Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Price Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get that the ECM and touch screen are pricey and of course air ride. But the cars cover Drive and Battery for 8 years with unlimited mileage. What exactly are you covering for $4600.00? I can't tell if they include service - it certainly doesn't seem like it because they refer to needing to adhere to service intervals to keep the agreement in good standing. And, of course, said service is proprietary, and really flirts with concepts that have been proven in court as illegal. So "service agreement" is just a cheeky way of grabbing more cash.
Isn't there also a $200 per-visit charge?

The prices are so ridiculous, and completely goes against the "less maintenance on an EV" marketing BS they've been claiming.

I was already bothered by the 12 month/12,500 miles, as I wasn't clear when I "really" had to go in, since I drive a lot -- 4300 miles in my first 23 days of ownership (it's my road trip car, and a very comfortable one at that). This is now clear with "whichever comes first". So to stay in their good graces, I have to take my "needs less maintenance" car to my nearest SC -- 5 hours away -- every 3-4 months?!

I kind of wonder if, at this point, they have to keep raising prices to try to reduce load on the SCs. At least around here, they're all slammed. It seems to me like they've decided they need to discourage people from bringing their cars in.

I don't get THAT impression at all. If that were the goal, then they'd give more realistic intervals.

Nice, I just bought the 3 year plan for $1,325. Now it's $1,625. Happy I did that.

Yours didn't include alignment: they'll add that on to make up the cost difference!

I have not seen the new language in the current extended warranty but in the old agreement it said that there was a $200 per-visit-charge for each incident. After 4 years if you had an issue with a door handle, on-board charger, and the 17" display, you would be charged $600 or $200 for each itssue. If that issue happened again, there would be no $200 charge for the recurring issue.

Can't you just pay them the hourly shop rate? Ok multi inspect my car and change my drive unit fluid. How long does that take, 2hrs at the most? Here's your $250 for working on my car for two hours or for what was most likely 45 minutes. I think the safe, simple easy way is to just purchase the Maintenance Plan and call it good, but that's not my style. I don't like spending money unnecessarily.

I was already bothered by the 12 month/12,500 miles, as I wasn't clear when I "really" had to go in, since I drive a lot -- 4300 miles in my first 23 days of ownership (it's my road trip car, and a very comfortable one at that). This is now clear with "whichever comes first". So to stay in their good graces, I have to take my "needs less maintenance" car to my nearest SC -- 5 hours away -- every 3-4 months?!

I don't get THAT impression at all. If that were the goal, then they'd give more realistic intervals.

Yours didn't include alignment: they'll add that on to make up the cost difference!

So...a lifetime alignment (the 4 wheel digital style) is $150.00. How is this value?

this would under an extended warranty typically be called a deductible. And it would only be applied IF there was a claim. This is really a further wrinkle in what is a very poorly structured offer. Here is what I see:

$4600.00 - 4 year extended service
$3,000.00 - required service to remain compliant
$200.00 - likely reserved for warranty claims.

This is more like 4 year $8,000.00 extended warranty/service agreement...pay half up front and then as per your written commitment annually per the term with added fees related to actual claims against the warranty.

Wow...sign me up...NOT.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
this would under an extended warranty typically be called a deductible. And it would only be applied IF there was a claim. This is really a further wrinkle in what is a very poorly structured offer. Here is what I see:

$4600.00 - 4 year extended service
$3,000.00 - required service to remain compliant
$200.00 - likely reserved for warranty claims.

This is more like 4 year $8,000.00 extended warranty/service agreement...pay half up front and then as per your written commitment annually per the term with added fees related to actual claims against the warranty.

Wow...sign me up...NOT.
It's now $4,750 if purchased 180 days after taking delivery ($5,300 for the X).

I have not seen the new language in the current extended warranty but in the old agreement it said that there was a $200 per-visit-charge for each incident. After 4 years if you had an issue with a door handle, on-board charger, and the 17" display, you would be charged $600 or $200 for each itssue. If that issue happened again, there would be no $200 charge for the recurring issue.
The per-issue charge was 2 revisions ago. The most recent language prior to today's change was $200 per visit, unlimited issues per visit. There was also a clause that you had to bring the car in within X days of encountering an issue for it to be covered to discourage waiting too long and potentially causing additional damage. The idea was, in effect, to get people to wait and batch up several issues together into a single visit, while also providing some wiggle room if waiting resulted in more damage.

If they did that, they couldn't charge for the service. They want both: to be less busy and to have the SCs make money. Annual services are a big money maker. Fixing warranty issues are not, so they structured them to encourage less frequent, larger visits (see above). They want a greater ratio of annual service vists to warranty visits, not smaller.

Profit center or not, the ongoing costs of Tesla Model S or X are absurd high. It shouldn't be, given the low cost of ownership EV promise, but anyone considering buying a Tesla needs to get one thing clear - it's not a cheap car to own.
Well a similar car to the X: had mercedes GL550, around 70-90k miles, needed starter replaced, needed radiator replaced and those added up to $5k. Parking interlock was starting fail-- got rid of the car before it did, and reportedly it costs $2k to fix. Change transmission fluid and annual services with oil changes add up-- they are not cheap. Apples to apples comparo GL550 vs. MX, anyone else want to chime in?

Well a similar car to the X: had mercedes GL550, around 70-90k miles, needed starter replaced, needed radiator replaced and those added up to $5k. Parking interlock was starting fail-- got rid of the car before it did, and reportedly it costs $2k to fix. Change transmission fluid and annual services with oil changes add up-- they are not cheap. Apples to apples comparo GL550 vs. MX, anyone else want to chime in?

Sure, so your point is Tesla is as pricey as those other cars - I thought Tesla was better? My point is, it is not.
And before someone chimes in and says 8years, 100k miles, zero services - dude, good luck selling your rickshaw.

Reactions: Max* and hockeythug
Sure, so your point is Tesla is as pricey as those other cars - I thought Tesla was better? My point is, it is not.

And this is a longer term problem as other EVs come on the market from Audi/BMW etc and actually offer lower costs. It will be very interesting to see how Tesla prices maintenance plans for the 3 considering what GM is currently doing for their EVs.

Profit center or not, the ongoing costs of Tesla Model S or X are absurd high. It shouldn't be, given the low cost of ownership EV promise, but anyone considering buying a Tesla needs to get one thing clear - it's not a cheap car to own.

not cheap according to their service interval recommendations. The reality is that even their service outlets don't agree. I JUST made the 25K appointment for my car...it has 33K on it and its a Dec 2014 build. They didn't blink about it having ZERO prior service and I had to make a special request for them to do the 25K service. They wanted to breeze right past it to a 35K service which was your basic service (they quoted $600). When I explained that this was the first service and I just wanted to make sure that I didn't miss the "big rocks" they said, no problem but again, largely found it unnecessary.

The point is...there is the marketing and "recommendations" and then there is real world. When you actually look at what they do in those annual check ups, its a whole lotta nothing.

And before someone chimes in and says 8years, 100k miles, zero services - dude, good luck selling your rickshaw.

Interesting comment. I think letter of the law service vs. what is really reasonable services for the vehicle are still shaking out...Tesla is selling and operating as a profit center. Good for them, but buyer beware...IMHO the annual service is a plain and simple cash grab.

From what I can see, you could EASILY stretch service intervals to every 2 years and that would include a replacement of fluids and filters...pretty standard for regular ICE cars too - brakes and anti freeze recommended service intervals are about the same for all cars. In the case of Tesla, both of these have far less stress applied to them in every day driving, so I would expect timed intervals rather than mileage based intervals would be the right move, but that doesn't create services revenue stream.

So when you look at it like that, its far less than an ICE ride. And, I won't struggle to sell my rickshaw. :)

Where do the options show up on your My Tesla page? I have a CPO, so I don't expect to see the extended warranty, but I should be eligible for the maintenance plan since I just bought my car in December.
Yes. Options should show up in your MyTesla page. I checked with a buddy that bought CPO and his MyTesla page was NOT showing the new options to purchase. It sure if there is a delay in rolling this out to everyone's page or if somehow CPO's are t provided with this option. They should, especially if they are still within their original warranty (not just the CPO warranty).

Yes. Options should show up in your MyTesla page. I checked with a buddy that bought CPO and his MyTesla page was NOT showing the new options to purchase. It sure if there is a delay in rolling this out to everyone's page or if somehow CPO's are t provided with this option. They should, especially if they are still within their original warranty (not just the CPO warranty).

Well, I think CPOs arent eligible for the extended warranty because of the CPO warranty. My car is technically within the factory warranty period at 42k miles, but my CPO warranty covers me to 90k miles. If the extended warranty starts at 50k, I would only gain 10k extra miles of warranty coverage. If the extended warranty somehow tacked onto the CPO, I would be covered to 140k, which would be awesome from my perspective, but not so much from Tesla's.