Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service says $22k for new battery on 2012 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So much for Elon's promise 6 years ago that replacement battery costs would be a fraction of the $22K price tag quoted back then. Appears to be exactly the same cost.

This is why I won't keep my P85D past 8 years and why I can't buy a new one. When I drive 50K miles a years, the new battery warranty would expire in 3 years. I keep my cars for 8 to 10 years. I'd consider a new Tesla if I could buy an extended warranty on the battery for 8 years 300K miles.

Now all that said, I've driven little during Covid. If it stays that way, then I wouldn't be able to justify the cost of a premium EV in the first place.

Wow, a sample size of exactly ONE and you jump to assume "this will happen to me too?"

Suggest everyone take a chill pill and relax.

One data point is NOT a trend.

Furthermore, as I will post below, I'll posit that this is likely a few thousand dollar repair, either via a replacement battery from other sources (see below), or repair via Gruber Motors (at under $5k IIRC):

And there's that guy in North Carolina (or nearby) that's been hacking Teslas for years. I believe he's got a business refurbishing the HV battery, but can't find his website at the moment.

Lastly, there are PLENTY of wrecked Model S's that await a new life for their otherwise undamaged batteries. Perhaps you'll end up with a 90 or 100 kWh battery when this is all done?

As much as I loved my P85, this is the reason I got rid of it before it was out of warranty this summer.

Luckily, there are now some 3rd-party options including @wk057 , Rich Rebuilds, and Gruber Motors

Regarding the side-thread: Tesla replace my HV pack last year for excessive degradation. It was replaces with a reman pack and my battery warranty was not extended beyond the original 8-year/unlimited miles. This is pretty typical that repairs done under warranty do not extend beyond the original vehicle warranty terms.

Now service is telling me that if I buy a new battery for $22k I get a 4 year/50k mile warranty on the new battery,
Did you get a quote with the reference of the battery they propose at this price?

I wonder if it is the "new" 85/90 350V one, or indeed a reman.
Also, as it's out of warranty, do you get the option to ask a 100 instead of an 85?

Mine is still good for another 20 months, but curious to learn about the options. 22k is crazy anyway, even for a new 100 pack.

And there's that guy in North Carolina (or nearby) that's been hacking Teslas for years. I believe he's got a business refurbishing the HV battery, but can't find his website at the moment.

I am not sure if he is helping or not, I tried asking @wk057 this in the batterygate thread and he didn't explicitly say either way whether he refurbs packs for owners. I know he buys wrecks and sells modules, and BMS's, and everything other part, and he can even replace good packs in your car with other good packs from inventory, but does he take a Model S with a failed pack and replace that pack with a good pack? or refurbish it? It would be nice to know.

I am not sure if he is helping or not, I tried asking @wk057 this in the batterygate thread and he didn't explicitly say either way whether he refurbs packs for owners. I know he buys wrecks and sells modules, and BMS's, and everything other part, and he can even replace good packs in your car with other good packs from inventory, but does he take a Model S with a failed pack and replace that pack with a good pack? or refurbish it? It would be nice to know.

Can do whatever is needed, generally.

For the most part, packs aren't refurbishable. The fake "fixes" that have been shown, like cutting a cell fuse or soldering a new fuse to a BMB, are not real repairs/refurbishment. Just publicity nonsense.

An exception would be a bad BMB cell sense line, which I don't suggest repairing but is technically possible to repair.

I almost always suggest a complete replacement with a good pack, and I'm in a unique position to do this at a pretty reasonable rate when swapping out depending on the actual issue with the existing pack. If say, one module is bad... then I can swap your pack with a good one, resell the rest of the good modules from the old pack, and you only pay the difference plus reasonable labor and such. It's win win.

Most customers tend to take this opportunity to upgrade packs when possible, also, as most upgrade paths are doable (with the notable exception of a RWD 100) for half decent net costs.

Quote:"Wow, a sample size of exactly ONE and you jump to assume "this will happen to me too?"

Suggest everyone take a chill pill and relax.

One data point is NOT a trend."

How is this a sample size of anything? If you go into a store and they say something costs X, why would you go to another store (in the chain) and assume it would be different? Has anyone bought a battery from Tesla for less? This should be pretty easy to verify by asking any service dept how much a replacement battery costs. It shouldn't vary at all center to center. Why would it? I realize you could get some sort of deal depending on your relationship with said SC but the starting price should be close depending on size.

A quick google search shows someone else paid $16k
It Costs Nearly $16,000 to Replace a Tesla Model 3 Battery Pack

I remember seeing replacement cost of about $7k but not relative to anyone paying that for an actual replacement. Just folks suggesting how much is should cost. How Long Does a Tesla Battery Last? | Enel X

You know it's all academic until it's your battery that goes. As a long term owner this is definitely something I should know/understand.

Reactions: gnxs and glide
Just to confirm:
So no path for a 100 in a rear wheel drive (85S) ?

So... there is no _official_ path to a RWD 100.

I can make it work with some hacky trickery on some cars, depending the motor variant... but you'll be locked on the same firmware forever. Tesla gets a bit pissy about such hacks and likely will give you a hard time down the road if you ever want official service.

I honestly don't recommend it.

If money is not a problem, I can do a P100++ again... but you're better off just buying a new Performance S most likely.

OP's point, that Tesla wants $22k for a replacement battery while the cost of batteries is dropping

Counter point : Tesla makes profit selling new S/X with 18650 cells in short supply by Panasonic Japan. Those cells are not the ones "dropping in price" as it were. Panasonic is not in the business of lowing cell prices on their line in Japan, their battery business unit barely made a profit in 2020 after nearly 10 years of working with Tesla on the ramp up of cells for Model S/X and then 3/Y and now Tesla announce they are building their own production lines for new vehicles. Imagine being in the Panasonic board room watching battery day, and do expect they know they need to get every ounce of profit from their existing paid for facilities in 2021/2022/2023 before Tesla ramps the battery cell production in Texas.

My 2013 Model S is 95% original range "A" designation pack. It's costly to maintain a production line to produce old battery modules, pack and use cells to to fit my car, but they do, they remanufacture and keep old cars on the road.

Tesla have shown they do subsidize maintaining old cars even as they introduce a new pack (and motors and electronics, etc) as they have done for 2021 S/X. It actually costs MORE to maintain the old fleet, see the recall on the MCU for example.