Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Strike Again - Appointment cancelled with zero notice.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Tesla service doing what they do best. Run and hide. Appointment for on-site set at least 2 weeks out. I had to update some info in it, as my XM AGAIN doesn't work. (So thats how I found out). Been an issue for MONTHS. going to document every. single. outage. Usually I lament babysitting outside my full time job, but it's become obvious the lack of any integrity whatsoever leaves me with no choice.

Appointment scheduled for 1/17/22 - Canceled with no notice. No text. No Email, nothing, just hiding from some chumps who could not care less.

Next appointment: Lancaster 1/20/22 - We shall see if they bother or I get "it's a firmware thing" for the 20th time.

I've let this go for months now. No more. Every day gets a ticket until this is fixed. When I get in my car, I have no XM option. When XM does work, often neither the steering wheel button or on screen will change channels. If you reboot it 20x sometimes it works again, but then the next button doesn't change favorites, it changes channels. well, no more. I'm done. I'm past my limit.

Stay tuned for the chonicals of the company I used to love and now hate due solely to such awful, awful service.

If anyone wants my full review of v11, just let me know. I don't know if anyone likes hearing a good rant that points out valid issues, so I'm not putting the time into it, if no one watches lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlatSix911
Tesla service doing what they do best. Run and hide. Appointment for on-site set at least 2 weeks out. I had to update some info in it, as my XM AGAIN doesn't work. (So thats how I found out). Been an issue for MONTHS. going to document every. single. outage. Usually I lament babysitting outside my full time job, but it's become obvious the lack of any integrity whatsoever leaves me with no choice.

Appointment scheduled for 1/17/22 - Canceled with no notice. No text. No Email, nothing, just hiding from some chumps who could not care less.

Next appointment: Lancaster 1/20/22 - We shall see if they bother or I get "it's a firmware thing" for the 20th time.

I've let this go for months now. No more. Every day gets a ticket until this is fixed. When I get in my car, I have no XM option. When XM does work, often neither the steering wheel button or on screen will change channels. If you reboot it 20x sometimes it works again, but then the next button doesn't change favorites, it changes channels. well, no more. I'm done. I'm past my limit.

Stay tuned for the chonicals of the company I used to love and now hate due solely to such awful, awful service.

If anyone wants my full review of v11, just let me know. I don't know if anyone likes hearing a good rant that points out valid issues, so I'm not putting the time into it, if no one watches lol.

I've had an appointment scheduled for weeks, canceled the day before and pushed out two weeks, to repair a failed sensor preventing my drivers side FWD from opening. Apparently for lack of parts. Fortunately, I no longer have kids at home, so I can live with no back seat access for a while. But if I had little feet to deal with, it would be quite a big deal.

Remember all comms with them regarding service, take place through the app. If you do not have notifications turned on for the Tesla app, you will only see their messages if you go look for them.

In their defense though, given all the logistical and general supply chain problems these days I am not that surprised. Tesla nearly doubled the number of cars delivered in 2021 to just shy of a million, in a single year! Did they double the the number of service centers, or technicians? Not even close (in my area anyway). Given their incredible success, I try to be as flexible as possible and not be a thorn in their side.

I am not a Sirius/XM user. I have had it in the past, when I could get it for free. So I am just waiting for their next "try it for 3 months free" offer. IMO, It is not worth paying anything for it. But I do agree the V11 Media interface is a hot mess. I really doubt Service is going to help you with that.

Hopefully you will get your radio fixed soon.

It is unfortunate that Tesla hasn’t figured out the service side and seems inconsistent from location to location with more landing on subpar. Also, this doesn’t seem like an area that Tesla is striving to perfect. Although other manufacturers aren’t perfect, having a live person and we’ll equipped staff helps. I’ve contemplated selling the Tesla and buying in another few years when Tesla service improves or when Electrified Garages (rich rebuilds) franchises across the country.

XM radio in V11 is a total mess (and it was plenty buggy before). Now it's just broken: you select one channel and it begins playing a different one!? How is that even usable?

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that tesla is using a static transponder map.

In other words ... There's a file somewhere in the Model X that assigns the channel map.

"Transponder 1, frequency 1", name="Pop2k", logo=pop2k.jpg
"Transponder 1, frequency 2", name="Coffee House", logo=coffee.jpg

so on and so forth ...

The problem is, when SiriusXM makes changes, that map is now out of date.

Most SXM radios download the channel map over-the-air. I suspect Tesla isn't doing so, and so when SXM changes frequency allocations, we don't get the update until someone at Tesla changes the channel map and it gets pushed to us as part of a firmware update package.

It's not a good system. Not sure why they're not using the OTA map updates but it's silly.

It is unfortunate that Tesla hasn’t figured out the service side and seems inconsistent from location to location with more landing on subpar. Also, this doesn’t seem like an area that Tesla is striving to perfect. Although other manufacturers aren’t perfect, having a live person and we’ll equipped staff helps. I’ve contemplated selling the Tesla and buying in another few years when Tesla service improves or when Electrified Garages (rich rebuilds) franchises across the country.
Oh, I disagree completely. Tesla is constantly changing things around to try to improve things with limited resources. The tech on a recent mobile service visit, told me they are now prioritizing service based upon the problem and location of the customer. The problem they are still working on, is their automated dispatch does not deal with the location of the tech. Recently the mobile service tech called me, apologized and asked me if he could move me to the end of the day, because he was 50 miles out of town.

I mean if you can't find folks to make your chicken sandwich or wipe down your car at the carwash, I can't imagine the difficulty finding folks to actually WORK on your car.

Unlike traditional dealer service, where they want to see you because it pays the bills. Tesla OTOH, is motivated to keep you away from ever needing service. A completely different paradigm (refreshingly good IMO). My 2018 X, has required somewhat more service than I expected. But my 2019 Model 3 has never been in for service.

• Love
Reactions: Gumball and jboy210
Fair points there. I actually think Tesla *is* trying to reduce the aggravation factor. As cheaply as possible, I'm sure, but they aren't trying to discourage service center visits by making customers so angry at them it might hurt other areas of the business more than it improves profitability in this area.

Most SXM radios download the channel map over-the-air. I suspect Tesla isn't

The problem is, when SiriusXM makes changes, that map is now out of date.

Ok, that sounds entirely plausible, but it only broke on v11 so even if that is all true something else is at play here as well.

Fair points there

Ok, that sounds entirely plausible, but it only broke on v11 so even if that is all true something else is at play here as well.

There's actually some coincidental timing. Sirius made a bunch of lineup changes right around the same time V11 rolled out.

Are you trying to listen to 60s on 6? That's now 73. 50s on 5 is now 72.

Other channel changes include: “The Pulse” (from 15 to 5); “The Coffee House” (from 14 to 6); 102.7 KIIS-FM (from 11 to 14); “Siriusly Sinatra” (from 71 to 70); “40s Junction” (from 73 to 71); “On Broadway” (from 72 to 77); “Kidz Bop” (from 77 to 79); “NBC Sports Audio” (from 211 to 85); “Caliente” (from 158 to 151); CBS Sports Radio (from 206 to 158); and SportsGrid (from 204 to 159).

So if any of those are what you're trying to listen to, it's because Tesla isn't keeping up with SXM's changes.

If it's channels other than those, I have no idea what to tell ya ;-)

Oh, I disagree completely. Tesla is constantly changing things around to try to improve things with limited resources. The tech on a recent mobile service visit, told me they are now prioritizing service based upon the problem and location of the customer. The problem they are still working on, is their automated dispatch does not deal with the location of the tech. Recently the mobile service tech called me, apologized and asked me if he could move me to the end of the day, because he was 50 miles out of town.

I mean if you can't find folks to make your chicken sandwich or wipe down your car at the carwash, I can't imagine the difficulty finding folks to actually WORK on your car.

Unlike traditional dealer service, where they want to see you because it pays the bills. Tesla OTOH, is motivated to keep you away from ever needing service. A completely different paradigm (refreshingly good IMO). My 2018 X, has required somewhat more service than I expected. But my 2019 Model 3 has never been in for service.
Well said.

I was at Starbucks this morning and they had a long line (20+ cars) at the drive-thru. I noticed several people see this, park, and walk up to the doors to only find them locked. Each of them walked back to their cars in disgust. A couple of cars spun their tires leaving. Most just got in line and were probably fuming. We all need to take a breath and realize companies are doing the best they can.

FWIW, the Starbucks lobby is only open for walk-ins from 9 AM to 2 PM. Drive-thru is open 6 AM-6 PM. This location used to be open for drive-thru and walk-in from 6 AM to 9 PM. I talked to the manager and she said they have lost almost 50% of their staff.

There's actually some coincidental timing. Sirius made a bunch of lineup changes right around the same time V11 rolled out.

So if any of those are what you're trying to listen to, it's because Tesla isn't keeping up with SXM's changes.

Yes! It was exactly some of those channels that inspired my original remarks. I just hadn't seen any threads where people on v10 also saw this kind of reshuffling. But it sounds like this was never about v11.

I guess my original point was XM was and still is a mess. Not sure I'd open a new service ticket every day until it's fixed, but anyway, yeah, music generally never was the strong point of the UI.

In fact since we're ranting generally, can i just say i don't really listen to music that much in cars: it has always bothered me that some amount of music controls are ALWAYS visible every time you start the car. Yes I know how to swipe down but I shouldn't have to do this every time.

I do appreciate the mobile service, that’s an advantage. I have a 2016 X, so the additional issues and exposure to service definitely makes an impression different than those not having to deal with service. I still have the Cybertruck on order, so that may be a good departure from old to new and will hopefully decrease the need for service visits. I really enjoy the X, when it’s not being serviced.

Yes! It was exactly some of those channels that inspired my original remarks. I just hadn't seen any threads where people on v10 also saw this kind of reshuffling. But it sounds like this was never about v11.

I guess my original point was XM was and still is a mess. Not sure I'd open a new service ticket every day until it's fixed, but anyway, yeah, music generally never was the strong point of the UI.

In fact since we're ranting generally, can i just say i don't really listen to music that much in cars: it has always bothered me that some amount of music controls are ALWAYS visible every time you start the car. Yes I know how to swipe down but I shouldn't have to do this every time.
Well, at least there's some consistency to how it's broken. :)

The thing that really irks me is that the UI has the potential to be outstanding. It really does - it's fluid, it's fast, controls are responsive.... it's just ... a mess. It fails at the simple and excels at the difficult. The combination of "Recents & Favorites" drives me absolutely batty. Insanely batty.

Now, for XM ....

Channel lineup mapping has been part of the SiriusXM experience since the first satellites launched in 2001. It's built into their protocol.

My suspicion - and again, I have absolutely zero to base it on - is that with the changes being made in V11, we're going to see an "App Store" of sorts soon. And SiriusXM streaming is going to be one of those apps.

My guess is that the current SiriusXM "app" (remember, this is "new" as of last year-ish) is written such that the channel maps come in via the LTE connection, instead of via the satellite tuner. But that functionality isn't turned on yet, because the Tesla App Store (or whatever it's going to be) isn't up yet.

So once they turn on the "App Store", and allow SiriusXM to be a streaming app instead of a satellite tuner, that we'll see the channel maps update correctly.

Just a guess - I could be completely, way off base here. It's just as possible the SXM app was an intern project, and they went back to school last September!

• Funny
Reactions: Harvey Danger
You have to wonder how long SirusXM will be around. The stock price is low and they are facing fierce competition from internet-based services like Spotify. And Space X says they are looking at mobile internet. If they do I bet future Tesla vehicles would be a likely early customer.

You have to wonder how long SirusXM will be around. The stock price is low and they are facing fierce competition from internet-based services like Spotify. And Space X says they are looking at mobile internet. If they do I bet future Tesla vehicles would be a likely early customer.

I'm not concerned about stock prices. TSLA was low at one point, too. AAPL, and plenty of others.

Honestly I much, much prefer SiriusXM's human curated format to Spotify's "hope you like what the algorithm thinks" form of music.

Reactions: croman
I bought my '19 X back in November. When I was trying to set up my favorites back then, the channels were already messed up. This was back on v10.4 or something.

My guess is that the current SiriusXM "app" (remember, this is "new" as of last year-ish) is written such that the channel maps come in via the LTE connection, instead of via the satellite tuner.
That makes sense -- I am unable to switch to SXM while in a no LTE service dead zone. So even though music comes from the satellite, it needs LTE to make it all work. That also makes sense why doing a "refresh" isn't fixing the lineup.

Honestly I much, much prefer SiriusXM's human curated format to Spotify's "hope you like what the algorithm thinks" form of music.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've been trying out Spotify and Tidal streaming... and so far am not impressed with playlist generation. I also rather like DJ banter and interviews with artists.

XM certainly proved one thing, people absolutely don't care about low bitrate audio. Some of those channels get so little bandwidth its criminal.
I think people do care... but most are not audiophiles, so they're OK with settling for something less than perfect. It also highly depends on the receiving system. I've had cars where it's been abysmal. And I've had cars where it's been perfectly acceptable for normal listening volumes. My previous vehicle, a Mercedes-Benz GLE (with Harmon-Kardon), the SXM had very good quality. The X stereo appears to be a slight step down from that.

Have to travel almost 2 hours for service, no loaners.

XM seems to work now - (Other than v11 is complete $hit, and favorites don't work right).

Going on 1 day of working, so I 100% guarantee they will be unable to 'find anything wrong' 'could not replicate'. and will send me on my way, wasting at least 4 hours of my time.

Place your bets now! All wagers must be placed before noon EST.

I think people do care... but most are not audiophiles, so they're OK with settling for something less than perfect. It also highly depends on the receiving system. I've had cars where it's been abysmal. And I've had cars where it's been perfectly acceptable for normal listening volumes. My previous vehicle, a Mercedes-Benz GLE (with Harmon-Kardon), the SXM had very good quality. The X stereo appears to be a slight step down from that.
Agree. I got into XM in the 80s to have music in my airplane. Sure it was tinny. But it did not fade like FM. But now I cannot listen to it because of the low quality. Especially compared to Spotify on my phone or at home where my subscription gives high bitrates. Even podcasts sound good on Spotify.

Update: The XM Favorites worked after the Service Center did a 'deep reset'? (no idea since the guy was lying his ass off on how most of this works). But it did work correctly.

Now, once again 2022.4 has broken it.

See this time mark for what's occurring.

And once again Tesla says 'it will be fixed' in the "future". FIX IT NOW. YOU BROKE IT.

Anyone had success with small claims? or how do you start the Arbitration process? They broke it, it was broken for MONTHS.
I'm done waiting patiently. I'll open a ticket daily if I have to and camp outside the service center with signs on the car.