Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service says $22k for new battery on 2012 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some 1014116-00-C (under warranty) have been capped and some have not. Interesting to see what the case is with @NettMD . I would say even if he is capped, he can enjoy charging to 100% because of the top buffer.
Yes it's definetily capped. Supercharged this morning and was happy enough with the speed. Startet out at 85Kw@52% and arrived at 100% after approx 40 min. I had 33Kw@99% and 100% range is 248 miles. I topped it at home again (after approx 15 % loss) and the charge didn't slow down at the end as it usually did (charging home @7.4Kw). I'm happy with it, but wonder why Tesla bother to cap 4-5 % of the battery

Yes it's definetily capped. Supercharged this morning and was happy enough with the speed. Startet out at 85Kw@52% and arrived at 100% after approx 40 min. I had 33Kw@99% and 100% range is 248 miles. I topped it at home again (after approx 15 % loss) and the charge didn't slow down at the end as it usually did (charging home @7.4Kw). I'm happy with it, but wonder why Tesla bother to cap 4-5 % of the battery

Thanks for the info. I too do not know why they cap some and don't with others. Your experience is similar to this owner:

I just picked the car. For days they have been tuning the battery up and down and slowly getting more range out of it (checked severeal time a day through the app). They never managed to get out more than approx 2-3% less than my old pack (377 vs 389 km). Last night I got a message it was finished, and the Invoice says indeed "Inspected and confirmed customer`s concern. Found that an incorrect high voltage battery pack was installed. Replaced HV battery and confirmed normal vehicle operation."
There is no information about the new battery on the invoice, but finally it seems like I got a real 1014116-00-C. The battery has a sticker, and there is no word about it beeing a reman pack. Serial nr starts with T22 (produced 2022??), so I guess it's a new battery. My only concern is that it's a 350V battery on a performance car, but over all I'm happy. I'll check supercharging the next days.
Glad my guess that they must have accidentally put in the wrong pack was true :)

Reactions: NettMD and Rocky_H
Glad my guess that they must have accidentally put in the wrong pack was true :)
I have a feeling it was more like "accidentally" since they were trying to tune the battery for 3 long days (8 AM-10 PM!) before they swapped to the new battery. But, sure, I'm super happy about the result. I'l post some more battery stats when I get my cable/OBD2 device I have ordered.

Finally got cable and OBD2 dongle for SMT. So my new 1014116-00-C, 90Kw/350V battery @100 charge shows:

SOC: 91.1 %

SOC Min: 92.4%

SOC UI: 91.6 %

Battery voltage: 347V

Cell volt avg: 4.137Vc

Cell volt max: 4.139Vc

Cell volt min: 4.134Vc

Cell diff: 0.005Vcd

Cell imbalance 5.19 mV

Nominal full pack: 87.3kWh

Nominal remaining: 80 kWh

Energy buffer: 5.0kWh

Usable remaining: 75 kWh

Rated range: 499km

Typical range: 399km/248 miles

Full rated range: 541km/336 miles

Full typical range: 433km/269 miles

Finally got cable and OBD2 dongle for SMT. So my new 1014116-00-C, 90Kw/350V battery @100 charge shows:

SOC: 91.1 %

SOC Min: 92.4%

SOC UI: 91.6 %

Battery voltage: 347V

Cell volt avg: 4.137Vc

Cell volt max: 4.139Vc

Cell volt min: 4.134Vc

Cell diff: 0.005Vcd

Cell imbalance 5.19 mV

Nominal full pack: 87.3kWh

Nominal remaining: 80 kWh

Energy buffer: 5.0kWh

Usable remaining: 75 kWh

Rated range: 499km

Typical range: 399km/248 miles

Full rated range: 541km/336 miles

Full typical range: 433km/269 miles

Thanks for the info.

The full range of 248 miles and the imposed top buffer of ~7 kWh match the other European owner's stats I gave you the link for. Interesting that both of you received the same capacity configuration!

I'm not an expert, but I thought nominal voltage is usually measured somewhere around 50% SOC with individual cells at ~3.7v. A nominal 350v pack in a Model 3, for example, has a pack voltage around 400v near the max state of charge.
What Tesla labels on the packs isn't nominal voltage, it is fully charged voltage. (Though the 400v packs actually charge to about 403v at 100%.)

Thanks for the info.

The full range of 248 miles and the imposed top buffer of ~7 kWh match the other European owner's stats I gave you the link for. Interesting that both of you received the same capacity configuration!
Yep, that matches my 350V pack almost exactly, maybe a std config for 85kWh replacements.
Have been really happy with this pack, better range and charge speed than the original.

Yes, it's very puzzling why they cap some packs and don't do others.
I was just told that I could upgrade the car from a P85D --> P90D through Tesla for approx. 900 USD (inc tax). I asked in the app and got a confirmation call today. I was told Tesla capped all 85 packs when changed on warranty, but that I could free the “hidden” 7 kWh for that amount. They’ll do the config OTA in a couple of days, and I’ll post the new SMT when ready