "My Tesla" Services Sign Up, it still says it's $1,900 for me to prepay for years 5 through 8 (without ranger service). ?

I bought 8 years pre-paid with ranger service. I did it mostly to get ranger service.... I work at home so it's incredibly convenient to have the car serviced here vs. taking time off work etc. and driving 60km to the service center. I didn't buy the extended warranty (figured I could do it later). I sort of regret that now since the price went up 1500$...

Wait, are the "prepaid service plans" (not the extended warranty/extended service agreement) going up in price, too? (I also purchased the extended service agreement, before they raised it from $2,500 to $4,000).

How much are they charging for the prepaid service plans now? In "My Tesla" Services Sign Up, it still says it's $1,900 for me to prepay for years 5 through 8 (without ranger service). ?

Wait, I'm a bonehead - just noticed the "Canada" part of the thread title. Sorry for sticking my nose into you Northerners' business! ;)

No worries. Someone suggested we change the thread title, because people often don't notice the section when they just use the "new posts" button (it's in the Canada section). So I changed it this morning. It probably didn't say Canada on the title when you posted.

No worries. Someone suggested we change the thread title, because people often don't notice the section when they just use the "new posts" button (it's in the Canada section). So I changed it this morning. It probably didn't say Canada on the title when you posted.

Ah, that makes me feel much better. (and yep, I lurk in the "new posts" section all the time...) Thanks, Doug! :)

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

I did not get it. I asked two of the local service guys at the recent cars and coffee event in Vancouver what they did during the service, and i didnt get the impression it was very much. They do take some things appart to inspect, but said they dont expect to find anything. I also am not getting the clear impression it is mandatory service, since it doesnt affect the warranty. I rotate my own tires when i swap winters/all seasons, can do my own wipers, etc. For me the jury is still out wether i will go yearly or perhaps a wee bit longer an interval.

I did however get the extended warranty before the price increase. This is important, as i want to keep this car as long as i possibly can, and if i could get a warranty longer than 8 years inprobably would!

Last edited:
I didn't get the service plans at all but got the +4 Extended Service Agreement (aka extended warranty) before the price went up from $2,500 to $4,000.

My logic was that, if I really need to go to a Tesla service center, it'd usually be for warranty work and I'm now covered for 8 years there (granted the ESA has a long list of things excepted).

I'll cough up the $600 + tax every 20,000-24,000 miles or 18 months or so for the "annual" visit.

That's where my head is at right now. I've still got a few months to decide, but looking at the options, while $2k CDN isn't a big deal for the Service plan, I really don't know what I'm going to "get" for that. My 4 year old BMW doesn't even get yearly maintenance (oil changes happen so infrequently now), so I'm questioning why an EV would require yearly service. Since I plan on keeping the Tesla for at least 8 years, the extended warranty makes much more sense, especially since we really don't know the long term reliability of Tesla products and manufacturing since there is no history or experience to really draw from (I don't consider the Roadster a good benchmark - niche custom built car versus high volume automated assembly line).

The only thing that I need to get done every 7,000 miles or so is tire rotation. That costs $65 or thereabouts at Tesla, I believe. I don't want to entrust the car to any old tire shop though.
There is some notion that Tesla will swap winter/summer wheels for us up here included in the Service Plan, however, I couldn't find anywhere in the agreement where a second visit per year is covered free of charge.

To be clear, I'm not trying to penny-pinch or anything like that with such an expensive car. It's just this philosophical thing IMO that an EV should not cost something on the order of the price of an unlocked smartphone to "maintain" on an annual basis; it's one of the principal facets of the car's TCO.
Agreed. With regards to TCO also, it's contradictory to say that you'll experience reduced break pad wear due to regenerative breaking, but call it out specifically as one of the benefits of your yearly visit as part of the Service Plan. Again, in my BMW... it's almost 4 years old, and I haven't had to replace pads yet (I drive maybe 15,000km a year).

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, I'm a bonehead - just noticed the "Canada" part of the thread title. Sorry for sticking my nose into you Northerners' business! ;)
On behalf of all Canadians, let me apologize to YOU (because that's what we do... always apologize). :)