Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Service required, car may not restart", battery coolant heater needs replacing, safe to drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was driving home after a cold night and got that message for about 2 seconds on my IC. Called support and they said the battery coolant heater needs to be replaced. Next appointment isn't available for the next 5 days. Am I safe to drive it until then? Unfortunately I have to work and that would be a huge inconvenience. Service center wouldn't give me a great answer, just said "you should probably bring it in now to be safe".

By "safe" if you mean can you damage the battery, I don't think they car will let you; the BMS system will prevent you from doing this. Or do you mean "safe" as possibly being stranded? Thus the reason for the message the car gives you I suppose. I agree with ucmndd, you should be fine where you are at, at worst the car will slightly reduce your maximum output and possibly your maximum regeneration (I will include a picture of what that looks like, in case you haven't seen that before), but I wonder what that might mean for us in colder climates:

I have always been able to immediately drive the car of course, even after sitting out at -22 C (-8F) for hours, but what I don't know is if the battery heater does still come on to keep the battery at a usable operating temperature, and if disabled will the car not "restart"? Or will the maximum power and regen just be reduced. (as shown below)

Next time I should monitor the battery SOC as it sits outside in these fridgid temperatures to see if it is keeping the battery at a minimum temperature, to ensure "safe" operation before driving the car.

Anyone have the answer?
IMG_0574.JPG