Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service says $22k for new battery on 2012 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wk057 says he has seen that they sometimes remove two modules from a 16 module pack to make a 14 module pack. Diagnostics would tell them which two modules to remove before they even open it. The remaining 14 modules are already "perfectly" matched, no searching necessary. So labor would be minimal. However the BMS does have to be be replaced.
Agreed, If only 2 modules are bad, then they COULD remove 2 of them, but capacity would be reduced. Couldn't take 2 modules from a 85kw and use it to replace on a 85, but probably could use it on a 70 or lower. I suppose they could do it from a 90 donor battery, dunno to be honest.
But if more than 2 are bad, I would say recycle time.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide and MP3Mike
Agreed, If only 2 modules are bad, then they COULD remove 2 of them, but capacity would be reduced. Couldn't take 2 modules from a 85kw and use it to replace on a 85, but probably could use it on a 70 or lower. I suppose they could do it from a 90 donor battery, dunno to be honest.
But if more than 2 are bad, I would say recycle time.
Right, you've got the gist of it.

A 16 module 85kwh with cell/module problems becomes a 14 module 70kwh remanufactured pack.
A 16 module 90kwh with cell module problems becomes a 14 module 75kwh remanufactured pack.

Can't really remanufacture a 60 in the same way, which is why you see a lot of those original 60 cars with battery failures getting 70s or 75s as replacements these days.

100s are a different beast altogether - although as they age and more of them start to fail I suspect we WILL start to see more of these 14 module 350v "90" packs with a REMAN part number.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I've a mountain of data that highly suggests Tesla really doesn't care about what's labeled as new or reman, at least with regard to the actual battery modules themselves... not enough to prove beyond all doubt, but, beyond enough to be a noteworthy point.

Is a pack technically new if the case is new, the BMS is new, the wires are new, and every single thing is new except the battery modules? 🤷‍♂️ I'd say no, but based on what I've seen I think Tesla might think otherwise.

Probably a discussion for another time and place.

I've a mountain of data that highly suggests Tesla really doesn't care about what's labeled as new or reman, at least with regard to the actual battery modules themselves... not enough to prove beyond all doubt, but, beyond enough to be a noteworthy point.

Is a pack technically new if the case is new, the BMS is new, the wires are new, and every single thing is new except the battery modules? 🤷‍♂️ I'd say no, but based on what I've seen I think Tesla might think otherwise.

So in theory one may be able to speculate that there's no correlation between "battery constrained" and "ethically constrained" ?

Corporations in general, according to milton freidman, are supposed to be (law abiding?) profit seeking sociopaths.

Reactions: wk057
<Morpheus enters the conversation>
What is 'new'?
How do you define 'new'?
If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then 'new' is simply the shiny case known to your brain.

ezgif-3-7136dfb725.gif

Does that mean NEW Packs Tesla says might have used modules?

Just got a replacement battery for my 2015 P85D (Warranty), Will pick the car tomorrow.

The invoice says: ASY,HV BATT,85KWH, S3,BB,DUMO,REMANUFACTURED,MDLS (1014116-00-C). Any one know anything about a REMAN 1014116-00-C? Tesla parts lists the 1014116-00-C only as a 90KWh battery ...

I'm surprised too. Never heard of a 85kWh Reman 1014116-00-C. Interesting.

They have been inconsistent as to whether they call this part an "85" or "90" kWh pack but I strongly suspect it's just labeling inconsistency and the internals are completely identical - 14x "100-style" modules with an original nominal capacity of ~89.6 kWh.

Reactions: FlatSix911
They have been inconsistent as to whether they call this part an "85" or "90" kWh pack but I strongly suspect it's just labeling inconsistency and the internals are completely identical - 14x "100-style" modules with an original nominal capacity of ~89.6 kWh.

Nominal full pack: 87.3kWh

Reactions: ucmndd
I'm surprised too. Never heard of a 85kWh Reman 1014116-00-C. Interesting.

Or might be this 1597780-01-A Reman 85kWh 350VDC that they are now labeling it as 1014116-00-C Reman ???

Hmmm ... what is a refurbished battery pack? Are you saying just some of the cells are replaced. Are you saying a slightly used pack from a wreck car is used? Where did you get this information?I
I guess you will never know the difference as long as you get the expected range once you picked up the car. I could be getting refurbished battery in my my 2022. That's why Tesla provides a battery warranty.

Reactions: CyberGus
Hmmm ... what is a refurbished battery pack? Are you saying just some of the cells are replaced. Are you saying a slightly used pack from a wreck car is used? Where did you get this information?

The pack is more than just the cells. If they re-used really anything, such as the electronics, it would still be a "refurb" even if all the cells are new.

I don't think Tesla has ever indicated what "refurb" exactly means. If it has full capacity and is warrantied, then does it matter?

Reactions: Pcm888usa