TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Service says I can't upgrade 2013 P85 to new TPMS - help!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by AmpedRealtor, Oct 10, 2016.

1. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I contacted service to ask about upgrading my 2013 P85 to the new style TPMS system that will give me individual tire pressure readouts on the speedo. Service said that they normally perform this upgrade when there are problems with the old TPMS system, but that installing the new system into an old car will NOT enable the individual pressure display.

My service advisor is looking into it further and contacting the parts people for costs for all the components. Can anyone here who has performed this upgrade, and who can see the individual pressures displayed, possibly help me out with what needs to be done to make sure I get the right upgrade and am able to see the individual tire pressure readouts?

It looks like this is going to cost about $500, and I have a $300 credit with Tesla and would like to use it to get this upgrade. I want to help my service advisor as much as I can, since he isn't as familiar with this upgrade as I would like.

2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Have you looked at this thread? A number of people there report having upgraded theirs.

3. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

A friend of mine had this "upgrade" done at the Scottsdale service center. He had to have his sensors and receiver replaced due to some continuing TPMS failures. But they would not update the firmware to enable the display of the TPMS readout. After he took in his car for the similar TPMS problems, he complained to them and they enabled the software. So it can be done and it has been done at the same service center you went to.

• Funny x 1
  4. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

5. AmpedRealtor

Thanks everyone, my fingers are crossed! :)

6. green1

green1 Active Member

This is one of the reasons Tesla needs to open up their service ability to DIY and 3rd party. We should not be at the whim of what Tesla wants to do when we know they can do much more. If you want to pay for the upgrade, who are they do refuse it?

There isn't another manufacturer on the planet that would actively block you from doing this.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

8. AmpedRealtor

@brianman I have around 53,000 miles currently.

Service got back to me after researching, they have ordered the parts and I am scheduled for the install on the 24th. Yay!

9. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

So how much is the total cost?

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Ah, just past the 50k barrier.

11. SD Diver

SD Diver Member

Ditto - how much? I'm interested as well.

12. AmpedRealtor

$589 w/ tax. I applied my leftover $302 referral credit, so my final cost is under $300.

• Informative x 1