Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm coming into the Tesla world from the Toyota/Lexus brand. Service wise, I've been pretty spoiled with my 2006 Prius that currently has 160K+ miles. I've only spent about on average $140/year on oil, filters(oil/air/cabin), and wipers at the dealership. At 100K miles, I replaced all the fluids(coolant, brakes, power steering, transmission) for about $250 (buddy helped me...I paid him for his efforts). I replaced the 12V battery twice at about $150 per battery and the HID bulbs and other lamps. The Prius has not had an overnight stay at dealership or shop..and I've always walked in for routine service.

What type of maintenance and associated costs can I expect with the Model 3? Are there any user serviceable items on the car. Can I walk in to a shop for service or is it all by appointment?

...I've always walked in for routine service...

If your car needs attention right away, then they'll get you in without an appointment but otherwise, there's a wait for routine service.

Tesla is planning to add mobile service to decrease the wait.

...Are there any user serviceable items on the car...

There are very few things for do-it-yourself such as tire service.

We still have to depend on Tesla service because it doesn't sell service manual except for Massachusetts.

And even if you live in Massachusetts, it's just too expensive to access its service manual.

Despite of lack of support for self-fixers, some have been able to fix their Tesla cars such as chargers on their own for a very tiny fraction of Tesla's cost.

That's why I am gonna try and get a job at Tesla as a mechanic. Wanna know what happens to them. Probably going to be like when I worked for Apple. I know how to fix them from years of doing repairs, but I cannot buy the parts so I cannot do the repairs I know how to do.

-Randy