Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service: What can be done?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your first sentence is terrible and has nothing to do with this thread. It's odd that you projected that onto me - makes me wonder why.

Things do get earned, which is the whole point of this. People work very hard to earn their money, and when they decide to spend a good chunk of it on a car, they want to make sure that car is worth it. That is why they're so passionate about it being as they expected. You literally just proved your own point.

Just replying to your post =)

Sorry to burst your bubble but the real world is a harsh place. Not everyone is born with tons of money, most people work their life for it and that's how people learn not to take things for granted nor to be entitle just because you think you deserve something.

People can be proud of buying a Tesla but that doesn't explain that they need to complain to any little detail nor to stretch their finances just because they want that exciting in their life... if you can't afford it, why bother?

As someone mentioned above, does anyone check their vehicles when buying a Toyota or something like that? I surely never did when buying my MBZs.
What does stretching your finances have anything to do with this conversation? Again, you're projecting things onto others.

Also not sure why you keep attacking and talking about the "real world". You have no idea what I do for a living, how my life was, or how I got here.

Lastly, again, you're proving my point. People are very proud of buying their Teslas, and want to make sure it looks the part. They've built up this excitement over weeks of waiting (or in some cases years), and they go to pick up the car and it has issues. Of course they're going to be disappointed. Doesn't matter if the car is 60k or 20k.

As for your humble brag about the MBZ, I have checked every single new and used car that I've purchased to make sure it meets the condition I was told it would be. Why the hell wouldn't you? You're giving people your money, why would you be foolish with it and not make sure you're getting what you're told?

What does stretching your finances have anything to do with this conversation? Again, you're projecting things onto others.

Also not sure why you keep attacking and talking about the "real world". You have no idea what I do for a living, how my life was, or how I got here.

Lastly, again, you're proving my point. People are very proud of buying their Teslas, and want to make sure it looks the part. They've built up this excitement over weeks of waiting (or in some cases years), and they go to pick up the car and it has issues. Of course they're going to be disappointed. Doesn't matter if the car is 60k or 20k.

As for your humble brag about the MBZ, I have checked every single new and used car that I've purchased to make sure it meets the condition I was told it would be. Why the hell wouldn't you? You're giving people your money, why would you be foolish with it and not make sure you're getting what you're told?

/facepalm

Per a Bloomberg survey:

Studio_20191109_094549.png

But yet:
Studio_20191109_094401.png

Studio_20191109_094308.png

• Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Tesla service center issues are mostly due to people taking their car (and taking the service center time) on small little things that should not be relevant.

If that is what is causing the service center issues, then Tesla still has to fix the problem. Tesla has chosen to go mass market, they have to deal with making that choice.

They can address that in a couple of ways. If they wanted to provide top notch customer service they could expand service centers or (gasp) allow for franchises or some other 3rd party solution to lighten the load on the company service centers. This route takes money. More people are happy with service and continue to buy more Teslas.

The other route they could take (which it appears they are doing) is making service so painful that you only take your car in when it is broken down on the side of the road. They can accomplish that by not answering phones, discontinuing the loaner program, charging diagnostic fees for cars under warranty, and by keeping your car for several days for items that should only take a couple hours, etc. This route IS cheaper, but it has the side effect of angering everyone who visits the service center including people with legitimate issues. Then none of those people choose to by 2nd Teslas.

LESS happy about service.

Maybe there is another factor going on. I am one of those who is less happy about service even though my Model 3 is built much better than our 2015 P85D and requires many fewer trips down there. The reason for that is pretty simple: communication. I can no longer get anyone on the phone or to answer the text system or emails at my local service center. And they are not inputting the status in the app correctly, so twice now the app has said the car was done, so I drove 3 hours round trip to pick up the car, taking off work early, etc. The app status was input wrong and the car wasn’t completed yet, so I was unable to pick the car up. The 2nd time I tried and tried to confirm the car was done before making the drive to no avail, there was no way to confirm short of showing up to talk to someone.

That is only one of the many frustrating experiences I have had with service in the last year. I could go on for hours, but suffice to say service has gone sharply downhill since I bought my first S. Even if you improve initial quality, if the experience gets worse when folks have to go in, they become less happy.

As usual, the real issue is complex and many layered, which makes the solution(s) difficult, costly, and time consuming. But I’m confident that time and the market will allow big improvements.

Do many Tesla owners have unreasonable expectations about their car? Absolutely. But I think it’s safe to say other brand owners do too. The difference is other brand owners are not COMPLETELY bottlenecked into possibly using ONE service center that is not conveniently located near them. Even if you have several Tesla centers near you, contrast this to the literally dozens of specialty repair shops in your area for any other foreign or domestic brand that do work as well, if not better, than the dealer.

Tesla MUST expand their service centers dramatically if they have any intention of continuing their growth. They will also need to allow 3rd party repairs and to DRASTICALLY increase their parts supply.

Maybe there is another factor going on. I am one of those who is less happy about service even though my Model 3 is built much better than our 2015 P85D and requires many fewer trips down there. The reason for that is pretty simple: communication. I can no longer get anyone on the phone or to answer the text system or emails at my local service center. And they are not inputting the status in the app correctly, so twice now the app has said the car was done, so I drove 3 hours round trip to pick up the car, taking off work early, etc. The app status was input wrong and the car wasn’t completed yet, so I was unable to pick the car up. The 2nd time I tried and tried to confirm the car was done before making the drive to no avail, there was no way to confirm short of showing up to talk to someone.

That is only one of the many frustrating experiences I have had with service in the last year. I could go on for hours, but suffice to say service has gone sharply downhill since I bought my first S. Even if you improve initial quality, if the experience gets worse when folks have to go in, they become less happy.
I really wish people who post such experiences would name the offending service center. I do not think the problems are everywhere.

I really wish people who post such experiences would name the offending service center. I do not think the problems are everywhere.

Oh, I have posted the service centers before: Burbank and Van Nuys for me. I agree there are good SCs out there, I just don’t live near any of them. Although there is a new one up in Bakersfield, I might drive a bit farther and try that one sometime.

The elitist comments here about who has “Tesla money” are really out of keeping with what he brand is aiming for in 2019. The model 3 and Y are supposed to be cars for the masses. If it is true that Tesla buyers are obsessive about the quality of their cars I would say that is a good thing for the brand. I’d like to see Tesla held to a higher standard than legacy car companies, and so far this “whininess” seems to have resulted in significant improvements in car quality.

Keep on complaining!

Lets skip the reason that soooooo many Model 3's ( Tesla's )require service.

1. Can anything be done about the length of time required to get an appointment?

2. What can be done about the length of time needed for repair once the car it at service?
SOOOOO many?

I have had no issues after a year of ownership.

I know two other owners well and neither of them have ever needed service.

Oh, I have posted the service centers before: Burbank and Van Nuys for me. I agree there are good SCs out there, I just don’t live near any of them. Although there is a new one up in Bakersfield, I might drive a bit farther and try that one sometime.

The service center in carlsbad (used to be oceanside) is awesome. Tesla actually combined it with a delivery center and shut down one of the delivery centers farther south. The times I have been there, they treated me fantastic.

The time I went to costa mesa because carlsbad / oceanside did not have the rims to replace my damaged ones, costa mesa treated me fantastic too... even though others say they suck.

/shrug.