Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service says $22k for new battery on 2012 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it has full capacity and is warrantied, then does it matter?

It matters a lot if you are paying $22K out of pocket:

"(a) It is unfair or deceptive to represent, directly or by implication, that any industry product is new or unused when such is not the fact, or to misrepresent the current condition, or extent of previous use, reconstruction, or repair of any industry product."

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
It matters a lot if you are paying $22K out of pocket:

"(a) It is unfair or deceptive to represent, directly or by implication, that any industry product is new or unused when such is not the fact, or to misrepresent the current condition, or extent of previous use, reconstruction, or repair of any industry product."

I was suggesting that an assembly marked as "refurbished" could be entirely made of used parts, or have only 1 used part. If they all perform equally and have a warranty, then it's not relevent how much it is refurbished.

I was suggesting that an assembly marked as "refurbished" could be entirely made of used parts, or have only 1 used part. If they all perform equally and have a warranty, then it's not relevent how much it is refurbished.

Understood. I thought the last couple of posts were related to @zoomer0056 responding to the post from @ucmndd about the $22K out of pocket for what Tesla sells as a new battery (those packs are also warranted). But thanks for clarifying what you were referring to.

I would assume that we all agree if someone pays $22k out of pocket and is told that's for a new battery pack, then that battery pack, or any component of it, better not be refurbished or remanufactured in any form or shape without disclosure.

It’s a 10-year old car and was 8.5-years old when it had a replacement battery. But of course ICE cars don’t require maintenance and last forever.
Right. Like people are replacing engines and transmissions in ICE vehicles every 8.5 years…GTFO with that nonsense.

Also, this repair is probably more than 50% of the vehicle’s current market value. That is absurd.

Right. Like people are replacing engines and transmissions in ICE vehicles every 8.5 years…GTFO with that nonsense.

Also, this repair is probably more than 50% of the vehicle’s current market value. That is absurd.
What qty of people are having to replace their batteries? Are you suggesting that every Tesla will need this replacement every 8.5 years?

What qty of people are having to replace their batteries? Are you suggesting that every Tesla will need this replacement every 8.5 years?
Ask Tesla. They don’t make that data public.

They have been making cars for over a decade at this point. Not many original Roadsters left on the road. Not many original Model S left on the road. Why do you suppose that is?

Same place I got my Roadster data. Is there a reason you didn’t question that?

The burden of proof, I'm afraid, is on you. I know of many vehicles even older than mine still driving on the original battery. I have a 2014 with 250,000 miles on it. Still the original battery. Only ancidotal evidence, but more evidence than you have provided.

My 2013 Ford Explorer Sport $50k purchased new averaged $2500 dollars a year on servicing. I kept it 3-years as I was quoted $5k at 37-months. At that rate I would have ended up paying as much if not more after 10 years of ownership. It wouldn’t have lasted 10-years anyway.

All vehicles need servicing. The OP went 8.5 years before a failure (warranty) and then 10-years before it failed completely. Batteries for BEV can be replaced efficiently and cheaply outside of Tesla.

Who would buy a new engine for a 10- year old ICE. No one with any sense. The issue here is that Tesla are quoting X but in reality there are better sources. Checking through this thread a 3rd party could repair/replace the battery for many thousands less.

A BEV owner friend of mine sold his failed battery which was reused for another purpose and off set the new cost of a non brand battery and in return got a more efficient and powerful battery installed. His BEV has been on the road 12-years with the same motors and parts. Still far more efficient than an ICE.

An ICE would have ended up junked.

Checking your posts you haven’t offered anything constructive other than taunts about Tesla fan bois.

Last edited:
Jumping in here from Germany - no matter how long the bat lasts - it's shady that tesla locks the gateway for 3rd party repairs and you need Russion/Ukrainian hacker services that charge you 500bucks for the few hours they give you remotely exploited root session on MCU2.

It's the reason I am abandoning my SC01 P85+ now for a Model Y (so Tesla strategy worked in my case)

Last edited:
Definitely post the picture of the label. Thanks.
So I got the car back with the REMAN 1014116-00-C. There is NO sticker/label on the battery. I have checked behind left/right front wheel.

It’s around 74 F outside and I went straitht for supercharging (15 min drive). Sadly, battery i still nerfed and I assume it’s a 85Kwh pack, not 90 Kwh. Charging starts at 80 Kw around 20 % (only some seconds), then appr. 60 kw and down. It takes about one hour to charge from 20-80 %. It seems like I have lost range compared to the old battery. I get 320 km (typical)@ 90 % charge = 199 miles. I used to have around 350 km. Perhaps it’s an BMS issue? I have to ask Tesla, but I'm not so happy with my «swap».

Not to be a useful idiot, but Tesla does have a lot of data that would be really nice to see.
But, there is very little that can be derived from Roadster longevity data, to 2012-13 S data, to later S models. There were rather big changes along the way with proven longevity improvements. Well - proven - let's just say generally agreed upon from people who have been studying this stuff for a decade.
I don't consider myself a fanboy - in fact will not ever buy a Tesla again. But I don't think Roadster longevity data has much relevance to my 2015 - not that we even have this data.
That being said, battery longevity and cost is an issue that does not effect ICE vehicles. Age does not hurt an ICE engine that much and catastrophic failure is very uncommon in the first 20 years. Not unheard of but uncommon for cars say manufactured in the 1990s. And then there is an easier path to a few $k used replacement - since failure is so uncommon.
I would suspect the majority agree that $22k is too much given the warranty obtained (If it was 8 years - and it should be - then $22k is okay for me). And that is why most educated folks do not spend that much. They go to third party or work to get refurb.
When you consider cost, you should factor in about $2k a year for fuel savings. So $22k for 8 years given that $16k is saved in fuel is perfectly reasonable. Or $11k (for refurb) for 4 years is also quite good.
Obviously - if someone drives a small number of miles - then financially they should not be driving an old Model S or really any EV. EV's make financial sense when gas prices are very high or miles are high. Not that money dictates all decisions but since cost of a battey is the topic, it is more relevant than usual.

So I got the car back with the REMAN 1014116-00-C. There is NO sticker/label on the battery. I have checked behind left/right front wheel.

It’s around 74 F outside and I went straitht for supercharging (15 min drive). Sadly, battery i still nerfed and I assume it’s a 85Kwh pack, not 90 Kwh. Charging starts at 80 Kw around 20 % (only some seconds), then appr. 60 kw and down. It takes about one hour to charge from 20-80 %. It seems like I have lost range compared to the old battery. I get 320 km (typical)@ 90 % charge = 199 miles. I used to have around 350 km. Perhaps it’s an BMS issue? I have to ask Tesla, but I'm not so happy with my «swap».
No sticker on a replacement battery? I know they sometimes fall off in use... but in this case one could start to think as if they pulled the battery of another car and made up the information on the invoice. Very strange indeed, and unfortunate you did not get full charge speed. I would have to say to cylce it a couple of times and try again with a warm battery.

Reactions: FlatSix911
No sticker on a replacement battery? I know they sometimes fall off in use... but in this case one could start to think as if they pulled the battery of another car and made up the information on the invoice. Very strange indeed, and unfortunate you did not get full charge speed. I would have to say to cylce it a couple of times and try again with a warm battery.
Yes. strange. I'll do a couple of cycles and I've sent a message to the Tesla team regarding this.

Attachments

• IMG_20220624_123749[1].jpg
    IMG_20220624_123749[1].jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Not to be a useful idiot, but Tesla does have a lot of data that would be really nice to see.
But, there is very little that can be derived from Roadster longevity data, to 2012-13 S data, to later S models. There were rather big changes along the way with proven longevity improvements. Well - proven - let's just say generally agreed upon from people who have been studying this stuff for a decade.
I don't consider myself a fanboy - in fact will not ever buy a Tesla again. But I don't think Roadster longevity data has much relevance to my 2015 - not that we even have this data.
That being said, battery longevity and cost is an issue that does not effect ICE vehicles. Age does not hurt an ICE engine that much and catastrophic failure is very uncommon in the first 20 years. Not unheard of but uncommon for cars say manufactured in the 1990s. And then there is an easier path to a few $k used replacement - since failure is so uncommon.
I would suspect the majority agree that $22k is too much given the warranty obtained (If it was 8 years - and it should be - then $22k is okay for me). And that is why most educated folks do not spend that much. They go to third party or work to get refurb.
When you consider cost, you should factor in about $2k a year for fuel savings. So $22k for 8 years given that $16k is saved in fuel is perfectly reasonable. Or $11k (for refurb) for 4 years is also quite good.
Obviously - if someone drives a small number of miles - then financially they should not be driving an old Model S or really any EV. EV's make financial sense when gas prices are very high or miles are high. Not that money dictates all decisions but since cost of a battey is the topic, it is more relevant than usual.
One would think the company and thus all relevant employees at Tesla are focussed on the Model 3,Y and new S models + Cybertruck. The legacy S-es that we drive have just been a temporary product to get to the FSD 'capable' and more 'reliable' and overall better models. It thus seems to be in the interest of Tesla to get rid of the legacy S-es as quick as possible. But I'm afraid it is too soon for that and they are stuck with the fleet for at least another 10-15 years.

Also, wouldn't it be cool to make the legacy models last a long as possible, as a PR statement of electric vehicle lifetime by offering battery upgrades with large capacity, charge speed and warranty for a reasonable price, say 10k. They have the money but I dont think the right people on it to make this happen, since these are all working on the new stuff. Plus another reason is they are battery restricted regarding all current production. In the interest of the company's mission (electrify all cars) I guess cranking out some more model 3's would be the better option than keeping some old S'es running.

We are switching from a consumers market to a producers market. You buy what you can get.... you cannot get to pick and choose!