Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service says $22k for new battery on 2012 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just told that I could upgrade the car from a P85D --> P90D through Tesla for approx. 900 USD (inc tax). I asked in the app and got a confirmation call today. I was told Tesla capped all 85 packs when changed on warranty, but that I could free the “hidden” 7 kWh for that amount. They’ll do the config OTA in a couple of days, and I’ll post the new SMT when ready

$900 is rather inexpensive and the lowest I’ve seen for this kind of unlocking. The service center’s claim that Tesla caps all 85 packs when replaced under warranty is not entirely accurate.

Yes, please post your SMT output. It would be interesting to compare the before/after capacities.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
$900 is rather inexpensive and the lowest I’ve seen for this kind of unlocking. The service center’s claim that Tesla caps all 85 packs when replaced under warranty is not entirely accurate.

Yes, please post your SMT output. It would be interesting to compare the before/after capacities.
Yes, I was surprised when the price was confirmed (around 700 USD + Tax), and a definitely “yes” for me to get the extra 7 kWh unlocked. I guess it raises the value of the car more than that, but I’ll definitely not sell it as it has free supercharging with full good old charging speed now. Comes in handy with the totally crazy energy prices (0.55 USD/kWh average today around Oslo).

I was just told that I could upgrade the car from a P85D --> P90D through Tesla for approx. 900 USD (inc tax). I asked in the app and got a confirmation call today. I was told Tesla capped all 85 packs when changed on warranty, but that I could free the “hidden” 7 kWh for that amount. They’ll do the config OTA in a couple of days, and I’ll post the new SMT when ready
Make sure you have the 350V battery (ie, 1014116-00-C) before giving them any money. Check the label, front right side.

Reactions: NettMD
Yes, I was surprised when the price was confirmed (around 700 USD + Tax), and a definitely “yes” for me to get the extra 7 kWh unlocked. I guess it raises the value of the car more than that, but I’ll definitely not sell it as it has free supercharging with full good old charging speed now. Comes in handy with the totally crazy energy prices (0.55 USD/kWh average today around Oslo).

Considering that you currently get 248 miles on full charge with your capped battery, that $900 would buy you at least ~50 miles more range (let's hope). That’s a great deal. I'm very interested to see the full uncapped range. The highest I've seen is ~297 miles.

Reactions: Baumisch
Considering that you currently get 248 miles on full charge with your capped battery, that $900 would buy you at least ~50 miles more range (let's hope). That’s a great deal. I'm very interested to see the full uncapped range. The highest I've seen is ~297 miles.
Unlock an extra 7 kWh can't get 50 miles even with a Model 3! I am thinking it would be more like extra 20 to 25 miles.

Unlock an extra 7 kWh can't get 50 miles even with a Model 3! I am thinking it would be more like extra 20 to 25 miles.

As I've said, he is currently capped at 248 miles. The highest I've seen for this particular battery is the full range of about 297 for S85 varieties. 297-248=49, about the 50 miles I mentioned. He might get a few miles less since it's a P85D.

• Informative
Reactions: lightningltd
We should also not forget that the remaining warranty on this particular battery for @NettMD will expire within a year. Nevertheless it's an acceptable risk to take.
Yes, it’s an acceptable risk to me. I’ll also take out an extra insurance for the DU/Battery after the warranty is out. Since the car only has 42 000 miles the insurance company accept that. Not sure about the price, but to pay 22 K USD for a new battery is out of the question.

Reactions: Droschke
I THINK replacement batteries should just come fully open and not any unlocking needed - i mean why nickle and dime your customer who is invested and dropping 22k already? And if they originally paid the unlock fee to go from 60 to 75 and need a new battery down the road just install it unlocked already...sheeeees

I THINK replacement batteries should just come fully open and not any unlocking needed - i mean why nickle and dime your customer who is invested and dropping 22k already? And if they originally paid the unlock fee to go from 60 to 75 and need a new battery down the road just install it unlocked already...sheeeees
As far as I understood those who pay full price (i.e. not warranty replacement) get the full capacity.

So, I Finally got the update for my P85D --> P90D. (Invoice says: BATTERY RANGE UPGRADE, 85kWh to 90kWh, MSX (1091845-04-A)). Price 7182 NOK (Approx 700 USD) + 25 % sales tax.

Battery: 1014116-00-C

The update itself had to be set from the config team in US (according to the local Tesla guy who called me), and I was a lot back an forth on the phone whit the local tesla Service center (got great follow ups/info). I had to pay in advance and the payment had to follow the order to the config. Team. I was told it would take 3-4 days as the firmware had to go through several security steps (for some reason) and set manually by someone “higher up in the system”. Maybe security related regarding the voltage/battery fire or something like that.

Anyways, the SMT reads as follows after the unlock. No surprises her really:

SOC: 100 %
Nominal full pack: 87.0 kWh
Nominal remaining: 87.0 kWh
Energy buffer: 5 kWh
Usable remaining 82.0 kWh
Cell avg: 4.193 Vc
Cell min: 4.189 V
Cell max: 4.196 V
Rated range: 544 km/338 miles
Typical range: 435 km/270 miles
Full typical range: 436 km/270 miles

At the end I am happy how this turned out. The extra range was not that important really, but the return of true supercharger speed is!

Last edited:
So, I Finally got the update for my P85D --> P90D. (Invoice says: BATTERY RANGE UPGRADE, 85kWh to 90kWh, MSX (1091845-04-A)). Price 7182 NOK (Approx 700 USD) + 25 % sales tax.

The update itself had to be set from the config team in US (according to the local Tesla guy who called me), and I was a lot back an forth on the phone whit the local tesla Service center (got great follow ups/info). I had to pay in advance and the payment had to follow the order to the config. Team. I was told it would take 3-4 days as the firmware had to go through several security steps (for some reason) and set manually by someone “higher up in the system”. Maybe security related regarding the voltage/battery fire or something like that.

At the end I am happy how this turned out. The extra range was not that important really, but the return of true supercharger speed is!

Wonderful news, indeed. Enjoy the extra range and high supercharge speed and thanks for all the followups 👍

Not sure if this type of unlocking is still done in the U.S. and especially for the price range you paid.

Congrats! I just bought a used S with a new battery
1014116-00-C - same as yours. Question for you - Did Tesla reset your in car display to 90kw?

Wonderful news, indeed. Enjoy the extra range and high supercharge speed and thanks for all the followups 👍

Not sure if this type of unlocking is still done in the U.S. and especially for the price range you paid.
Not sure if it's in more recent car updates or the fact that it's been warmer weather but I've noticed my battery holding 100kw charging to 50-55% more recently. When I first got it in the winter I posted a video and it's much lower. Been a much better experience, will be interesting to see if it sloes down next winter.
What's more interesting is I plugged in at around 65% and the pack jumped straight to 110kw charging, quickly tapered down, but I think it's got lots of room for improvement that maybe limited by other things in the car

Last edited:
If 057 tech stays in business, they were offering a 100 kWh battery upgrade to the 85s and 90s that wasn't any more than this price. I hope they survive! That's a nice alternative to Tesla's offering. And it gives you the faster charging as well.

Not sure what Tesla's doing here, maybe reducing the amount of service requests? Or do they really, really, want to get rid of the older cars?

Not sure if it's in more recent car updates or the fact that it's been warmer weather but I've noticed my battery holding 100kw charging to 50-55% more recently. When I first got it in the winter I posted a video and it's much lower. Been a much better experience, will be interesting to see if it sloes down next winter.
What's more interesting is I plugged in at around 65% and the pack jumped straight to 110kw charging, quickly tapered down, but I think it's got lots of room for improvement that maybe limited by other things in the car

Temperature has a lot to do with it. This is my best stat this year:

1698067794225.png