Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service says $22k for new battery on 2012 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me the main difference/value will be the SuC charge speed.
If one wants to keep the car going, but not use it for road-trip, or don’t care about longer waiting time for charging, the reman is the better deal.

In preparation of our next ski vacation, I noticed it will take us 10.5h to get there because of 2.5h of charge (5 stops: charge time plus time lost because of the charge detour/stop). With a new 90, it would be only 3 stops, and in total 9h, so 1.5h faster.

It’s the first time we are short on time, and will leave at noon, to be there probably around midnight. This time, the 1.5h would have been great to arrive at a more decent hour. Usually, we drive over two days, so it’s not such a big deal. First world problems.
Yes, I did this math a while ago for the 100 vs my current 90, and came to the conclusion that a few hours a year was not worth the rather substantial upgrade cost. It costs me far less to just take a few more hours of PTO when it matters. That math will be based very much on your personal situation though.

So I maybe am jumping the gun here, but it looks like the battery replacement is turning out to be the worst case scenario. The replacement battery has finally arrived. It has been confirmed to be an 85Kwh battery, not the 90kwh battery agreed to when I approved the invoice. I asked for clarification if this was the old 400V one or the new 350Volt one, and I get no reply. It looks like the new battery is installed, the car is now showing 211 miles of range at 90% state of charge. Not Good. It sure appears to be an 10year old battery slapped together and sold back to me as new.

Like I said, I may be jumping the gun but the signs are not promising. I intend to pick up the car tomorrow.
Not good at all (not just bait and switch but) to have only 211 at 90%. Our P85 original battery is still 223 at 90%, so extrapolates to 247 at 100%. I met an owner with new 90 replacement battery in RWD S (I don’t remember if regular or P) which had 265+ with new 90 and much faster supercharging.

Don’t settle for the switch. Wait for the bait!

I forget how much cross-posting I'm allowed... but hopefully the admins will give me a little grace considering how little I use my vendor account:

:cool:

This HV battery replacement has nothing to do with maintenance. Everything in this world designed by engineers has a service life and then needs to be replaced.

True, but in comparison, a gas engine will go 150K-200K miles (15 years++) with regular greasy maintenance, and even then, a new ice is only $6K-$10K. OP has a bricked 8 year old car (with a 1.5 year old battery). Lets hope the latter generation batteries last longer.

It would make more financial sense to drive his car into a tree rather than pay $22K.

True, but in comparison, a gas engine will go 150K-200K miles (15 years++) with regular greasy maintenance, and even then, a new ice is only $6K-$10K. OP has a bricked 8 year old car (with a 1.5 year old battery). Lets hope the latter generation batteries last longer.

It would make more financial sense to drive his car into a tree rather than pay $22K.
Many will. Others fail much earlier. Like the BMW S85 which often loses rod bearings in the 50k mile range. Same with these batteries. These stories are notable because the expense is so high and the event seems to be relatively rare.

Given the choice between a new 90kwh for $22,000 (which is the title of this thread) and a reman 85kwh for $12,700, where both have a 4 yr 50K warranty, which would people choose? @glhs272 ?
I was faced with this conundrum. Refurbed pack for $15k w/ taxes or new pack for $23k w/ taxes. Tesla came back a week later and said "jk, no used packs available, only new." I'll pay the $23k so long as I'm guaranteed a brand new 90kwh pack. Burbank SC hasn't been super responsive, which worries me. Although I know that shipping a 1000lb+ battery pack takes weeks.....

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
Many will. Others fail much earlier. Like the BMW S85 which often loses rod bearings in the 50k mile range. Same with these batteries. These stories are notable because the expense is so high and the event seems to be relatively

Price out a new S85 long block at your local BMW dealer and the labor to R&R it - you could buy 2 Model S batteries for that money.

Reactions: navguy12
I forget how much cross-posting I'm allowed... but hopefully the admins will give me a little grace considering how little I use my vendor account:
This is great news that we now have an option for an HV battery service plan... the cost of coverage out of warranty looks very reasonable. :)
1643930257562.png

Folks, FYI the battery replacement is still in process. I want to give Tesla time to sort out our concerns. I feel it's fair to limit commenting on the issue until Tesla has had a chance to fully respond, but at least Tesla has acknowledged the concerns and is working to rectify.
So just a follow up on the battery situation. The battery has finally be properly replaced as of April 15th. Took a while, this all started November 26th, 2021. It took them until middle February to get the wrong battery pack installed. Then until April 15th to get the correct battery installed. However, the result is very positive. The car is fixed, it supercharges WAY better than the old 85 pack. And range has improved as well. Seems anecdotal, but my father claims the car has significantly more acceleration and power than it ever had... so I guess he is happy.

So it's officially a 2013 P90+. I assume there are a few P90+'s out there, but it's still a bit of a unicorn.

So just a follow up on the battery situation. The battery has finally be properly replaced as of April 15th. Took a while, this all started November 26th, 2021. It took them until middle February to get the wrong battery pack installed. Then until April 15th to get the correct battery installed. However, the result is very positive. The car is fixed, it supercharges WAY better than the old 85 pack. And range has improved as well. Seems anecdotal, but my father claims the car has significantly more acceleration and power than it ever had... so I guess he is happy.

So it's officially a 2013 P90+. I assume there are a few P90+'s out there, but it's still a bit of a unicorn.

Congrats. So, you got the new 350V battery? Would you mind posting the part#?

Tnx.

Was this a warranty replacement? Or did you have to pay out-of-pocket

Tesla offered me the same deal a few months ago for my out of warranty 85 kwh battery that has deteriorated to 210 miles max. I'm trying to hold out as long as possible before buying a new battery. Maybe the cost will come down in the future.
That’s a lot of range. What are you doing where that isn’t enough?