Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Question - No Answer from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

Trying to get an answer on the questions below. Irritating that Tesla isn't answering. Anyway - what do you folks think I should do in terms of service?

Thanks.
Tim

Date: Monday, May 22, 2017 at 6:36 AM
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: FW: Maintenance on P85D (Stafford - VIN: 5YJSA1H48FF096005)

Bump. Any advice on this?

Date: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 2:08 PM
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Maintenance on P85D (Stafford - VIN: 5YJSA1H48FF096005)

Nashville Service Folks,

I’m coming up on two years of ownership on my MS P85D and just crossed 15K miles. I was wondering what maintenance you’d recommend (if any) at this point? I changed tires at 10K and replaced the cabin air filter a couple of months ago. I know Tesla’s guidelines for service change for time to time so I wanted to see what current thinking is.

Thanks.

Tim Stafford

It's on their website.... why not just go read it?

I agree it's wrong that they haven't responded..... just saying you can get the info yourself quite easily.

Because Tesla has repeatedly changed their maintenance recommendations, so I thought I'd see what people here are actually doing to their cars. But instead I just get crap telling me to read the manual.

What's the point of this board if not answer questions?

Edit: Forget it. I'm sure the answer to that is in the manual.

There's nothing to really "do"... very few people on here can/want to do their own maintenance, and rely on the service center to tell them everything that may need to be done. Take the car in once a year and see what they say to do. There's also a manual that has only been changed once in terms of service intervals as far as I was aware... Sorry you got some harsh responses but, there's some self help resources that we all believe to be current and correct.

I'm sorry about people giving you crap. Unfortunately, some may consider my personal opinion to be worthless, too, but here goes.

First: I have driven Model S for nearly 5 years now. WooHoo! Two cars sequentially, 82,000+ and 45,000 miles.

Second: As to service, I have been advised generally to not bring the car in unless the car says I need service. I called about a new battery last year, and they said, "if the car didn't say it needed a new battery, don't bring it in." So I didn't. I took my latest S in for a squeak in the pano when it was new, fixed in 15 minutes. That was it.

Third: Problem seems to be that people who have owned cars all their lives think electrics are like gas engine cars. They're not. There are only about a dozen moving parts in a Tesla drive, vs. hundreds in a gas engine. What's to maintain??? I suppose you could change wiper blades once a year. I got 42,000 miles on my OEM Michelin tires. But there is virtually no maintenance to be done on an electric. You notice gas cars have ready access to the engine. Electrics?? No.

I just got back from a 2000 mile leisurely drive. I didn't take it in for service before I left, or after I got back. I recommend it.

Of course, if you get worried, your service department will happily charge you to look at the car logs, to check your drive fluids, check your cabin air filter, and other vital issues. I prefer to let the car tell me when it needs something. And, I didn't read the manual, either.

I'm sorry about people giving you crap. Unfortunately, some may consider my personal opinion to be worthless, too, but here goes.

First: I have driven Model S for nearly 5 years now. WooHoo! Two cars sequentially, 82,000+ and 45,000 miles.

Second: As to service, I have been advised generally to not bring the car in unless the car says I need service. I called about a new battery last year, and they said, "if the car didn't say it needed a new battery, don't bring it in." So I didn't. I took my latest S in for a squeak in the pano when it was new, fixed in 15 minutes. That was it.

Third: Problem seems to be that people who have owned cars all their lives think electrics are like gas engine cars. They're not. There are only about a dozen moving parts in a Tesla drive, vs. hundreds in a gas engine. What's to maintain??? I suppose you could change wiper blades once a year. I got 42,000 miles on my OEM Michelin tires. But there is virtually no maintenance to be done on an electric. You notice gas cars have ready access to the engine. Electrics?? No.

I just got back from a 2000 mile leisurely drive. I didn't take it in for service before I left, or after I got back. I recommend it.

Of course, if you get worried, your service department will happily charge you to look at the car logs, to check your drive fluids, check your cabin air filter, and other vital issues. I prefer to let the car tell me when it needs something. And, I didn't read the manual, either.

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Real world experience and advice.

Hmm, I have a different approach to service. I've got 80K on the car and I go in once a year for service. Last one was $750. Yes, there's a bunch of little crap they do that isn't worth it but each time they've found and fixed (for free) things I didn't expect. While I wish they better justified the annual service cost upfront, I've found that each time the value I got was worth what I paid.