Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service says $22k for new battery on 2012 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My P85 has a new battery as of a few months ago (out of warranty), $20k invoice...happy to share invoice if you all are interested.

Previous owner footed the bill.
I think a scan with the personal info removed would go a long way toward quieting the few in this thread playing the “how could we possibly know, this is why I didn’t say anything, we should just trust Tesla as I’m sure they’re doing the right thing” card.

Well, they weren't exactly on top on the eMMC chip situation IMO.

I hope you are right on the packs, as a bit more work is involved than even an MCU swap. I am sure pack prices will come down eventually.

I am expecting a good outcome, but prepared for the worst, the worst being I will cancel my future car orders and turn the MS pack into a powerwall, and have Rich put an LS1 into my roller.

I am old enough to be distrustful of companies once they are taken over by wall street. Recall well the snowmobile (DMC) and for more current events, look no further than today's story on Lordstown Motors scam.

I am a fan of Tesla, of 2012-2018. Current state of fandom is dependent on performance. An effort equal to the MY rollout would get my cudos.

The Refresh effort is concerning, but too early to pass judgement.
I am old, but I do vaguely remember an recorded video of an interview with Elon where he talked about recycling batteries. This was around 2013 or so, definitely not more recent. Here's the interesting part. When he was asked what to do/would be done with old battery packs, the answer he gave was remove them from the car and offer/use them in garages for energy storage. I'm not saying this is what gave birth to the idea of Powerwalls, but it was about the two years before the first Powerwalls were announced. Maybe that interview and his thought process gave rise to the development of Powerwalls vice using the packs. Maybe someone/anyone else could chime in if they remember those days?

BUT NOW it's critically important to highlight that Tesla owners will lose value on their 8 year old cars, I mean, most 8 year old cars don't lose value or do they?

I owned a sports car that blew an engine in year 6, the repair was $10K and it never drove as well again, whereas Gruber returns a Tesla to nearly previous levels of performance with a $5K battery repair (surgically disconnecting offending cells for example).

Your experience is an exception, not the norm. Most cars don't need any major engine or transmission work in the first 6 years.

I've owned many cars older than 10 years and not a single one ever blew an engine.

Losing value is one thing, being rendered completely inoperable and needing 20K of work is another.

Oooo you have 1.4 million kilometers (really?) on your "classic" the only reason Tesla is replacing MCU's is that the NHTSA FORCED them to. They have already come out with statements saying that it is a "wear item" to prevent future claims and regulation. I have 15 year old laptops that are working just fine and if memory fails on any computer I own I simply snap in a new RAM module, not have to spend $2000 on a new laptop. Oh, And please dont compare a disposable $20K smart car to an $80K supposed luxury vehicle

Sorry, 140,000 km ; one too many zeros, I was on a roll when I posted, and didn't edit that, good catch!

Re: MCU replacement, Tesla wasn't forced to offer an MCU replacement program, they could have just kept the MCU1 crawling along with an EMMC daughter card replacement for older cars and only did MCU2 for the AP 2.0+ cars, but they didn't, Tesla went further and allowed MCU2 for older AP1 cars too.

I too have kept laptops running over a decade, adding RAM, changing rotating drives for SSD, and after 4 such laptops died for bad battery, overheating, screen and hard disks, I would just repurpose them as media players, basement servers or whatever. No manufacturer has provided after sale help, I just hacked and kept them running on Linux. 99% of people could not do what I did and would just toss them in the scrap heap. There are people that do the same for Tesla's like @wk057, Gruber, Richie.

Re: my Smart ED, it was $36K CAD MSRP, a new Model 3 is $50K CAD, not much different in price. It's not disposable, it's a fantastic "commuting appliance", and I could afford to drive anything, but I choose the smallest car because of it's charm, there is a ruthless-usefulness about it.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Page 1.jpg

Page 2.jpg

Page 3.jpg

There you go folks...here's a receipt showing what you can expect to pay to replace the battery in your Model S (P85). @ucmndd @rns-e
Thanks! A few questions if you don't mind...

How is your range?

Can you provide any info on how you got the discount?

Are you going to rebadge the car as a 90?

Does it show up as a 90 in the avatar display in the MCU?

Thanks! A few questions if you don't mind...

How is your range?

Can you provide any info on how you got the discount?

Are you going to rebadge the car as a 90?

Does it show up as a 90 in the avatar display in the MCU?

I became the new owner on Friday, so my answers are going to be limited to what I know (which as you can expect ain't much). To complicate matters, the sunroof is now stuck in the open position with it off the track, and the vehicle is garaged until my Wed. service appointment. And to complicate complicated matters, it's garaged at my neighbors (to avoid rain pouring through the open sunroof), so there's that, too. ...all within about 2 minutes of ownership (facepalm)

I'll try to answer...

Range - Previous owner noted 265 miles at 80% charge

Discount - I am speculating here, but the previous owner had an identical car (VIN was like 1???) and was totaled in a rear end collision, and they bought this one. They also have a Model X. In short, they spend/t a lot of money at Tesla, so perhaps this is how they were able to negotiate a discount, OR as someone noted, the discount might be related to core charge? Although, this thread would suggest that might not be the case (many say $15k core charge). In short, I dunno.

Rebadge - Meh, I like the clean look without badges.

90 in the avatar display - I'll have to get back to you with that once I get an opportunity to be behind the wheel again : )

I became the new owner on Friday, so my answers are going to be limited to what I know (which as you can expect ain't much). To complicate matters, the sunroof is now stuck in the open position with it off the track, and the vehicle is garaged until my Wed. service appointment. And to complicate complicated matters, it's garaged at my neighbors (to avoid rain pouring through the open sunroof), so there's that, too. ...all within about 2 minutes of ownership (facepalm)

I'll try to answer...

Discount - I am speculating here, but the previous owner had an identical car (VIN was like 1???) and was totaled in a rear end collision, and they bought this one. They also have a Model X. In short, they spend/t a lot of money at Tesla, so perhaps this is how they were able to negotiate a discount, OR as someone noted, the discount might be related to core charge? Although, this thread would suggest that might not be the case (many say $15k core charge). In short, I dunno.

90 in the avatar display - I'll have to get back to you with that once I get an opportunity to be behind the wheel again : )
I have been looking at my sunroof recently, not sure how it came off the track.

The glass is held on with only 4 screws.

Here is a link that might help with troubleshooting:
That can't be right unless it had a 100 kWh battery when new. With a 90 kWh battery, I would expect closer to 236 miles at 80%. The original 85 kWh battery would've been even less.
Probably range is set to Ideal, not Rated.

I'll try to answer...

Here is the link to the panic sunroof: