Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service scheduled before warranty expired, still covered after 50,000 miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a few items that have been defective with my car for a few months now, I scheduled mobile service (I live 4 hours away from the nearest US service location) back in spring, but due to a mistake on Tesla's end they never came and I'm still waiting on them to come out. I finally got an appointment for October, but my car will hit the 50,000 mile warranty limit next week.

If I've reported the issue and scheduled service before I hit 50,000 miles, will it still be covered? Logically it should be, but I'm curious what others' experience was in a similar situation, if it was handled properly by Tesla or if you had to argue your case.

I have a few items that have been defective with my car for a few months now, I scheduled mobile service (I live 4 hours away from the nearest US service location) back in spring, but due to a mistake on Tesla's end they never came and I'm still waiting on them to come out. I finally got an appointment for October, but my car will hit the 50,000 mile warranty limit next week.

If I've reported the issue and scheduled service before I hit 50,000 miles, will it still be covered? Logically it should be, but I'm curious what others' experience was in a similar situation, if it was handled properly by Tesla or if you had to argue your case.

This is one of those things where I would say "with most car dealers, you would have no problem. With Tesla, I am not so sure". They "should" cover things that are reported before the end of the warranty (if they are coverable in the first place), especially if the lag time between your report and the service appointment is not your fault.

With that being said, many times Tesla doesnt behave the way we all think they should, so I am not sure on this. I would call into the service center where your appointment is (before your car hits the 50k mileage) and let them know your concerns. Perhaps they can put something in your file, or even expedite your appointment.

I wouldnt just "expect it to all work out" though, not without checking.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Upvote 0

As others pointed out, I would contact the SC (you can do it in the app if not other option) and make sure they are aware of it that it is not your fault and get confirmation. Also take screen shots in case the conversation disappears (like if the appointment gets cancelled). I hope you had screenshots or some record of the original mobile service request that documents time the request was submitted and the issues.

Upvote 0
I had an issue with an intermittent failure of my charge port door, and by the time I got it in for replacement, I was over 50,000 miles, but it was covered under warranty, no questions asked. I've found that Tesla service is very easy to work with and more than accommodating. I do tend to take a polite and professional tone with them though. I've witnessed other owners being less than polite with the service reps in the past, and I doubt they had great success arguing their position.

Upvote 0
I had an issue with an intermittent failure of my charge port door, and by the time I got it in for replacement, I was over 50,000 miles, but it was covered under warranty, no questions asked. I've found that Tesla service is very easy to work with and more than accommodating. I do tend to take a polite and professional tone with them though. I've witnessed other owners being less than polite with the service reps in the past, and I doubt they had great success arguing their position.
How the SC decides to cover or not cover things also seems to vary widely with different SCs... There seems to be no real standard.

Upvote 0
In my experience, yes.
Screenshot.jpg

Upvote 0
I found this thread and wanted to add that I just submitted a new service request at 49,990 milles and was given a zero cost approval as covered under basic warranty. I did take a video and screenshots of my car's mileage and the issue (Driver window making loud bangs when rolling up and down) if there was any question as the appointment is in a few days and I'll be way over.

Upvote 0