Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service - Strikes again!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Well, my wife's 3 always does a THUNK so loud while driving we thought we hit something.
Seems to happen a lot. While we were told it has "no impact", it's not really befitting a rather expensive car.
Found the service bulletin and it without question applies.

Wife sets up an appointment - or rather - tries to.

Tesla: "Standard passive aggressive we are better than you, we already have your money, kindly blow it out your ass response".

"We are closing this ticket because we don't believe in customer service and already have your money"

She texted back, I'm sure it will either get no response or something else passive aggressive in 3-4 days.
Then we have to open another ticket and go through this again.
If it happens again, I'll stop by in person as it's the only way to find a human.

] It's 2 parts and 1/4 hr labor and they need to fix it. We are both tired of the noise. We are both tired of Tesla service. I've told dozens of people to stay away until they get back to the service of 2015-2018.

Real shame. Every single interaction with them makes my blood boil.

Can we get a new sub-forum for just "service" ?

Trying to follow what happened. So you set up an appointment in the app, the appointment happened and you took it to the SC but they said the car is acting as designed and sent you on your way? Or they never accepted the service appointment in the first place?

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I've had the exact opposite experience. Tesla Service has never given me the runaround for warranty issues (including the battery breather update that you're trying to get done) unlike when I had Ford, Jeep, Audi, VW, Honda. I think you should try and grab a recording of the noise if you can and reference the TSB when you setup another ticket. I've done that for the majority of my appointments and that way they can't be lazy by saying the issue couldn't be duplicated or doesn't exist. Alternatively, is there another service center within a reasonable distance that you could try?

Trying to follow what happened. So you set up an appointment in the app, the appointment happened and you took it to the SC but they said the car is acting as designed and sent you on your way? Or they never accepted the service appointment in the first place?
The appointment was set for remote. They have not looked at the car. They said it's "normal" and to pound sand and they are canceling the appointment. 100% not satified. I pretty much hate tesla at this point. 100% because of service.

I've had the exact opposite experience. Tesla Service has never given me the runaround for warranty issues (including the battery breather update that you're trying to get done) unlike when I had Ford, Jeep, Audi, VW, Honda. I think you should try and grab a recording of the noise if you can and reference the TSB when you setup another ticket. I've done that for the majority of my appointments and that way they can't be lazy by saying the issue couldn't be duplicated or doesn't exist. Alternatively, is there another service center within a reasonable distance that you could try?

Appointment was set through the app - if you can find a way to call/contact a specific location, you have more information than I do. I can say without a doubt, I loathe the Lancaster, PA service center. Usually Owings Mills was much more reasonable.

I'm not asking for a free car, a $10,000 fix. Just fix the very thing there's a service bulletin for. Tesla service went from incredible/amazing from 2015-2018. To complete $hit. I love the cars. But how long can this continue? You have to fight them tooth and nail every time anything happens. It causes me an inordinate amount of stress.
Just search for my thread on them trying to charge me for an alignment for a car that was delivered with a crooked steering wheel new!

The appointment was deleted by tesla. So sick of this passive aggressive crap. creating another one now!

Last edited:
Well, my wife's 3 always does a THUNK so loud while driving we thought we hit something.
Seems to happen a lot. While we were told it has "no impact", it's not really befitting a rather expensive car.
Found the service bulletin and it without question applies.

Wife sets up an appointment - or rather - tries to.

Tesla: "Standard passive aggressive we are better than you, we already have your money, kindly blow it out your ass response".

"We are closing this ticket because we don't believe in customer service and already have your money"

She texted back, I'm sure it will either get no response or something else passive aggressive in 3-4 days.
Then we have to open another ticket and go through this again.
If it happens again, I'll stop by in person as it's the only way to find a human.

] It's 2 parts and 1/4 hr labor and they need to fix it. We are both tired of the noise. We are both tired of Tesla service. I've told dozens of people to stay away until they get back to the service of 2015-2018.

Real shame. Every single interaction with them makes my blood boil.

Can we get a new sub-forum for just "service" ?

Wow ... so the noise is coming from the battery case or valve flexing/popping due to air pressure difference?

Does it sound like the main HV battery contactors closing? I remember hearing sounds like the main HV battery contactors closing but not as loud while the car is moving and just thought it's some other contactors. Have not paid much attention to it since it doesn't happen that often and the car seems fine otherwise.

Appointment was set through the app - if you can find a way to call/contact a specific location, you have more information than I do. I can say without a doubt, I loathe the Lancaster, PA service center. Usually Owings Mills was much more reasonable.

I'm not asking for a free car, a $10,000 fix. Just fix the very thing there's a service bulletin for. Tesla service went from incredibe/amazing from 2015-2018. To complete $hit. I love the cars. But how long can this continue? You have to fight them tooth and nail every time anything happens. It causes me an inordinate amount of stress.
When you create an appointment through the app, it should give you the option to pick from one of the service centers within say a hundred mile radius. Google Maps also has the phone numbers of the locations you mentioned, so you can try calling them directly. I agree with you 100% that having to argue with Service (regardless of manufacturer) to fix a problem that you know exists and a TSB exists for is extremely frustrating.

Wow ... so the noise is coming from the battery case or valve flexing/popping due to air pressure difference?

Does it sound like the main HV battery contactors closing? I remember hearing sounds like the main HV battery contactors closing but not as loud while the car is moving and just thought it's some other contactors. Have not paid much attention to it since it doesn't happen that often and the car seems fine otherwise.
That is correct, we noticed this since new a few years ago. Never put it together until I read the TSB. It's not the contractors. It's while driving we notice it the most. It's so loud, and you actually feel it in the car. Each time it occurs, we look at each other thinking the driver (usually me) hit something like a small animal or similar. It seemed so random at first, but when I read the TSB, it hit me. Hills. Air pressure. It all makes sense now. Often spirited driving through mountains would bring out the issue. Now it all makes sense... it's like chasing a problem for years, then the answer just slaps you in the face... except that Tesla can't be bothered...

Thanks for listening to me rant. I don't think I'm asking too much, or that hard to please. If they just took the appointment, fixed the car in an hour or so, and sent us on our way, we'd be happy/just fine.

Right now, the ticket is with Lancaster PA, I didn't know you could select. I avoid service whenever possible. She put in the ticket w/Lancaster again. I like how the tesla community is 100x more supportive than actual tesla...

I had my M3 in for FSD computer upgrade service and ask them to replace my breathers per the OP's referenced SB.
They said they replace two breathers per the Service report. I then drove over 9K miles cross country this winter, and it seems that it may have reduced the frequency of the "Thump" occurrences, but not eliminated them.
The "Thump" seems to occur primarily in colder months, with Supercharging, and with altitude changes like when coming down a mountain pass.

In the Spring, Summer, and early Fall I don't often experience it.
Good Luck

• Informative
Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
The appointment was set for remote. They have not looked at the car. They said it's "normal" and to pound sand and they are canceling the appointment. 100% not satified. I pretty much hate tesla at this point. 100% because of service.

Yeah that's pretty crappy. I've never had any MFG refuse to fix something that there was an ACTIVE TSB for, unless that TSB said there was no fix and they were working on a solution. If the company is acknowledging a problem with a known solution then your local service center is just garbage. I'm not sure if Tesla has corporate people you can call for this like the other Big Three do but I bet tweeting Tesla about it would force their attention.

Yeah that's pretty crappy. I've never had any MFG refuse to fix something that there was an ACTIVE TSB for, unless that TSB said there was no fix and they were working on a solution. If the company is acknowledging a problem with a known solution then your local service center is just garbage. I'm not sure if Tesla has corporate people you can call for this like the other Big Three do but I bet tweeting Tesla about it would force their attention.

They will if the vin / vin range the TSB is for does not include the vin of your vehicle.

My 2020 does it too, and I've heard that it will still do it after the tsb replacement. It's thermal expansion, vents etc. It's working as designed as far as I know. It's just annoying, but no worse than an ICE exhaust, starter etc. Once you know it's normal, you forget about it.

My 2020 does it too, and I've heard that it will still do it after the tsb replacement. It's thermal expansion, vents etc. It's working as designed as far as I know. It's just annoying, but no worse than an ICE exhaust, starter etc. Once you know it's normal, you forget about it.

Your are saying Tesla designed the car to make the sound?

I have had other EV's and they make the sound.

Noisy by design? No, that's not what I mean. I think they designed the battery pack with knowledge that temperature would change, pressures between inside and outside would vary, and vents or something like that were necessary. I'm saying the vents do their job. I would welcome a solution that doesn't make noise but I don't know that it exists.