Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service says $22k for new battery on 2012 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just replaced our original, pre-production 85 kWh battery in our 2012 Signature Edition P85 at 122,000 miles. While a remanufactured battery might have been an option at $16,000 installed, it would have charged at only 90kW maximum, had a "rated range" of 256 miles, and had a 12 month/12,000 miles warranty. Instead we chose to upgrade to a new 90 kWh battery, which is capable of charging (under ideal conditions) at up to 250 kW, and gives us closer to 300 miles of range for $22,000 installed. It also comes with a 4 year/50,000 miles warranty.
Was it an option to opt for 100 kWh replacement? (Did you ask?)

Thanks.

We just replaced our original, pre-production 85 kWh battery in our 2012 Signature Edition P85 at 122,000 miles. While a remanufactured battery might have been an option at $16,000 installed, it would have charged at only 90kW maximum, had a "rated range" of 256 miles, and had a 12 month/12,000 miles warranty. Instead we chose to upgrade to a new 90 kWh battery, which is capable of charging (under ideal conditions) at up to 250 kW, and gives us closer to 300 miles of range for $22,000 installed. It also comes with a 4 year/50,000 miles warranty.
So that is the new 350V battery. Did they change any of the wiring and anything in the cooling system? I'm sorry, but I doubt very much that you are going to see anything near 250kW charging. I would be surprised if you get 150kW at any point.

Did someone at Tesla tell you that you would be getting a up to 250kW charging rate?

On a positive note, you got a lot more range than the old battery.

Reactions: GSP and Rocky_H
So that is the new 350V battery. Did they change any of the wiring and anything in the cooling system? I'm sorry, but I doubt very much that you are going to see anything near 250kW charging. I would be surprised if you get 150kW at any point.

Did someone at Tesla tell you that you would be getting a up to 250kW charging rate?

On a positive note, you got a lot more range than the old battery.
I was told by Tesla that it will charge at V3. 250kW for any Tesla is only under ideal conditions, so anyone who actually expects to get that will be disappointed. Keep in mind our original battery could never charge faster than 90 kW and mostly charged at 30 - 45 kW during most Supercharging sessions. The new battery is already perform way better than that.

I've charged once with a somewhat cold battery in cool weather conditions after it was parked outside at work overnight. With ~43% SOC it charged at 110 kW on the V2 charger in Cheyenne and was at 100% in 40 minutes. The original battery would have taken more than an hour. I don't normally charge to 100%. This was an experiment because the original battery would keep throttling down charge as it got closer to full and would take so long I was never at risk for "idle charges". This one requires much closer attention to "charge complete". It's predicted charging time is accurate.

No wiring changes were needed for the upgrade but a mounting part and rear air conditioning drain were changed as part of the process.

There are many positives to the upgrade. We are happy to have done it. Next weekend we will travel to the Denver area and get our first chance to try a V3 Supercharger.

Attachments

• 20210423_111525.jpg
    20210423_111525.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 70
I was told by Tesla that it will charge at V3. 250kW for any Tesla is only under ideal conditions, so anyone who actually expects to get that will be disappointed. Keep in mind our original battery could never charge faster than 90 kW and mostly charged at 30 - 45 kW during most Supercharging sessions. The new battery is already perform way better than that.

I've charged once with a somewhat cold battery in cool weather conditions after it was parked outside at work overnight. With ~43% SOC it charged at 110 kW on the V2 charger in Cheyenne and was at 100% in 40 minutes. The original battery would have taken more than an hour. I don't normally charge to 100%. This was an experiment because the original battery would keep throttling down charge as it got closer to full and would take so long I was never at risk for "idle charges". This one requires much closer attention to "charge complete". It's predicted charging time is accurate.

No wiring changes were needed for the upgrade but a mounting part and rear air conditioning drain were changed as part of the process.

There are many positives to the upgrade. We are happy to have done it. Next weekend we will travel to the Denver area and get our first chance to try a V3 Supercharger.

I also have hit 100+ kW at the chargers on a regular basis, and I've documented that on my thread here (2012 Model S P85 Battery Replacement Receipt - sharing is caring).

Note: Mine doesn't display P## or ## or anything in the lower right corner of the display.

$22K with no core discount?

I think the Tesla person may have misunderstood your question as if you can charge at a V3 charger and not at how fast, because there is no way you are going to get anything above 150kW under any conditions.

It would be cool if you could find a V3 charger and try it out. I have the 85kWh version of the same battery and I'm not seeing any significant improvement in max kW when charging.

$22K with no core discount?

There is NO core discount, but there is a charge if you want to keep the battery.

$22k = new battery in your car and they keep the old battery

$22k + $15k (approx.) = new battery in your car and YOU keep the old battery*

*You can buy used batterypacks in the $12k +/- range, if you have some other project or endeavor you wish to embark upon.

I was told by Tesla that it will charge at V3.
Ah. I was going to say you were told wrong, but that does seem like just miscommunication. Like: "Can this charge at a V3 station?" "Yes, it is compatible with that."
I think the Tesla person may have misunderstood your question as if you can charge at a V3 charger and not at how fast, because there is no way you are going to get anything above 150kW under any conditions.
The battery pack was not the only limiting factor. When Tesla built the 3 and then Y, they used thicker cables to carry the current in the car to enable the faster charging speeds. The S and X have thinner cables and can't support that.

I don't know how fast a 2012 Model S with a new 90 kWh battery can Supercharge on a v3 Supercharger, but a 2017 Model S 100D can charge at close to 190 kW.
The truth may be somewhere between 130 and 190, as the 90 ish replacement for the 400V 85 pack is only 350v.

I'd be interested in this replacement pack in a few years, if my current 85 pack fails.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker