TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Service: Things are improving

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Sir Guacamolaf, Sep 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

I've bitched and moaned about poor service in the past. So it's fair to also report when they actually improve things.
    This is about the Rockville service center.

Couple of months ago, I noticed a creaking sound from the front right of the car. Note that I was being super picky. The non-Tesla loaner I got had all sorts of noises LOL.

Also, the right passenger door handle was making a louder than usual noise. Again, I am being very picky. I have a very good ear for music, equal to trained musician. So my hearing is particularly sensitive. Hardly anyone could actually notice the difference in the door handle.

So, I emailed Tesla. They gave me an appointment .... 2 days out. Much better than the weeks and months I usually had to wait. I went in, and my bad luck .. it was raining like crap that day. So we couldn't hear anything.

Anyway, I ignored things, got busy was travelling (work y'know). But Tesla kept bugging me. So, .. I took it in again.
    We were able to verify the sounds. Great! Again the appointment was tomorrow. .. much better than the usual weeks out.

Car drop off experience
    I showed up 15 mins early. This is what years of military regimen will do to you.
    There was a guy outside with a slate, and asked me if I was "Ronald" .. I was like nope, and ..I'm 15 mins early.
    He runs inside, gets someone within 2 mins (I was timing). They processed me in, went for a test drive.
    Gave me a loaner. They were out of Tesla's so they gave me a humongous SUV. :-/ .. seriously, how many of you have gotten a rental house on wheels in return of your car. .. 15 mins later, I was on my way back home.

Tracking and updates
    All through the day at change events, I was getting text messages with exactly what they are doing to the car, and how long it'll take. They inform me that they'll need to keep the car overnight. Ok cool.

Next day afternoon
    I get a text message - everything is done, come over. So I go there.
    Pickup - zero issues.
    Car - nicely cleaned, they went the extra mile.
    They replaced the front sway bar link, ... sounds like a big deal .. but I think most other car dealers would just delay it until it broke to deal with out of warranty.
    Door handle - mine wasn't broken yet .. but they replaced the motor, the same door handle, but new motor. I wasn't dreaming things, the motor was going funky.

Few other things I noticed
    Damn they are busy, very busy. Every bay was full, and I think 10+ mechanics working hard on a Friday evening.
    They had clocks on every bay, they are measuring literally how long each car stays in the bay.
    When I was dropping off my car, a lady (who I assume was waiting on her car), went to get coffee, and before she could even make coffee, the issue was already fixed - in and out zippy fast. They have this concept called "Fast lane" where they fix small issues almost immediately.
    Same staff, just felt lesser stressed. They were working hard, but when they are less stressed, it's a better atmosphere.

Summary
    I've put Tesla on a watch list, I want them to improve the service situation and repair situation.
    The service situation, I am happy to report that has much much much improved. Lets hope it stays that way.
    Repairs - I've never had to deal with (touch wood). But if they are able to improve that, .. then yes I'll probably buy another Tesla. I might even get the nicest one they have. Then you'll be so jealous. LOL.

• Informative x 11
    • Like x 9
    • Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Sounds like they are on the right path... have to see how Tyson’s does when (if) I have to visit. :D

• Like x 1
  3. Camera-Cruiser

Camera-Cruiser Fully Charged

Yup. Service is getting much better. I have been getting some things done same day. It's become very obvious that someone with experience created a customer forward service flowchart and has implemented it. I imagine that service managers will be looking for a new job if they don't follow it.

All good news.

4. boaterva

We had read about the fast lane idea. Glad to see it’s already in place. I’d never seen that at an ICE dealer. Anything takes 4 hours there.

5. miken79

miken79 Member

I still can't get that SC to call me back. The only way I can get an appointment is to show up and ask for one. Then I get crazy looks for asking for an appointment and told I could call.

Every asked them to order a part for you?

6. boaterva

Did you ask them how to call to get one? Maybe call the number in front of them and see what happens? :D

7. Sir Guacamolaf

@miken79 try emailing them. Also whenever I call them, and press 2 for service, they seem to answer. When was the last time you called?

8. appleguru

appleguru Member

I’ve had a service experience that leaves a LOT to be desired so far.

My experience with both the Dedham and Watertown MA service centers is that their focus seems to be more on getting cars in and out and less on actually addressing the customer’s issues.

I’ve had several appointments where many of the issues I took the car in to have fixed for were ignored or glossed over, and the car was returned to me at the end of the day with those issues still present without so much as a phone call requesting more information from me.

I’m left to pick up the car (still with outstanding issues), and have to schedule another appointment to actually have the issues addressed.

I’ve still never actually taken the car on a drive with a technician to show them the issues first hand, despite that being exactly what the SA suggested be done on several occasions when I call back in for an appointment.

I have also been waiting several weeks now for parts that still haven’t arrived.

I do feel like the attention my car has been getting has increased with recent visits (with some long standing issues like my chattering wipers *finally* being resolved) but the fact remains that I still have several issues that I brought up when I first picked up the car 6 months ago that still have not been addressed (not for lack of trying on my part).

Still hoping for improvements from my local SCs, to tesla’s parts supply chain, and my issues being resolved once and for all.

9. vdiv

vdiv Chief Grump

Thanks for complaining and for being meticulous then :) This means being the squeaky wheel works, and it also means that you have to keep doing it to maintain the service level ;)

I can concur, just made an in-person appointment at Tyco for this Wednesday for a non-working washer fluid pump (And what else? They expect a long laundry list, only gave them the existing suspension and steering noises). They are busy to the gills with cars everywhere. Opening the Owings Mills and Richmond centers has seemingly not alleviated the load, but has maybe allowed them to catch up, there are just so many new cars around.

10. boaterva

Stupid question from a new car owner... how do you email *your* SC directly? I have their phone number, of course (never had to use it for service (yet)....).

And, yes, for the new cars... my delivery last weekend was part of about four at the same exact time (some were catch-ups from the transpo disaster..., that's another story).

11. Max*

Max* Banned

Are you Tysons or Rockville?

Tysons is Tysons_Service @ tesla.com
    I dunno about Rockville, but I would probably try Rockville_Service

• Informative x 1
  12. boaterva

NoVa, so Tysons, thanks! You'd think they would tell you stuff like that, probably don't want to encourage us.. :D

13. Max*

Max* Banned

Once you email the "general" Tesla service email, they'll route you to your local service center, and when someone from the service center replies they usually put the local service centers email in the CC field (I guess for record keeping?). They don't hide it at all.

Actually, they send their invoices from Tysons_Service @ teslamotors.com. So I guess both/either work..?

14. vdiv

vdiv Chief Grump

I prefer to bug them in person, then by phone. Email does not communicate the urgency nor the importance sufficiently well and it is easy to get de-prioritized or even forgotten rather quickly as they are swamped.

15. Max*

Max* Banned

Are you talking about Tysons or in general? I disagree if it's about Tysons, they are VERY good with email, they always ask me relevant questions to determine schedule and get back to me quickly. Never had an email problem with them.

16. vdiv

vdiv Chief Grump

Good for you! I am talking in general about communication though I have only used Tyco and I prefer the ability to interact with them in real time. Indeed they inquire about and are accommodating to your preference.

• Like x 1
  17. scottm

scottm Active Member

I hope people remember to reward good behavior - bring in a box of donuts when you've gotten great experience - get a box of 20 or whatever, enough to feed all staff on shift, and tell them its for the great service. Keep these people happy and proud to be doing great work.

• Like x 1
  18. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Member

Nothing new. Jeep dealer near me has one for oil changes, tire rot, minor issues or recalls. Just drive up, always been on the road again within an hour.
    Only bad times to go are before travel holidays.

19. Sir Guacamolaf

Serious question!
    Is this considered "ok behavior"?

On one hand, yes I'm being nice to the everyone at the service center. Except the diabetes part.
    But on the other, I'm setting a level for all other Tesla owners. Much like the tipping culture (which is utter nonsense).

There has to be something we can do that helps the people there, without literally buying stuff for them, no matter how small.

20. dragoljub

dragoljub Member

I agree that it’s inpeoving. Early 2017 they had s bunch of badly trained techs and errors and mistakes were made to damage cars in the process of fixing. I hope they continue to regain trust so I don’t avoid going in for issues thinking I’m risking even more damage.