Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service policy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be competitve in the target market, they'd need to provide a loaner and a free maintenance/service for some period. That is, if the maintenance cost to customer was a significant factor.

Incidentally, BMW just got rid of their free brake and wiper blade maintenance, and reduced their service program coverage from 50k to 30k. That one change is perhaps $1000 out of pocket to the buyer.

I'm getting mixed signals from Tesla regarding maintenance of their cars. On one hand they say how little maintenance is required due to the lack of ICE. On the other hand, they sell expensive maintenance packages that cover regular maintenance. WTF?

I paid $500/year for 4 years. That's expensive? About $42/month.

IIRC all service costs (once per year) for my current ICE have been way less than that. One year might have been about $500 since it was bigger (regularly) maintenance. So I'd call that expensive yes, especially so as it's advertised to be significantly less than with ICE cars.

I'm getting mixed signals from Tesla regarding maintenance of their cars. On one hand they say how little maintenance is required due to the lack of ICE. On the other hand, they sell expensive maintenance packages that cover regular maintenance. WTF?

I just looked up the service cost for Model S. $400. It is optional and covers cabin air filter, alignment, tire rotation, wiper blades. No "mixed signals". I personally would pass on this as I hope I can do the filter, blades, rotation myself. I also hope it would not need an alignment. I have a 2005 Camry with 195,000 mi and NEVER needed an alignment.

Pick up and drop off at my office while leaving me a loaner. No one else does that I'm aware of. I used to hate wasting valuable time at the dealer or even Mr. Lube as they constantly try to sell you stuff. But to each their own. I understand some prefer ICE service. Not me by a long shot.

Pick up and drop off at my office while leaving me a loaner. No one else does that I'm aware of. I used to hate wasting valuable time at the dealer or even Mr. Lube as they constantly try to sell you stuff. But to each their own. I understand some prefer ICE service. Not me by a long shot.

Service BS like this ^ is the reason I'm never buying an ICE car again. To the people complaining that its too expensive, go buy a pedal bike?

There's no official word (and there will not be until end of 2017) but I expect Model 3 to drive itself to and from the repair shop while official Tesla loaner will park itself in my garage. Unfortunately loaner will not plug itself for charging since charging solution vary so greatly, but it's a start.

There's no official word (and there will not be until end of 2017) but I expect Model 3 to drive itself to and from the repair shop while official Tesla loaner will park itself in my garage. Unfortunately loaner will not plug itself for charging since charging solution vary so greatly, but it's a start.
I expect you will be disappointed if this is what you see happening by the time the model 3 is ready.

Mercedes also offers this type of service. And I think you have to be within 15 miles of the SC to get the valet service according to Teslas website. (Unless you are using a ranger, which is no longer free for new customers)