Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Scheduling Problems?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see the 'resource stretched incredibly thin' as a temporary issue. I've had to scale an operation when things took off. We KNEW it was coming, but we couldn't just start hiring (ie spending very scarce budget) until we knew it really was happening -- and then the people you need to do the hiring are also the people you need doing the increased work. And we all know how hard it is to find really good people.

With time this stuff gets sorted out. In the meantime, much of Tesla IS working 24/7. I pinged some people on this over a weekend and heard back on a Sunday night from every single person. FYI - Fremont also responded, saying that if MP didn't have bandwidth, they'd arrange for transport of the car over to their facility (addressing GG's concern). And I know that's true - last October, I had my Roadster over at MP for service. I was going to Get Amped tour in Fremont & instead of expecting me to pick up my car in MP, they brought it over to Fremont for me.

The service guys that I've worked with are some of the best in the business, with a huge customer focus.

I'm calling the Rockville servoce center as I type this. This is my third attempt to reach the Rockville service center. The phone has been ringing for 4 minutes and 13 seconds so far. No answer. No VM. This is not a good sign. Going to call the DC sales office. I can understand that they may be busy. But they should have VM answering the call then.

Called the DC sales store and they gave me a different phone number to call. The number they gave me was a Google Voice number (area code 240) that goes to a ell phone. Called and a person answered, telling me that the official 301 phone number is having problems (Rockville service center opened on december 28). Person was friendly and helpful. He invited me to visit the service center, which I just did. There are at least 3 people working there (probably more). It is a large area conveniently located (for me) in rockville, MD. They had the DC demo car for service (the white performance model), a black Model S that was being prepped for delivery, a black performance S being prepped for delivery, and a pearl white with a tan interior that was being prepped for delivery. The phone problems appear to be a ramp up issue that they hope to have resolved shortly.

No problems for me getting a service appointment scheduled at the LA service center. My DS initially contacted the center on my behalf, primary since my satellite radio antenna was not working after being activated by SiriusXM and since my front license plate holder was not installed as I received a direct delivery of my MS. (I asked them to address a few other minor issues while I was there today.) Overall, I have been very impressed by the entire Tesla team which has been extremely responsive to my requests both pre and post delivery!

I see the 'resource stretched incredibly thin' as a temporary issue. I've had to scale an operation when things took off. We KNEW it was coming, but we couldn't just start hiring (ie spending very scarce budget) until we knew it really was happening -- and then the people you need to do the hiring are also the people you need doing the increased work. And we all know how hard it is to find really good people. ...

I worked in personnel placement for years, with considerable success. It occurs to me that one could do "conditional" interviewing in advance. Going the ad route, "We may be on the verge of considerable expansion. We then would have great jobs available, but be too busy to interview! Wanna talk?"

There are lots of great candidates very open to challenge, but "not really looking."

Has anyone taken delivery in an area far removed from a service center? If you could share your experiences or PM me, that would be much appreciated. I'm awaiting delivery in the next couple of weeks and my nearest service center (Chicago) is currently an 8-9 hour drive away. A closer one (St. Louis--about 4 hours) will be on line in March. I've noticed a fair number of posts relating quick drive by service experiences for minor issues, which I will not be able to enjoy. How much need is there currently for a manual/hands-on service experience (as opposed to having a tech remote into the car)?

Look at the TX threads here. All of them are direct delivery from a transport company.

Then go through the DS presentation here and here (Cinergi's videos) and you'll be up to speed.

Thanks Jerry. I was looking more for experiences dealing with some of the minor nuisances on or shortly after delivery (e.g. Items due, HVAC noise, minor body damage/scuffs/blemishes, anything that requires hands on attention by Tesla, etc.). How does Tesla manage these issues without a relatively close service center? I can't imagine a Ranger making a trip for any of these issues. It wouldn't be cost-effective. In sum, what has been Tesla's response and response time? I just want to tailor my expectations appropriately.

I was looking more for experiences dealing with some of the minor nuisances on or shortly after delivery (e.g. Items due, HVAC noise, minor body damage/scuffs/blemishes, anything that requires hands on attention by Tesla, etc.).

The owner's delivery stories thread has a lot of these kinds of things.

How does Tesla manage these issues without a relatively close service center?

In some cases they can fix the problem over the air (the technicians actually remotely control the car to do the fix). In others they send a Ranger. Some problems are resolved with software upgrades.

I can't imagine a Ranger making a trip for any of these issues. It wouldn't be cost-effective. In sum, what has been Tesla's response and response time?

It's been pretty good. From hours to a few days. I don't have my Model S yet, so it's just what I've read from those that do.

I think they do make a run.

The bet they are making is that in time, the product will come out of the factory with no due bill items and everything working. In the meantime, they're accepting the cost of re-work in exchange for being able to push some product out the door.

Also, if you have to leave your car at service do they give you a loaner or rental?

Rangers can't do alignments or starshields :)

I have to bring my car into the new PA service center to get the starshield installed. Rep said it would take about 3 hours, but they don't currently have loaners available. Hoping someone there can at least drive us to the mall so we're not sitting around the service center for that long. It's too far of a drive to have someone drop us off and come back for it (would spend almost as long in the car).

Hey, These guys ROCK! I had my first ranger visit last night. There was no mention of any charge BTW. They know their product, they work very long hours and are very dedicated to Tesla and keeping the owners happy. Mine came last night after already working a 12 hour day, driving for 4 and happily worked through each of the issues with my car. We did not finish until late in the evening. I am sooo impressed with the level of service from these guys.

I am beginning to get frustrated with Tesla service, I have heard over and over that their service is second to none but what I am experiencing certainly doesn't reflect that.....My panoramic roof quit opening fully about a week after getting the car. I had the "sticky" pano issue that required the multi-tap to open fully. Then it quit working and will only open to 18% no matter what I do. To me it seems clear that there is some mechanical problem.

The real issue I have is the poor response from Tesla Service. Being in Texas I have to call CA to try and get something worked out for service. So I called on Monday told them about the issue and was sent an email by the Houston service manager telling me that an upcoming firmware release should fix the issue and to try and help the pano roof open. Being that I have mechanical issues I have sent emails and left message without any response which is very frustrating.

How have other people's experience been when trying to get service? Especially interested in Texas experiences.