Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service says $22k for new battery on 2012 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
here's another example: right this minute I am downloading a DSD256 file from NativeDSD on my macbook, then onto my Kingston 64GB flashdrive (Patricia Barber's new Clique album, if anyone is wondering :)
Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 8.33.50 AM.png

And yet when I look on my laptop at the capacity of the drive named TII, here is what I see.
So is it a 64 GB drive? Or a 62.1? Or is it a 61.8? Now how much am I going to complain about this? :eek:

Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 8.36.09 AM.png

Just “acceptable” ?! I don’t know if you’re aware of the Canadian dollar. $300 is like $200 USD. It’s stupid cheap. Tesla is giving this away. Very very happy owner of a very early Model S, and Elon had very little to do with how happy we are as owners. Tesla has done well by us. Minimizing my feedback with that reply…why bother, is the case arguing about poor Tesla practices or reliability so weak that my experience is not to be uttered in public lest it water down the case. Huh.
That’s the regular price of the upgrade.

Now how much am I going to complain about this? :eek:
Well, I'm not sure it's quite the same, but a Kingston USB 64GB is about $10 and a Tesla 85 kWh battery about $22,000 - I would use my energy to complain about the Tesla battery rather than a $10 USB drive.

If you are in a position where you can say that a $22,000 Tesla battery has the equivalent value to you as a $10 USB drive has to the average Tesla owner, I envy you ;-)

But according to the Panasonic specs you posted, the 81 kWh is a minimum and the 85 kWh is typical, and yet no one has 85 kWh and everybody has 81 kWh.

Maybe you can tell more about what's needed in order to reach typical capacity?

Reactions: gmo43
here's another example: right this minute I am downloading a DSD256 file from NativeDSD on my macbook, then onto my Kingston 64GB flashdrive (Patricia Barber's new Clique album, if anyone is wondering :)
View attachment 693450

And yet when I look on my laptop at the capacity of the drive named TII, here is what I see.
So is it a 64 GB drive? Or a 62.1? Or is it a 61.8? Now how much am I going to complain about this? :eek:

View attachment 693451
It's a 64GB (gigabyte, 64 billion 10^9 bytes) drive and it is formatted as 61.83 GiB (gibibytes, 1,073,741,824 or 2^30 bytes).

I would complain to Apple for using the wrong label (MS does this too) and also complain to the drive manufacturer for changing the definition in the late 90s.

But according to the Panasonic specs you posted, the 81 kWh is a minimum and the 85 kWh is typical, and yet no one has 85 kWh and everybody has 81 kWh.

Battery capacity is not a simple matter. Some part of energy is always lost as heat, in battery cells internal resistance and cabling etc.

The 81kWh figure is measured and reported by car BMS. So it is entirely possible you really have 85kWh battery but 4kWh is always lost as heat, before BMS has the chance to measure it.

Only way to know for sure would be to benchmark the battery individually, separate from the car. Drain it with very small current to minimize heat losses, and measure every Wh..

Tesla probably realized at some point how misleading this is, and changed the advertised kwh for 75, 90 and later models..

Battery capacity is not a simple matter. Some part of energy is always lost as heat, in battery cells internal resistance and cabling etc.
Also when fully charged with no draw?
The 81kWh figure is measured and reported by car BMS. So it is entirely possible you really have 85kWh battery but 4kWh is always lost as heat, before BMS has the chance to measure it.
? the new 350V 85 kWh batteries report the full 85 kWh through the BMS, so why aren't the 400V 85 kWh batteries doing this?
Tesla probably realized at some point how misleading this is, and changed the advertised kwh for 75, 90 and later models..
No question about that

My 2012 P85 battery died this week. I have 193k miles, nearly 9 years old. I am being quoted for a 85k remanufactured replacement for $12000. Either I pay for a replacement battery or I have a bricked car that probably would sell for less than 12k. Not happy with either option, but don't want to buy a new car either.
I assume that is from Tesla? That is certainly better than 22K, and 16K, and were there other values quoted in this thread too?

Unfortunately I also assume based on past precedence that if you ask 4 different service centres you get 4 drastically different prices, or is that the new corporate price?

Maybe you can tell more about what's needed in order to reach typical capacity?
You probably don't want typical capacity, that *might be what this guy used to have

*(I really have no idea what I am talking about :D but since the truth will probably never come out this theory is as good as any until someone wikileaks it)

My 2012 P85 battery died this week. I have 193k miles, nearly 9 years old. I am being quoted for a 85k remanufactured replacement for $12000. Either I pay for a replacement battery or I have a bricked car that probably would sell for less than 12k. Not happy with either option, but don't want to buy a new car either.
Any symptoms before it died? 12k for a 1 year warranty is hard to swallow though.

I would never pay for a refurbished battery, unless I my intent was to sell it. The new 350V 85kWh is way better value at $16-20,000

Also when fully charged with no draw?

? the new 350V 85 kWh batteries report the full 85 kWh through the BMS, so why aren't the 400V 85 kWh batteries doing this?

You can't measure kWh if there is no draw. That is exactly the problem. To measure you need to drain the battery and measure how much kWh you get.

If BMS reports 85kWh for the new 350V battery, it means the actual capacity is maybe 89kWh? And perhaps newer battery cells have lower internal resistance so you get smaller losses?

I have built several EV packs. Not Tesla but one Datsun 100A with Nissan Leaf cells, and then some e-bikes and motorcycles.. all of these have considerably smaller capacity reported by BMS than you would expect from the battery data sheet. But it is normal.

The Tesla warranty site says the warranty on a HV battery purchase is 4 years/50k miles... (It doesn't specify a different warranty for a refurbished purchase.)
That would be nice. I agree with your reading of it. However, unless I'm remembering incorrectly, those who have bought remanufactured batteries out of warranty were told they come with a 1 year warranty on multiple occasions.

Any symptoms before it died? 12k for a 1 year warranty is hard to swallow though.

Nope, just cruising along the highway at 75mph with 45 miles of range still left when alerts popped up that it was shutting down and to pull over immediately. I did and once it stopped it was completely dead. No power, no screens.

The Tesla warranty site says the warranty on a HV battery purchase is 4 years/50k miles... (It doesn't specify a different warranty for a refurbished purchase.)

I'm skeptical.

I would never pay for a refurbished battery, unless I my intent was to sell it. The new 350V 85kWh is way better value at $16-20,000

90kWh is what you are buying, not an 85.

And I'm being told the warranty is 4 years, 50k on the reman battery. I will make sure I get that in writing.

Definitely get that in writing :)