Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service says $22k for new battery on 2012 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@wk057 have you seen any Model 3/Y pack swaps?
We've done a couple, but it's a huge PITA compared to the S/X. We're still trying to work on a workflow that can make it cost effective for us to add the Model 3 to our service program, but it's definitely going to be tricky to hit a price point that's not too wild.

I got my Model S VIN 1751 off the line back in 2012 and have had it ever since. On Feb 14th during the day, I pulled it out of the garage with 114 miles showing on the battery. I woke up in the morning with some battery low errors. When I got into the car, it told me that the car wouldn't drive because it needed service, the 12V battery was low voltage and the HV battery was at 0 miles. After calling Tesla Roadside Assistance, they connected to the car and said that it had to be towed to a service center. I was able to get it towed to the closes Tesla service center and now they the tell me my warranty for the drivetrain expired on 1/9/21 (one month earlier) and the HV battery has to be replace for $22k. If my battery was 8 years old, I would be ok with that. I assumed a level of risk having a car for this long and I expected that the battery would go bad at some point. It's just a shame that it died a month after the warranty expired. The kicker for me is that I had a faulty backflow prevention valve in my HV battery 1.5 years ago and had the battery replaced under warranty. Now service is telling me that if I buy a new battery for $22k I get a 4 year/50k mile warranty on the new battery, but the battery they replaced 1.5 years ago only had a one year warranty for parts. I feel I had to somewhat document this to people as I am one of the first roughly 2k-2.5k cars that are out of warranty at this point and I seem to be one of the first to at least document out of warranty replacement options on this site (at least as my search abilities go). So be careful when that warranty expires. You are on your own. Tesla isn't budging on helping my 1.5 year old bad battery and now essentially bricked car. From what I can tell, the car is worth somewhere between $18k-25k working. I'm not sure yet if I'm going forward with the battery replacement to sell it or not.
I doubt the entire battery pack has died or been damaged. It’s likely a component failure in the battery that’s let the smoke out. This is where electronic repair experts are going to shine soon. Thousands of 18650 batteries, controllers and contactors inside of the housing and I would bet only 1% has actually failed or been damaged.

I doubt the entire battery pack has died or been damaged. It’s likely a component failure in the battery that’s let the smoke out. This is where electronic repair experts are going to shine soon. Thousands of 18650 batteries, controllers and contactors inside of the housing and I would bet only 1% has actually failed or been damaged.

My understanding is there are 2 parts to the battery -- the control electronics and the batteries themselves.

The batteries are enormously complex -- they're weird little chemical analog electronic things with 20-30 different dimensions per battery and per battery brick. All of it has to be balanced across all those devices for some set of critical dimensions for the battery management system to be happy. There are lots of patents and lots of dark voodoo hidden in there that may or may not be reasonable to assume is silly "ya ain't gonna need it" stuff. For some of those dimensions, perhaps an engineer thought there's a small chance this or that parameter contributed to one thermal runaway, so they nerfed it. Others, if you don't get it right the batteries catch fire on their 800th and above cycle if it's below 40 degrees f. But fine otherwise....

Tesla themselves are in an okay position to test each module and possibly find matching sets of modules for refurbished packs. Presumably they've got the piles of dead packs, the test suite, etc. Even they only offer a 2 year warranty, which probably means they really don't trust their refurbished packs at all.

The power / BMS electronics, probably they can just be fixed, no problem.

Those stacks of ex-tesla battery packs, probably, are better used for per module applications downstream.

Hopefully tesla comes out with a lower cost pack options besides just the refurbished packs. Ideally they'd lower the price of the existing new replacement and also come out with LFP based replacements with less range and lower cost the refurbished. Hello BYD!

(IMO the legacy S/X models are the ideal test platform for evaluating battery technologies -- they're well understood, battery swaps on them are fast, they're setup to phone home and deliver all the battery telemetry, etc. )

Reactions: Droschke
Tesla themselves are in an okay position to test each module and possibly find matching sets of modules for refurbished packs. Presumably they've got the piles of dead packs, the test suite, etc. Even they only offer a 2 year warranty, which probably means they really don't trust their refurbished packs at all.

The power / BMS electronics, probably they can just be fixed, no problem.

Those stacks of ex-tesla battery packs, probably, are better used for per module applications downstream.
I suspect that Tesla repairs any failed packs where it is just an electronics problem, which was hinted at in a recent fireside chat as being the largest percent of failures. For packs with a module/cell failure they take 16 modules packs and make 14 module packs out of them. If they can't get 14 good modules out of a pack it is probably just fed in to their recycling process. (They have mentioned that they don't really have enough failed packs to really get their recycling process going good.)

Of course that only applies to "legacy" Model S/X packs. All of the current packs only have 4, for the 3/Y, or 5, for the S/X, modules in them. So if it is anything but an electronics problem the pack is probably just sent to the recycling process.

Not a statistically relevant sample set, but that's what happened to mine.
Here is what Drew Baglino said, from the auto-generated transcript:

yeah we were very pessimistic we were we were unnecessarily pessimistic about how long the batteries would last um electrochemically we were over optimistic on how long they would last for all the other reasons um so you know we had water ingress issues at the battery pack level that had nothing to do with the cell that we had to learn about how to deal with we had um a lot of you know there's a lot of electronics in batteries to monitor all the cell voltages and do all that stuff and we we had learnings about about ways in which electronics can fail um and maybe whether or not they should be serviceable so that that's not a reason to scrap a battery um we had some learnings about you know shock and vibration or thermal cycling that don't show up until you've been in the field for 10 years that had nothing to do with the cells so honestly looking back on it the cells have have outlasted our expectation outside of the cell has come short of our expectation

I'm puzzled. I thought those new 1014116-00-C batteries were Tesla's solution for out of warranty replacements, but it does not look that way. I'm not out of warranty yet, but was "happy" with that option. If that's out of the table now... food for thoughts
Actually, the 1014116-00-C are 100% new and DO show up in the catalog. They show up under 2016+ parts as:
1654732115418.png

I am scheduled to receive this battery on July 5th for my 2013 S85. The SC has the battery and is waiting for new rear suspension arms to handle the extra weight for stability.

No. They are new. If they are remanufactured in ANY way, they must be disclosed as REMAN. Reman parts show up on the invoices and parts catalog (either in the description or part number) as REMAN (as per legal disclosure requirements).

That's what I thought, that they are not remanufactured from the older modules. And, the 1014116 packs are the only 14-module packs we know of (On Edit: as the replacements for 85kWh packs) and Tesla is asking $22K for them if you want to buy out of pocket.

Last edited:
I suspect that Tesla repairs any failed packs where it is just an electronics problem, which was hinted at in a recent fireside chat as being the largest percent of failures. For packs with a module/cell failure they take 16 modules packs and make 14 module packs out of them. If they can't get 14 good modules out of a pack it is probably just fed in to their recycling process. (They have mentioned that they don't really have enough failed packs to really get their recycling process going good.)

Of course that only applies to "legacy" Model S/X packs. All of the current packs only have 4, for the 3/Y, or 5, for the S/X, modules in them. So if it is anything but an electronics problem the pack is probably just sent to the recycling process.
There has been much speculation about what the remanufacture process entails... If its just replacing the BMS or other boards, it would be cost effective to replace them and label it as a reman.
As for the theory that Tesla is going to tear down a pack, test each module and pull out 2 bad ones, it would likely end up being cost prohibitive just from a labor perspective. Each of the remaining modules would all need to be close in the tolerance range (finding 14 matching modules, re-arraigning them, etc.), and even then could end up being a liability down the road and prone to further failure.
I would think that if there are bad modules, they send the battery for recycling. They COULD use the modules for other purposes, such as solar storage, since the tolerances are much lower.
In fact, there is a VERY strong secondary market for the used modules. I suspect they are selling them to those markets.

In any case, a remanufactured part MUST be disclosed as such on the invoice per the law (In California its 16 CCR § 3356,c,(2)).

As for the theory that Tesla is going to tear down a pack, test each module and pull out 2 bad ones, it would likely end up being cost prohibitive just from a labor perspective. Each of the remaining modules would all need to be close in the tolerance range (finding 14 matching modules, re-arraigning them, etc.), and even then could end up being a liability down the road and prone to further failure.
I would think that if there are bad modules, they send the battery for recycling.
Wk057 says he has seen that they sometimes remove two modules from a 16 module pack to make a 14 module pack. Diagnostics would tell them which two modules to remove before they even open it. The remaining 14 modules are already "perfectly" matched, no searching necessary. So labor would be minimal. However the BMS does have to be be replaced.