Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service says $22k for new battery on 2012 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My HV pack has died, the car is at the Burbank service center now. I would love to use @wk057, but I would need to ship the car to North Carolina and back, which adds another $3-4k. Based off pack availability and work queue, I wouldnt have my car back from Jason until March/April. Tesla can get my Sig P90 back on the road in early Feb

Yeah, we're definitely playing some catch up on packs at the moment, but slowly starting to speed things along. Should catch up soon-ish and get the lead times down to a couple weeks.

And yeah, shipping cross country isn't always the best option. It's still most likely going to cost less than working with Tesla directly, but if time is more of a concern than it's definitely better to just work with them directly instead currently. I have heard that it can still take them an extended period of time to get replacement packs (1-3 months at times), but a lot of service centers keep a couple in stock.

• Helpful
Reactions: byeLT4 and MP3Mike
Yeah, we're definitely playing some catch up on packs at the moment, but slowly starting to speed things along. Should catch up soon-ish and get the lead times down to a couple weeks.

And yeah, shipping cross country isn't always the best option. It's still most likely going to cost less than working with Tesla directly, but if time is more of a concern than it's definitely better to just work with them directly instead currently. I have heard that it can still take them an extended period of time to get replacement packs (1-3 months at times), but a lot of service centers keep a couple in stock.
Jason, you need a shop in California. There’s a boatload of Tesla’s here…….

Jason, you need a shop in California. There’s a boatload of Tesla’s here…….
I've looked into it. If I wanted to have the same operation out there as I have here it would literally cost 5x more money, average. So sure, would save a customer $3,000 on shipping by having to charge them more than Tesla for the service to begin with.... which just doesn't make sense.

Honestly..... doing business in California in general doesn't make sense to me at all, and I'd never want to give them any tax revenue.... but that's me.

Honestly..... doing business in California in general doesn't make sense to me at all, and I'd never want to give them any tax revenue.... but that's me.

There is that. And at the risk of putting the moderators in ill humor, we don't have a Madison Cawthorn in Congress out here. :eek: But we do have Kevin McCarthy so it might be a push.

But seriously, Nevada has no state income tax, and it is a short haul up Interstate 15 from El Lay to Vegas.

• Love
Reactions: Droschke and KJD
Could definitely go on about the various politics for hours. I usually just summarize such conversations with a few of the following points: My property taxes here have gone down more times than up since I've lived here... net increase of about $120/yr over nearly a decade... and by contrast, a friend in southern California pays more per year in property taxes in a year, for a property 1/4 the size of mine (not even in a very densely populated area, either), than I have in the past decade combined. :oops: AND I have faster internet. 😜 So for me personally, it seems it's obvious which places people are better off... but, to each their own. Business wise, the math is pretty clear that you'd have to be insane to have a company in California, and for most part it seems people have gotten that message.

🤞 for Tesla's move to Texas. hehe

Anyways! </politics>

Nevada was definitely an option, if nothing else than to make transport to/from California make more sense. Expanding locations is on the road map, but the main thing is our operation takes up a lot of space to do safely and effectively.... you know, no Roadsters sitting packed 2" apart and all. We're using the bulk of our current 30,000+ sqft space as it is, and it'd be tough to do everything sensibly in a significantly smaller space (which would likely be needed to get any space remotely cost effectively out west, even Nevada, especially California... for what we pay for our space here you'd get a shoebox in California, it's crazy). Problem is, if we had a smaller space just for service stuff to save car hauling but not actually doing our normal backend work there, then we're not really saving the customer anything since we'd still be shipped components cross country one way or another and having to pass along that cost.

So, it's an interesting balance, and one we check into pretty often to see if anything else makes sense.

Expanding locations is on the road map, but the main thing is our operation takes up a lot of space to do safely and effectively....
[...]
So, it's an interesting balance, and one we check into pretty often to see if anything else makes sense.

We have space in Idaho! But the residential housing market in the Boise area has shot up to some insane levels recently. The Twin Falls area, though, is attracting new businesses and factories quite a bit.

A good idea is never alone, these guys built a battery pack as a PoC Tesla Model S gets 752 miles of range with ONE's new energy-dense battery pack and intend to bring it to market in 2023. It's good to have options if they ever materialize :)
The only thing I didn't like about this test is that they did the speed at 55mph. Do the test for that pack at 75mph like all the other tests from other people online. No one in the USA drives 55mph. I doubt they will get 752 miles. My guess would be closer to 550 miles. But that would be bad publicity when they claim they got 200kwh in the same space as the original 100kwh pack. Just to show increasing capacity without reducing weight might not buy you anything. Volume is one thing, weight is another.

Reactions: FlatSix911
The only thing I didn't like about this test is that they did the speed at 55mph. Do the test for that pack at 75mph like all the other tests from other people online. No one in the USA drives 55mph. I doubt they will get 752 miles. My guess would be closer to 550 miles. But that would be bad publicity when they claim they got 200kwh in the same space as the original 100kwh pack. Just to show increasing capacity without reducing weight might not buy you anything. Volume is one thing, weight is another.
Agreed. But also, a 200kwh pack is gonna cost $40k

A good idea is never alone, these guys built a battery pack as a PoC Tesla Model S gets 752 miles of range with ONE's new energy-dense battery pack and intend to bring it to market in 2023. It's good to have options if they ever materialize :)

Yeah, I spotted this. Unfortunately it's not something likely ever to come to market for a number of reasons. I'd bet almost anything this is just a capital raise marketing ploy... likely the makings of a scam.

Long story short, I could 100% make a functional 200 kWh pack that would physically fit in the existing pack space without a ton of issues on the functionality side. Driving at well below normal highway flow speeds like they did, probably get 700-800 miles out of it.

But on the other hand, preventing it from immediately exploding in a minor accident, and making it capable of surviving the same environments as the OEM packs... that's the hard (read: currently impossible) part. There's always a trade off. In this case, increasing energy density has to be done to the detriment of safety. There's just no way around it.

Tesla's packs strike a great balance of energy density, safety, and overall usability/reliability. Sure, a company could make a pack that's twice as energy dense by eliminating all of the safety and reliability related hardware... but that seems like truly horrible idea.

Yeah, I spotted this. Unfortunately it's not something likely ever to come to market for a number of reasons. I'd bet almost anything this is just a capital raise marketing ploy... likely the makings of a scam.

Long story short, I could 100% make a functional 200 kWh pack that would physically fit in the existing pack space without a ton of issues on the functionality side. Driving at well below normal highway flow speeds like they did, probably get 700-800 miles out of it.

But on the other hand, preventing it from immediately exploding in a minor accident, and making it capable of surviving the same environments as the OEM packs... that's the hard (read: currently impossible) part. There's always a trade off. In this case, increasing energy density has to be done to the detriment of safety. There's just no way around it.

Tesla's packs strike a great balance of energy density, safety, and overall usability/reliability. Sure, a company could make a pack that's twice as energy dense by eliminating all of the safety and reliability related hardware... but that seems like truly horrible idea.
I went through their website. They are trying to launch LFP pack next year and make above 200kwh with less capacity as well. I also believe it's pure play for funding but believe them since sandy Munro made video with them regarding current LFP packs with model 3.

I can respect a good marketing stunt for funding, wouldn't call it a scam immediately. Give 'em the benefit of the doubt, they spent a lot of effort to get it running I presume ;) (noticed how the battery temperature indicator still shows that it's cold soaked halfway?)
It'll be interesting to see how this market will develop. If you're gonna get your car checked (DMV check? Not sure how that works in the US) do you need to prove that the battery is safe? Here in The Netherlands nobody is looking at your battery pack ATM but when replacement packs become a thing they'll have to consider the risks as well.

Reactions: navguy12
I can respect a good marketing stunt for funding, wouldn't call it a scam immediately. Give 'em the benefit of the doubt, they spent a lot of effort to get it running I presume ;) (noticed how the battery temperature indicator still shows that it's cold soaked halfway?)

Like Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos? 😏